Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411517 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 09:24:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEnvironmental Station Alpha [Big update coming 10/18!]
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 59
Print
Author Topic: Environmental Station Alpha [Big update coming 10/18!]  (Read 207100 times)
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #540 on: March 19, 2013, 03:33:57 PM »

70% done! Next stop: boss number 11!

kleiba
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: March 19, 2013, 04:04:16 PM »

Woo-hooo!  Tears of Joy
pixhead
« Reply #542 on: March 20, 2013, 10:36:35 AM »

Did you say 11  Crazy
nss_aries
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #543 on: March 20, 2013, 11:29:58 AM »

Good stuff!
Love the metroidvania structure.

JCity
Level 0

Lurking!

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: March 30, 2013, 02:23:28 PM »

Really excited about your game! Keep up the good stuff! Grin
sirleto
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #545 on: March 31, 2013, 06:55:12 AM »

hemp, you gotta make this one. if its one of all your previously started / done things, this one, this!

good luck ^^

TobiasW
Level 8

This can only end brilliantly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #546 on: March 31, 2013, 07:42:21 AM »

I can't stop looking at the gifs in the first post. So delicious!

(The name sounds like a simulation game though.)

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #547 on: April 04, 2013, 04:05:40 PM »

stuff

kleiba
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: April 04, 2013, 08:21:41 PM »

What's up with the swastika in the bottom right corner??
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #549 on: April 04, 2013, 09:50:33 PM »

What's up with the swastika in the bottom right corner??

The main character is a buddhist. Wizard

sirleto
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #550 on: April 05, 2013, 12:54:36 AM »

:-)

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: April 05, 2013, 01:34:21 PM »

muh shodan
TNERB
Level 5

gamez stink

View Profile WWW
« Reply #552 on: April 05, 2013, 04:49:12 PM »

So excited for this game

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #553 on: April 06, 2013, 01:31:03 PM »

REALLY DIGGIN' DE ARTSTYLE
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #554 on: May 04, 2013, 08:05:18 AM »

Blergh. I really really haven't had any time to work on the game at all, and unfortunately this will probably continue throughout the summer! Oh my! However, every now and then I've been tweaking it a bit, so the game's being worked on slowly but steadily.

Yay, boss 11 WIP pic:

(very WIP)

Cellusious
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #555 on: May 04, 2013, 09:50:40 AM »

Blergh. I really really haven't had any time to work on the game at all, and unfortunately this will probably continue throughout the summer! Oh my! However, every now and then I've been tweaking it a bit, so the game's being worked on slowly but steadily.

Yay, boss 11 WIP pic:

(very WIP)

It looks cool, but every piece of art in the past few screenies looks out of place towards the style you had in the game when you started this.
Those skeleton dudes, the flying bosses, the skeleton props, the tiles and so forth just clash with the style and has lower fidelity than your older art in the project. Sad

sorry, but it looks like you lost your ability to art good.  Sad

EDIT:

Like;

It seems like you're great at low res but when you try to replicate it in larger forms it breaks and becomes weak and "un-characteristic?"

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #556 on: May 04, 2013, 10:24:37 AM »

Perhaps this implicates that I'm an awful artist and using low-res art is a good way to hide that fact?  Wizard Mysterious!

I can't really argue with what you said, I'm quite certain that as the developer of the game I've become completely blind to what looks good and what doesn't. However, I disagree with the 'fidelity' claim - I'm actually not entirely sure what you mean with it. If we look at the GIF you linked, the quicksand is literally two colours tiled a repetitive pattern, and so on - I'm not really sure of how to react to a claim of the game's visual fidelity decreasing over time, because I think it's been very low the whole time. (Also I find it a bit sad that you chose a GIF with no background to get your point across! Tongue ) Also also stuff like the temple tiles and skeleton props were mostly designed before I started working on the game, so in case the claim of lower-quality-over-time falls over those as well, I really don't know what to say other than that in reality I'm not very good an artist. Smiley

Also also also also also also

Uhh... Hmm. Oh well. I guess there'd be a whole arsenal of witty responses that I could use that all boil down to "I'm too lazy to fix them, deal with it" except with varying degrees of kindness/rudeness. However, I'd rather just ask a question to maybe get an idea of where the problem lies. When you look at the latest screenshots etc., is the problem with the enemies? Just the larger objects? Are also the tiles awful in the more recent screenshots?

Does this

look thoroughly horrible to you, or is the inherent horribleness related to certain details about it?

EDIT: Thanks for the very informative discussion!

post-facelift:
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 01:45:37 PM by Hempuli‽ » Logged

Polyphonic Entity
Level 0

Melting Brains With Sound Waves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #557 on: May 05, 2013, 04:09:08 PM »

I follow this thread since a few months and was very sad  Cry that there were no updates for the last few weeks.

And now this ... "I really really haven't had any time to work on the game at all, and unfortunately this will probably continue throughout the summer!"  Shocked Cry

But seriously, I'm looking very much forward to this game. I also think you should not degrade yourself so much as artist. Looking at your screens is enjoyment Smiley. Nice colors and a very vivid style in general.

However I want to make 2 small, more detailed notes about the recent graphics. I may be wrong and look at it differently tomorrow but: I think Cellusious is right regarding the screen with the ghosts. In my opinion it looks a bit to flat and lacks details compared to the earlier screens. The black background of the screen is not the problem, more the frame around it and other elements that are there. And the problem is not the quality of the screen itself but that it seems to be not in line with the screens before.

And now it comes and maybe I just need to put on more glasses: The facelift screen looks to detailed compared to the earlier work. Exactly the other way around  Smiley Again, the style itself is not the problem, in fact I think the screenshot looks great. The problem is that it is not in line with the rest anymore. I may be wrong tho and I love the game anyways Smiley
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #558 on: May 07, 2013, 12:19:19 AM »

Well, since the game has been this long in development and I assume Hempuli‽ did not make an styleguide at the beginning, it's only natural the style changes as time goes by.
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #559 on: May 07, 2013, 01:32:49 AM »

I think it looks great and the only think I can see is that the new screenshot which is also only WIP is blown up larger then the gif so gives off the wrong impression when comparing.

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 59
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic