Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412067 Posts in 69447 Topics- by 58483 Members - Latest Member: Exye

June 24, 2024, 10:17:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignTale of Tales discussion (now with more "state of arcade game")
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: Tale of Tales discussion (now with more "state of arcade game")  (Read 23142 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 14, 2011, 11:11:44 AM »

Darksouls is not an exception, it's not supposed to be a AAA.
EDIT: nvm
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 14, 2011, 11:15:02 AM »

AAA in production sense (money dump into it, checklist of effect).
I'm still using AAA as a producer slang (it's original meaning) not the gamer's AAA "notation mark" of top notch quality.

Edit:
Don't edit during my post Concerned
lol

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 14, 2011, 11:22:55 AM »

haha yeah sorry about that. i read your sentence wrong and responded too quickly.  Wink

(this was originally supposed to be another edit to my previous post but now i'm posting it here to avoid making things more confusing:)

Yeah Dark Souls is a niche game from Japan, which is exactly what I said in my post. Hardcore games are still being made, but mostly by niche devs. I don't really have a problem with it and a lot of them are great games, but it'd be nice to see the 40 million dollar budget games like GTA4 get used for something that appeals to hardcore gamers.

Still, Demon's Souls and Dark Souls have higher production values than most niche games and have garnered quite a bit more interest outside of small elitist uber nerd circles than, say, the latest Cave shooter or the latest Atlus JRPG.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 14, 2011, 11:27:37 AM »

As long mainstream don't cut the "mod" blood. Which everytimes they are tempt to do (oh noes cost are to high for you puny human) except mod always outdo them in almost anyway except scales.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 14, 2011, 11:40:06 AM »

Former PC-centric devs migrating to console has severely limited the modding capabilities of most AAA games though. The only major companies still actively supporting mods are Valve, Bethesda and maybe Blizzard to an extent.

Though I guess Little Big Planet 2 is a AAA console game that allows for actual modding rather than just "user generated content." I haven't played the game though so I'm not sure how far you can go with it.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: November 14, 2011, 11:58:55 AM »

the keyword here being "layers"

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 14, 2011, 05:10:19 PM »

What you said about Mother 3 was that the art, music, and story were basically enough to make the game a classic. Everything else you usually rail on got thrown out the window (simplicity, boring gameplay, saving, gimmicks) and your primary defense seems to be that "Mother 3 is an outlier".

No, what I said was that "the plot and audiovisuals are a major part but they're not everything. I mean, if it had been a 50-hour game with craploads of filler it would have been awful, even if it had the best plot or audiovisuals ever seen in any game (which is why I'm also going to be talking a lot about the game's pacing.)" If it was actually boring to play (which it wasn't, relative to other games I've played in its genre) then the best art and music in the world wouldn't have saved it. Maybe they might have made it worth playing through once if it was short enough, but then there are a lot of games worth playing through once for things like that which aren't particularly great.

Railing on "saving" mainly applies to short action games, most specifically the new "modern" 2D kind which elect to effectively put savestates every 30 seconds and completely destroy most of the possible tension. Many of my favorite games have saving systems and would be completely ridiculous without them. Also, I don't really consider the rhythm system a "gimmick" since 1) regular battles would probably be a lot more boring without it and 2) JRPG devs have been experimenting with action-based input in battle since Super Mario RPG (or even before? as far as I know that was the first, I think Paul is this forum's JRPG expert so maybe he knows more on that) and that was probably one of the most elegant variations on that concept I've seen yet.

I don't know how else I can explain this to you, man. I feel like I'm just repeating myself at this point. I'm going to try another approach, the time-tested food analogy (hi Gilbert!): just because your favorite food is, say, foie gras (hey look we're in old territory) doesn't mean that you're always in the mood for foie gras every time you want to eat something. Between main meals, you might just want to have some light snacks in order to refresh yourself a bit. It would be ridiculous to say that the snacks are equal in quality to the main meal (and in fact it might be downright insulting if you did), and it's not like most people with any semblance of taste (heh heh heh heh) would ever want to eat only the snacks (whereas some people might actually want to dedicate themselves to eating nothing but the foie gras, if it's really that awesome and they really like and savor it that much), but that doesn't mean they're awful; there are healthier/tastier snacks (the two things are the exact same thing here, before anyone tries to twist my words and start that god-awful "little young fatty boys need to eat their broccoli" analogy with "artgames" again) and less healthy/less tasty snacks (and obviously you'd want to always eat the healthiest/tastiest snacks possible, and definitely not the bad ones that make you throw up.) That's why we can still call both Advance Wars and Civilization great games, despite the former being a bag of Ruffles potato chips compared to the latter. That's also where genres like JRPGs have usually fit for me, as cute little diversions which I sometimes play between more more "wholesome" games if I'm in a certain mood (but that doesn't mean that the diversion is allowed to, well, suck of course, which is why I can only really say a small handful of them I've played are genuinely good games -- for most of them I just get a few hours in and then stop), and the same also applies for a lot of modern "cinematic" games. (I know some people also feel the same way about "artgames" and it's cool if you do, that in specific is not anything I've ever attacked.) But you've brought up a few valid points during the course of this thread which have made me seriously reconsider the rating I was going to give it at least, so thanks for that.

What exactly makes it an outlier other than the fact that you like it?

Err, does there have to be anything else...? It's not like anyone's aiming to impose an objective scientific standard on videogames or anything.

I see the truth in this, but the artsy games people aren't the only culprits. Saying "these people" is kind of a laugh, considering that you yourself are trying to elevate games to their own category of "high art" that's even higher than the rest (and therefore elevate your own taste and standing?).

I wouldn't feel any need to care at all if the artsy dudes hadn't come in first (despite all the stuff I've written about regarding this subject.) I don't need games to be elevated to "high art" in order to enjoy them like I've been doing all my life, but evidently some guys won't rest until they are and all their arguments for it revolve around trying to make games more "artistic" either by a) the same standards other artforms are judged as "artistic" or b) the same standards "modern art" is judged as artistic, aka putting the artist's "intentions" or "statement" in making a work above the actual value of the work itself (both processes which run contrary to how some of the greatest achievements in other artforms were created, but hey.) There's a dangerous connotation associated with the word "art," despite how people who don't understand how language works might protest ("just because we appropriated a separate label to describe this set of cars as blue doesn't mean that we're implying other cars are any less blue!"), and the main worry here (and one which I think is very reasonable) is that by setting a premium on so-called "artistic qualities" at all costs people are going to end up getting distracted trying to "chase the dragon" instead of focusing first and foremost on making great games and whatever "artistic aspirations"/making players cry second. But to resolve that you need to explain to people why great games are artistic in a way completely orthogonal to all the so-called "juvenile" themes and "male power fantasies" (lol), and to do that you need to explain to people why these other definitions and conceptions of "art" aren't satisfactory in as much detail as possible, and to do that you also need to propose your own definition/criteria to substitute or else you're just left with a meaningless term which can apply to nothing and everything, etc. etc.

As for "elevating my own taste," that's not something I'm particularly concerned with in regards to the whole art debate. I follow my tastes and try new things to see if I enjoy them, everyone else does too, everyone's happy until one group starts to infringe on another. I don't think I actually have super high taste as far as games go, given how I'm still barely exposed to some entire genres (like fighting games.) And history shows that good taste always wins out in the long run anyway, it's only a question of how much time it takes to get there. So either way the future's looking bright in the end.

Most AAA feel like an imitation of everything: movie, music, novel, cinema, game, hardcore, simulation, open world, linear, rpg, action games, their own series.

Jack of all trades master of none.

Not just "AAA" bro, it's everybody. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing for games to look to movies and novels for guidance (like how photographers and filmmakers looked to painting for guidance), let alone other games, but it's really shitty how game developers seem to have some kind of raging inferiority complex about other artforms (which probably feeds back into the whole "art" "cultural legitimacy" thing.)

p.s.

people like Icycalm and his "followers"

You don't have to go to that extreme, David caruso is a nice person

I lol'd
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 07:07:39 PM by DavidCaruso » Logged

Steel Assault devlog - NES-style 2D action platformer: successfully Kickstarted!
Zaphos
« Reply #127 on: November 14, 2011, 05:24:24 PM »

And history shows that good taste always wins out in the long run anyway, it's only a question of how much time it takes to get there. So either way the future's looking bright in the end.
How does history show that?  What does it even mean for a taste to win out?  The smaller-scale trend I see is that the market is just expanding to satisfy a broader range of tastes.
DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 14, 2011, 06:35:04 PM »

And history shows that good taste always wins out in the long run anyway, it's only a question of how much time it takes to get there. So either way the future's looking bright in the end.
How does history show that?  What does it even mean for a taste to win out?  The smaller-scale trend I see is that the market is just expanding to satisfy a broader range of tastes.

I'm not just talking about games with that remark; on a large scale, art history is full of this kind of stuff, man. Just look at so many of history's most prominent artistic geniuses; they weren't just recognized and immortalized on sight. People initially thought that these artists were just equal in value (or sometimes even lesser) than whoever else was most popular at the time. It took almost two centuries after Shakespeare died, and a campaign supported by some of the time period's most eloquent and intelligent writers (like Goethe, Voltaire, and Victor Hugo), to raise him out of the scrap heap and elevate him above other contemporary playwrights like Ben Jonson, to the status he occupies today. Likewise, Rembrandt and Mozart both died penniless, in debt, and in unmarked graves. Even taking it to more recent years, Citizen Kane was neglected and forgotten for more than a decade after its release before it was enshrined as a monumental achievement, and Hitchcock never recieved an Academy Award until he was almost 70. The point is that the initial "popular" reaction to artworks can often miss the mark and not see true genius for what it is (or see genius where there isn't actually any); that's why the critical process is needed, to gradually sift through and determine what's pearls and what's trash. And that's also what it means for a particular taste to win out over a long period of time; people don't still believe today that, for example, Ben Jonson was a better playwright than Shakespeare, and in fact relative to the number of people today who've read Shakespeare the number of people who've read Jonson is pitiful. It's a corrective process, where gradually the most intelligent and eloquent people begin to recognize the greats and forget the mediocre, and their taste filters down to the rest until it's practically become popular opinion. Sometimes it takes a long time, sometimes it doesn't, but at the end of the day it's what happens.

The link with all this to videogames might seem tenuous at first, since throughout a large part of the artform's (still relatively short) history up until more recent years the best games have also been the most popular ones, but it's still there. All these awesome "niche" titles which barely get any mass recognition today are probably going to end up being the ones people are still playing decades from now (and to some degree this is already happening with games that didn't sell well on initial release being reevaluated later, e.g. Planescape: Torment.)

It's not something hugely linked to the main points of my post, but just some food for thought anyway.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 07:02:56 PM by DavidCaruso » Logged

Steel Assault devlog - NES-style 2D action platformer: successfully Kickstarted!
Zaphos
« Reply #129 on: November 14, 2011, 07:14:54 PM »

It's not something hugely linked to the main points of my post, but just some food for thought anyway.
Yeah I just thought it sounded interesting/odd and wanted more detail ... thanks!

I don't have the same faith in that process of 'canonization' of art that you seem to be celebrating.  I think institutionalized "great works" are somewhat arbitrary.  And the institutions we've traditionally relied on to canonize works have also canonized a lot of stuff that you might not call 'great taste', and have some arbitrary biases (for example, against genre fiction).

(Even regarding the extent to which Shakespeare was better than his contemporaries ... I think you must take that partly on faith, since iirc a lot of the work of his contemporaries is lost to time, so we literally can't go see for ourselves if it was better or not.)

Also I wonder how this trickle down theory of taste will be affected by the hive mind of social media, and by machine learning of taste, and by the wide availability of huge catalogs of content.  How different would the cultural memory have been if viewers of shakespeare's plays were told throughout the ages, "hey, you might like ben jonson too!  his user rating is higher and your friends like him!" by some amazon/facebook-esque technology?

edit, adding even more words (xoxo J.R.Hill):
Another issue to consider re "the inevitable long term win of great art" is that wildly popular (but not necessarily great) art today can form a franchise worth billions of dollars, which can be maintained by advertisements, re-runs, remakes, nostalgic related products, etc.  With this level of financial incentive to keep the work alive, culturally, it may not fade away nearly so easily as the popular works of earlier eras.  If we consider food and drink to be art, coca cola could be an example of this effect.  Perhaps it's too early to say, but I wouldn't be surprised if works like Star Wars, Pokemon, etc, have effectively bypassed critical analysis on the route to cultural immortality by being the seeds of lucrative, potentially endless franchises.

(potentially related point: how does monopoly have such long lasting success?)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 10:31:34 PM by Jimmy » Logged
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: November 14, 2011, 09:34:46 PM »

This thread contains far more text than it really should, in my opinion.

hi
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: November 14, 2011, 11:40:44 PM »

This thread contains far more text than it really should, in my opinion.

it's only text like yours that doesn't belong

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 15, 2011, 06:16:45 AM »

How does history show that?  What does it even mean for a taste to win out?  The smaller-scale trend I see is that the market is just expanding to satisfy a broader range of tastes.

Pollocks, kandisky, malevitch, mondrian, duchamps, bastiat, andy warhol. Wink

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: November 15, 2011, 06:19:44 AM »

the idea that "taste" is totally separate from marketing forces is probably a bad idea. people are largely given tastes, they don't have tastes

example: if pizza didn't exist, nobody would have a "taste" for pizza. it's only the repeated exposure to pizza that creates the taste. similarly, if jrpgs didn't exist, nobody would have a taste for them, people gain the taste for them through exposure

Zaphos
« Reply #134 on: November 15, 2011, 04:01:14 PM »

Pollocks, kandisky, malevitch, mondrian, duchamps, bastiat, andy warhol. Wink
elaborate?
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 15, 2011, 04:07:55 PM »

It was more an answer to Caruso
These are all modernist he despise and yet have mark art history.
That those are good taste is debatable as each define a totally different taste.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 15, 2011, 04:08:34 PM »

he be trollin davidcaruso

(Even regarding the extent to which Shakespeare was better than his contemporaries ... I think you must take that partly on faith, since iirc a lot of the work of his contemporaries is lost to time, so we literally can't go see for ourselves if it was better or not.)
The whole "Shakespeare is the greatest writer in human history" thing didn't start until like 150 years after his death btw. Shakespeare was great but the greatest writer who ever lived? idk about that.

Also Hamlet is a genre piece. English playwrights were churning out these revenge tragedies left and right during that time and it was generally considered a "lowbrow" form of theater. He wrote a bunch of lowbrow comedies as well.

To be fair though I think the people who get canonized are at the very least GOOD. That there are are a lot of good artists who don't get canonized is unfortunate but it's kinda inevitable.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 04:20:13 PM by C.A. Sinclair » Logged
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 15, 2011, 05:04:36 PM »

very good is not enough, groundbreaking is

unsilentwill
Level 9

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: November 15, 2011, 05:23:27 PM »

Closer to the original topic, noyb retweeted this: http://linehollis.wordpress.com/2011/11/15/the-wrong-ending/ which should read, but don't have to for the discussion.

ToT are indie game designers actively seeking to see games in different ways than they currently are. So with the question would you play a game you know you couldn't win, they'd say of course, some of their games have a similar aspect, while their detractors would flip out and refuse to play, calling it unfun and a waste of time.

That sort of reaction just reminds me of Fred Savage in the Princess Bride where everything has to go perfectly otherwise what's the point of the story? This is where my elitist attitude comes in and other people start looking childish.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: November 15, 2011, 05:40:43 PM »

Railing on "saving" mainly applies to short action games, most specifically the new "modern" 2D kind which elect to effectively put savestates every 30 seconds and completely destroy most of the possible tension.

Oh, I see. That makes much more sense. What games are you talking about, though? I think the problem is much more prevalent in FPS's and third-person action games.

Also, I don't really consider the rhythm system a "gimmick" since 1) regular battles would probably be a lot more boring without it and 2) JRPG devs have been experimenting with action-based input in battle since Super Mario RPG (or even before? as far as I know that was the first, I think Paul is this forum's JRPG expert so maybe he knows more on that) and that was probably one of the most elegant variations on that concept I've seen yet.

Sabin from FF6 had terrible action-based attacks... but anyway, I'm not sure how those points make it  any less of a gimmick. Or if not a gimmick (what's your exact definition?), a very shallow attempt to improve an otherwise dull battle system.

snacks

I get this... I think I even used a similar analogy once before. But what's your point? That you want different stuff at different times? Right, yeah, that's why it's nice to have all kinds of different games to play...

There's a dangerous connotation associated with the word "art," despite how people who don't understand how language works might protest ("just because we appropriated a separate label to describe this set of cars as blue doesn't mean that we're implying other cars are any less blue!"), and the main worry here (and one which I think is very reasonable) is that by setting a premium on so-called "artistic qualities" at all costs people are going to end up getting distracted trying to "chase the dragon" instead of focusing first and foremost on making great games and whatever "artistic aspirations"/making players cry second. But to resolve that you need to explain to people why great games are artistic in a way completely orthogonal to all the so-called "juvenile" themes and "male power fantasies" (lol), and to do that you need to explain to people why these other definitions and conceptions of "art" aren't satisfactory in as much detail as possible, and to do that you also need to propose your own definition/criteria to substitute or else you're just left with a meaningless term which can apply to nothing and everything, etc. etc.

I have a few problems with this. One, I think you're misrepresenting a (small) group of people just so you have an "enemy". You know how earlier you took issue with the term "dudebro" because it's referencing this vague, invisible group of people? Right, yeah, enter the "artfag" who just wants to cry and only likes abstract art...

You know, irrespective of how they present their views, it seems to me like all ToT wants is to play more games that are not based around skill... they love the look of a lot of modern games but feel like the skill-based obstacles get in their way. Like, they love the idea of virtual worlds but want to interact with them without it being a kind of "sport for nerds", as they say.

Anyway, you obviously share the guilt because otherwise you really wouldn't give a crap what anyone thinks about your juvenile, male power fantasy games. Which brings me to my second problem with your statement:

I think your "worry" (which you cite as the primary motivator) is completely unfounded... creative people will do what they will. If you have something to get out, you'll get it out, whether it's a bullet hell shoot 'em up or an art game. Most artists get their inspiration from themselves as well as a WIDE variety of sources. I mentioned James Jean earlier not because he makes abstract art but because I read that he was inspired in part by people who did (Dadaists and such).

"Artfag" or "dudebro"... either way, you're just creating a phantom to oppress you, even though, as you say, "the future's looking bright in the end". If it's looking bright then why are you worried? You just like getting worked up in the meantime, or what?

Okay, actually I have a third problem:

I wouldn't feel any need to care at all if the artsy dudes hadn't come in first (despite all the stuff I've written about regarding this subject.)

You're really using the "they started it" line of defense?!

The link with all this to videogames might seem tenuous at first, since throughout a large part of the artform's (still relatively short) history up until more recent years the best games have also been the most popular ones, but it's still there. All these awesome "niche" titles which barely get any mass recognition today are probably going to end up being the ones people are still playing decades from now (and to some degree this is already happening with games that didn't sell well on initial release being reevaluated later, e.g. Planescape: Torment.)

"To some degree"... I don't get it, why is it you get to use exceptions to prove your points but not anybody else?

Why do you get to compare games to other artforms (Shakespeare, Citizen Kane), but not anybody else? (As an aside, do you even like Shakespeare or Citizen Kane?!)

Why do you get to enjoy story-driven games but not anybody else?

I know, you're just expressing your opinion. But it seems like a totally mixed up set of rules you have in your head.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic