Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 04:37:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhall1 game sold = 1 dollar loan with Kiva.org
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 1 game sold = 1 dollar loan with Kiva.org  (Read 5309 times)
Mathieu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: November 14, 2008, 05:08:57 AM »

It's not a game announcement but I bet some of you'll find the idea interesting. Being Indie means you can do things like this that big companies can't...

Today Frogames makes its first loans on www.kiva.org to unique entrepreneurs in the developing world attempting to lift themselves out of poverty.
Now Frogames wants to go further and Kiva is a great opportunity for the team to support the working poor.

Kiva is a person-to-person micro-lending website, empowering individuals to lend directly to unique entrepreneurs in the developing world.
The loans made to people on www.kiva.org help them make great strides towards economic independence and improve life for themselves, their family and their community.
For every game “Penguins Arena” sold, Frogames makes a 1 dollar loan. The Frogames Team currently lends to 3 entrepreneurs in Togo and Nigeria.

More information on our blog.

Frogames.com - Games for Mac & PC | Frogames.net - 3d models & content packs for game developers
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 05:19:07 AM »

<mandatory whining about lack of Linux version>
Pretty fun idea, though. Honorable.  Gentleman Given that this isn't a marketing scheme.

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 12:06:54 PM »

I am also already doing this with Immortal Defense, although I'm doing it at 10%, which I guess is $1.30 or so (BMT-Micro takes about 2$ of its current 15$ price). Did you get the idea from me, or did we arrive at the idea independently? Smiley

Mathieu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 01:05:44 PM »

Did you get the idea from me, or did we arrive at the idea independently? Smiley

We heard about Kiva.org last week from a friend. The idea seduce us and a few days ago we decided to share our little profits with them. Glad to see other indie developers use Kiva!

Frogames.com - Games for Mac & PC | Frogames.net - 3d models & content packs for game developers
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 01:07:22 PM »

It's possible that friend heard about it through me, I posted it on the indiegamer.com forums and then someone started a casual_games group to compete with my indiegames group -- so far the casual group is still ahead, but not by too much :D

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 09:21:30 AM »

A game...

about penguins...

with no linux version?

at least the artwork is cool.

Kudos to finding an interesting way to encourage sales.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic