Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411516 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 09:40:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWhat's In The Box?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What's In The Box?  (Read 2260 times)
jmac
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2012, 07:44:53 PM »

Story

You are Fenway MacCallister, Air Commander of the Intergalactic Postal Service.  Given the prestigious history of the organization, all employees swear an oath to deliver their cargo through the likes of sandstorms, meteor showers, and even the cold, boney hands of Death himself.  On his latest mission, Commander MacCallister's ship is hit by an unknown object and hurtled toward an unknown planet, where it crashes with great force.  With his mission still at hand, MacCallister grabs the remaining package from the cargo hold and sets off on foot for adventure.

Type of Game

A 2-D adventure game similar to the Sierra Quest games in the 80's and early 90's.  This will, however, be confined to one direction of movement (side-scroller).

Gameplay

The game will follow a set story, however, you will take side objectives as well.  As a side-scrolling adventure game, there will also be in-depth puzzle elements which will involve you getting the package you are carrying through tight spaces, up rock walls, and through many potentially deadly scenarios.

Designs

Updated 03/28/12.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 08:25:46 PM by jmac » Logged
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 08:09:08 PM »

Saw your little guy in the Arts thread. He looks great and can't wait to see more of what you have planned  Smiley

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 08:25:03 PM »

Lol that guy cracks me up so much for some reason...

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 01:16:04 AM »

Damn you!! Angry Now I want to know what's in the box! Angry

How long will this game take you to make? Don't take too long as I think the suspense may kill me. Waaagh!

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 01:19:33 AM »

It contains another box. And its boxes all the way down..

jmac
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 08:28:20 PM »

Thanks for the feedback.  Here's a few more in the meantime... i'll be posting more animations in the next day or so, as well as some environment art.

Birdorf
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 12:50:25 AM »

I'm signing up, can't wait to see more of this guy, he looks great.
Jay Tholen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 10:41:00 AM »

Very cool concept. Is this going to be story driven (with the thing-in-the-box having an major impact on the game), or is the box just a plot device to build a fun game around? Either way it looks rad.

Dropsy!

Hypnospace Outlaw - You're a cop/moderator of the future-internet, which looks suspiciously like Geocities. Also you have a sweet car.
jmac
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 11:22:17 AM »

Thanks guys.  Definitely going to be story driven, more toward old Sierra adventure games (the humour in Space Quest in particular) with the puzzle elements coming from making sure the box is not left behind.  More soon.
jmac
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 01:49:08 PM »

Removed old cover image.
Did up a cover image.  More soon, been very busy with work. (UPDATED)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 07:07:07 PM by jmac » Logged
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 05:36:47 PM »

Great cover image, love the style and perspective.

jmac
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 07:34:11 PM »

Did another image in 80s cartoon style.  Been working on level designs, will hopefully show something soon.
jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 07:44:13 PM »

I like the latest image. A large improvement over the original in my opinion. I also like the little guy and the animations - very smooth!

andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 08:12:03 PM »

That's not a very safe way to carry one's box. I have a great deal of experience carrying boxes to and fro, and my expert opinion says Commander McCallister seems liable to drop his box. Better to hold it firmly by the bottom, supporting it with one's arms like a forklift, or have each hand on an opposite side of the far-bottom end of the box while resting the near edge on one's chest.

Also, this title reminds me of a rabbit hole

from forever ago of the same title

Shenanigans aside, I'm interested in seeing this develop. Good luck with the project

makallenz
Level 0

Game artist and animator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 03:33:50 PM »

Se7en?
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 05:03:40 PM »

Also, this title reminds me of a rabbit hole

from forever ago of the same title
God damnit I forgot about this thread after I saw that video, and then thought this was a game based on that video.

jmac
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 07:06:17 PM »

jmcmorris - I think so too, thanks for the feedback.

Andy Wolff - The box will be dropped quite a bit and will suffer 'battle damage' throughout the game... it's good for laughs that he doesn't carry it properly, but I'll work on his carrying techniques lol.  Thanks for the comments.

Bitemore - Se7en actually was the inspiration for the working title, which led to the game idea.  A friend and I used to quote that line a lot. Tongue

It's just a working title BTW.  Finally have some free time, and looking forward to drawing, so expect more this week.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic