Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411632 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 13, 2024, 01:44:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1452342 times)
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #720 on: October 21, 2013, 01:30:02 PM »

OH WOW, WHAT THE FUCK, HOW DID I NOT SEE THIS GAME EARLIER

IS IT EVEN POSSIBLE FOR A GAME TO LOOK LIKE THIS???

Came here to post pretty much exactly the same thing. Holy jebus this is looking good.

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #721 on: October 22, 2013, 02:08:08 AM »

Thank you  Smiley As for website, idk... This is not a commercial game, it's just a hobby project. Even if it has been taken one level further by James convincing me to submit to IGF. The question is, would you really prefer for me to spend time on making a website, rather than making the game?

Update 188
I've been taking a few days off from Rain World after the big IGF work rush. Today I picked it up again. The game feels much nicer with finished menues everywhere! But some of the typography still looks pretty awful. For now I'm focusing on the functionality, and then I can return to the graphical specifics later.

This is the match over screen I've been talking about, now programmed and functioning, not just mocked-up:

(Click for full size)

And this is what I did today,

a special game over screen for waves mode that lists all the lizards you've killed. The little crosses even appear one by one (quickly) with one of James' sounds accompanying them. Pretty awesome!

Both of these end game screens can scale up and down to accommodate different amounts of crosses/players, and move up and down accordingly so they appear in a spot that's easy on the eyes. The match over screen can display different outcomes such as draws, doesn't say "Winner!" if there's only one player, etc etc.

And yeah, the menues change color to match the level they're on. Thought that would be a nice little detail Smiley
compostface
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #722 on: October 22, 2013, 09:36:19 AM »

Those menus look pretty good!  I was apprehensive about the graffiti font style at first, but those menus are meshing well with the overall look.

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #723 on: October 22, 2013, 02:03:31 PM »

Man, the menus are looking great!

Still iffy about Match Complete but that might have to do with that stage's color palette. Game Over is looking pretty cool.

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #724 on: October 25, 2013, 01:32:06 AM »

We're up on IGF!  Grin

Update 189
James just sent me a new batch of sounds, menu sounds specifically, and I'll start implementing those. Other than that I've done a little level editing and tiles since last time.

Also:

STICK ARRAOUND!

The white lizards are the ones that change color to blend with the environment, and when they're hurt they glitch out and blink like that.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #725 on: October 25, 2013, 12:25:35 PM »

Update 190
Biiiiig sound update. Now all the menu interactions have sounds. It makes a huge impact on the feel of the menu, really makes everything more solid.

Also I added other "HUD" sounds, such as "custom game match started", "game over", "score", "kill", etc. Still a few things to go perhaps, for example the pause menu is still completely silent.

And as a bonus I finally made a sound for when the slug cat is chewing on a fly. I mixed together some old stuff I had with some new stuff I got from James, and managed a chew with just a little bit of wetness to it. It sounds OK. A fly is eaten in three bites. I've made the last bite have a slightly more high pitched sound, as a subtle cue that the fly is finished.
Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #726 on: October 25, 2013, 02:44:29 PM »

God I can't wait to hear this game with sound effects, it's going to be super raaaaaaad.
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #727 on: October 25, 2013, 11:59:03 PM »

God I can't wait to hear this game with sound effects, it's going to be super raaaaaaad.

yaay! its going to be awesome! but... also might take a while to get right. immersion is a big factor in this game, and the last thing i want to do is have sounds that take the player out of the game world, breaking the tension or otherwise affecting the mood.

the menu clicks and bleeps are going in the right direction, we have a pretty good ambient/atmospheric sound world already in place (plus i personally really like the action sounds Joar did initially), and now were moving into getting the non-diagetic stuff like sfx for "points", player indications, etc., and that for me is going to be the tricky part.

When I first saw rain world, i had a very very clear concept. for me, a huge strength of the game is your emotional connection to this lone, cute white little creature in this crazy death filled environment, and i wanted the aural experience to amplify that. sound effects would essentially be extensions of the emotion and instinct of the character; a subtle "fly sense" when prey is nearby, an unsettling feeling when lizards are close, an impending sense of dread when the rains begin to come. Even much of the music was to be an extension of the character: the beating of the heart, blood pumping through veins, hunger in stomach, etc.

But! Of course getting that to work AND be clearly understandable to the person playing it may take a bit of time and trial and error. Anyway, ive been thinking about all this for over a year, so im just happy to get a chance to finally talk about it  Tears of Joy

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #728 on: October 26, 2013, 12:41:18 AM »

Great approach to the sound and I'm really looking forward to hearing it and seeing it in game.

This is definitely the game I'm most looking forward to on these forums.

Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #729 on: October 26, 2013, 01:43:07 AM »

As always, great stuff and progress!

When I see those lizards and the spear, I want a special special lockjaw attack (maybe triggered randomly when you attack in close combat). The lizard would be stunned for some seconds trying to get rid of the spear like a barfing dog (if you know what I mean). Smiley
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #730 on: October 26, 2013, 03:48:41 AM »

This game looks so wild. I love the sort of animation style you're using for the monsters and everything, it makes them so much more lively than traditional sprites!

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #731 on: October 27, 2013, 03:33:55 PM »

Surprised it wasn't posted yet, so here's the

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #732 on: October 27, 2013, 07:45:44 PM »

the framerate is ridiculous

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Reilly
Level 2

14/f/tx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #733 on: October 27, 2013, 08:16:37 PM »

Pretty positive that's just a stylistic choice for the trailer.

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #734 on: October 27, 2013, 10:05:41 PM »

Surprised it wasn't posted yet, so here's the

ahhh the secret is out! i really appreciate you saying its awesome. it was a frantic, stressful weeks work for me. I had actually hired some video peeps to do it (as neither Joar or I have much video experience), but had to do it myself last minute when they didnt deliver.

Pretty positive that's just a stylistic choice for the trailer.

yeahhhh, this was my first time doing a trailer and i thought the effect was cool, but obviously didnt consider that it makes it look like the framerate is bad in-game :/ nothing could be further from the truth. its one of the reasons we didn't post the trailer publicly actually.

the judges will get to play the game and see for themselves, etc etc, but to preempt this i also included 2 little movement teasers in the IGF thing (you might be familiar with them):

Lizards:

Showdown:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKqbqJF082Y
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 01:43:34 PM by jamesprimate » Logged

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #735 on: October 28, 2013, 12:35:47 PM »

the framerate is ridiculous
that's what was bugging me the whole time when I was watching it, 'is it the video's or my pc's fault?'

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #736 on: October 28, 2013, 01:37:07 PM »

Jame , lizards goes to showdown and showdown goes to lizards
Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #737 on: October 28, 2013, 01:44:22 PM »

I'm usually not very fussy about frame rate, but in this case I have to agree it does make it hard to watch. For a game that looks so good in motion it seems an odd choice to deliberately break that fluidity.

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #738 on: October 28, 2013, 01:54:12 PM »

This game looks great!  Shocked

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #739 on: October 29, 2013, 03:10:58 PM »

It's always good to see people doing neat experiments with procedural animation. The lizards are particularly good- there's a lot of great subtlety to their movements. I particularly like the way they turn around.

I've been messing with this sort of thing too- mostly bipeds.

The magical propulsion force of the body is dependent on how many limbs are currently connected to terrain, making the speed of movement uneven and synced to the movement of the limbs
That's a good idea.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic