Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411530 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 02:31:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsRequest a Tutorial
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 27
Print
Author Topic: Request a Tutorial  (Read 182733 times)
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 02, 2008, 08:56:31 PM »

Some more Scirra Construct tutorials would be nice  Smiley
Especcialy platformer ones  Wink

I'm currently making a series of platformer tutorials for Construct Smiley

Well actually it's been put on hold because of the Commonplace Book compo, but when the compo is over, I'm going right back to work on it.

tweet tweet @j_younger
KniteBlargh
Level 4

Blargh...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: November 03, 2008, 05:42:51 AM »

Some more Scirra Construct tutorials would be nice  Smiley
Especcialy platformer ones  Wink

I'm currently making a series of platformer tutorials for Construct Smiley

Well actually it's been put on hold because of the Commonplace Book compo, but when the compo is over, I'm going right back to work on it.
I look forward to seeing your completed tutorials. At the moment, I'd still like to keep pushing myself to learn how to use GM, but I'm also interested in Construct.

Speaking of GM, I wouldn't mind a tutorial that explains how to create speech bubbles that come from objects when they're clicked for the absolute idiot.

Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 03, 2008, 12:10:53 PM »

Also, the Animator's Survival Kit - which I'm guessing that second tutorial is cribbed from - will change your life if you make animations.

I just picked this up. So awesome!

Formerly "I Like Cake."
neon
Level 10

DOHOHOHOHO

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 03, 2008, 05:20:14 PM »

yeah, i think everyone, animator or not, needs that book.

Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: November 04, 2008, 08:51:43 AM »

Also, the Animator's Survival Kit - which I'm guessing that second tutorial is cribbed from - will change your life if you make animations.

It's got breakdowns for all kinds of walk cycles, and pretty much any other movement that's a little tricky to put together.
I've heard great things of this book, I might get this for christmas!
 Grin
Woah, back up a bit. I own this book. Got it signed by the author, who, by the way, was lead animator on Roger Rabbit and assistant animator on the intro credits for the original Pink Panther movie, so the guy knows his stuff. I was an animation student at the time and when I said at a that this book was like a breath of air, never mind fresh air, and that I felt like I was drowning before I got his book the room filled with applause of approval. It's a really good book.

EDIT: There should also be mentioned that in games secondary animation is more important than initial animation because you want response to be instant so you can't have the "take" before a movement every time the player moves (okay, it worked for Prince of Persia, but there are exceptions to every rule) but on the other hand a few frames after movement stops, recovering after a jump and whatnot, can be brilliant. For an example see the Castlevania series after it's jump to the GBA.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 08:57:31 AM by guesst » Logged

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: November 06, 2008, 09:53:55 AM »

I would REALLY appreciate a good tutorial on organic poly modeling.  Smiley

But I don't know how many of you do 3D.  Undecided

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 08, 2008, 01:17:50 PM »

I was wondering if anyone would be able to make a quick-start tutorial for fmod with C++.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
increpare
« Reply #107 on: November 08, 2008, 01:22:08 PM »

I was wondering if anyone would be able to make a quick-start tutorial for fmod with C++.
only if you're using xcode  :D

have you tried installing it yet, or checked out the examples?
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 13, 2008, 10:23:00 PM »

May I request a Box2d Tutorial? For Python or for AS3?

neon
Level 10

DOHOHOHOHO

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 13, 2008, 10:50:15 PM »

i dream of a tutorial from toastie or ishi about setting up a 3d engine.

Kiss pleeeeeease

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: November 22, 2008, 11:02:10 AM »

May I request a Box2d Tutorial? For Python or for AS3?

I see your Box2D for Python tutorial and raise you a Chipmunk (pymunk) for Python tutorial.

Mainly because I've already been using pymunk, and know precisely what to do to make a basic tutorial.

GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 22, 2008, 11:09:30 AM »

I would REALLY appreciate a good tutorial on organic poly modeling.  Smiley

But I don't know how many of you do 3D.  Undecided

Seconded.

Even for those of us who know some 3D ("architectural" 3D in my case...buildings are quite easy...organic buildings/people, not so much) this would be very useful.
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: November 22, 2008, 11:31:44 AM »

Also I'd like to second the math "tutorial", I'm terrible at math and it took me forever to learn what I do know.

The reason I put quotes around "tutorial" is because it would probably hurt more than help if we were seriously trying to teach math. Most math tutorials I see are too abstract, they feel the need to really try and teach you the math behind things before they even show a single line of code. This usually involves a lot of math notation and while it might be the "right" way of teaching, it is not the "good enough" way, and will get tossed by people who just want to turn the design in their head into a game. Instead, we could just compile a list of micro-howtos (both 2d and 3d), such as:

Find the angle from one point to another
Move an object in a certain direction, given an angle and velocity
Collision detection for a platformer
Calculate line-of-sight
Rotate an object from one orientation to another in the shortest path possible (not obvious in 3d)
Math invovled in making a Qix clone (lots of sub-problems, much harder than you'd think, I tried and failed)

These are some pretty simple examples, but for non-math people they aren't obvious and can waste peoples' time since they have pretty obviously been figured out.

___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 22, 2008, 06:28:38 PM »

I hereby request some sort of advanced parallax tutorial.  Sure, parallax scrolling is easy enough, but not when I want to control what the parallaxing layers should be "aligned" with, you know?  Sort of like the water in Sonic 3, it all lines up on one line when the camera is right over the water.  I cant find anything on the internet about this stuff.

Basically parallax with fine tuned controllable offsets would be awesome.
increpare
« Reply #114 on: November 22, 2008, 07:28:12 PM »

I hereby request some sort of advanced parallax tutorial.  Sure, parallax scrolling is easy enough, but not when I want to control what the parallaxing layers should be "aligned" with, you know?  Sort of like the water in Sonic 3, it all lines up on one line when the camera is right over the water.  I cant find anything on the internet about this stuff.
Could you find a video of that?  It sounds like it should be pretty doable...a matter of drawing things on the background in response to the foreground?

Hmm...say you had a level of width 2, and a background of width 1.  If you place an object at a point x in the foreground, you could dynamically generat an object at a point x/2 in the background when you're loading the level.  This assumes that you've coded your parallax in such a way that when you're standing at a foreground point x, the background coord behind you is x/2, but it seems pretty doable?  This wouldn't be so much about fine-tuning the parallax, as fine-tuning background-layer generation.  Even if you don't do it dynamically, it would be pretty easy to manually keep track of what should be put where in a map editor. (indeed, this seems like it might be approached better from the direction of adding some sort of coordination-functionality to the map-editor than fiddling with the parallax).

I hadn't thought of the technique before, but it sounds like a really nice idea Smiley
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 07:32:23 PM by increpare » Logged
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: November 22, 2008, 08:08:23 PM »

I think he means that water is moving like a real 3D plane and aligned with the camera when at water level.
Actually that's something that's easy to do with 3D, so my ercommendation would be to use a 2d-in-3D engine to do this, and just place the layers at different Z offsets. I recently did just that for a parallax scrolling.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 22, 2008, 09:02:24 PM »

I think he means that water is moving like a real 3D plane and aligned with the camera when at water level.
Actually that's something that's easy to do with 3D, so my ercommendation would be to use a 2d-in-3D engine to do this, and just place the layers at different Z offsets. I recently did just that for a parallax scrolling.

What about those of us limited to MMF and GM :I
increpare
« Reply #117 on: November 22, 2008, 09:11:51 PM »

Okay, now I'm confused.  Screenshot/video anyone?
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 22, 2008, 09:17:54 PM »

Okay, now I'm confused.  Screenshot/video anyone?

Notice how the water looks early in the video (like 10 seconds in)  There's the water level that's on the gameplay layer, and then surrounding that layer are different images that scroll at a different rate in both axis, but they all align with that gameplay water level when the camera is centered on it.
increpare
« Reply #119 on: November 22, 2008, 09:33:40 PM »

Notice how the water looks early in the video (like 10 seconds in)  There's the water level that's on the gameplay layer, and then surrounding that layer are different images that scroll at a different rate in both axis, but they all align with that gameplay water level when the camera is centered on it.
It looks like there are two separate background layers, one for below water, and one for above.   There might be other stuff going on, but it seems like it might just be a trick like that.  I can't make out any overlapping layers that are visible around the water-level.  The foreground water-splashing seems to be statically-placed.  Worth trying out?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 27
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic