Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 01:33:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsTutorial: Design Documents
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Tutorial: Design Documents  (Read 9853 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 14, 2008, 12:23:22 PM »

Intro
A lot of people don't design their games first in any written form, they keep it all in their head or just make the game up as they go along. That's fine, but some games are too large for that, and some games take so long that you begin to forget some of the stuff in your head. If you have a team, a design document helps everyone as a reference source.

Some people feel that writing things down is restrictive, but I don't think so myself, I find it makes me more creative to have all the ideas written down in front of me, rather than trying to come up with things as I need them. And it's not as if you design the game once and then make it without editing the design at all, the design usually changes as the game goes through development.

Media
The format doesn't really matter, but I find a Wiki to be the most useful, because it can be edited quite easily as needed, and because it can be shared with others on the team online.

The best two I've come across are MediaWiki (which Wikipedia uses) and DocuWiki. DocuWiki has the advantage that it doesn't require a MySQL database, it runs entirely on text files, so it can be run on free servers without any MySQL benefits. There are also wiki's which can be set up on your hard drive, but I find them less useful because I usually work with others online on games.

Format
I'd recommend using the design document primarily for "lists" -- the type of list varies with the type of game, but often it includes a list of enemies, a list of playable characters, a list of areas or levels, a list of the music the game will need, and so on. Typically my design documents are around 80% lists, and around 20% description of the game in general.

Each item in a list, for example an enemy list, wouldn't just list the names and that's it, it'd also describe it to some degree: what the enemy does, how it moves, strategies the player might use against it, places where the enemy appears, etc., typically a paragraph or two is enough.

It's also important to think about the overall idea of the game, what it's trying to accomplish as a whole, and include a few sections on that.

Length
The length of the design document varies by the complexity of the game; I've written design documents which were only a few pages long, and others which were hundreds of pages. Try to include enough information about something that when you get to coding something or drawing something you have a good idea about what you're trying to do, but not so detailed as to include too much unnecessary information.

Also, it's a good idea to make the game and the design document at about the same time: don't spend a few months making the design document and then a few months making the game, because that just leads to laziness, it's better to start the game prototype first, work on it every day, and occasionally add to the design document during the process of creation. I find that it's easy to fall into the trap of all design no actual work, so try to avoid that.

Examples
Here's the design document of the game I'm working on now as an example; it's incomplete and contains spoilers so if you do check it out skip the characters and story section. Although the game of course will change in the future, so don't take the design there to be a good representation of how the game will ultimately end up. But reading that can give you a good idea of the format I use and what a design doc looks like.

Here are two good examples of design documents I've come across:
- Planescape Torment's design document
- Metal Gear Solid 2's design document

I'm sure there are more (feel free to add them) but those two are the most interesting I've read so far.

Use
The main use of design documents is as a primer for working on parts of your game. For instance, when working on a new enemy, you can go and look at what you wanted that enemy to do, even if you wrote that part 20 months ago, and then have an idea about how to proceed, rather than having no starting point. It's not meant to be something restrictive, don't feel as if you have to translate the document directly, it should work more the way an outline to a novel works.

Also, don't use it as a substitute for a to-do list: you'd still probably need a separate to-do list for all the tasks you want to do next for the game, to list bugs you need to fix, and so on.

Another great use of a design document is to share it with others on the team, get their input, and then change parts of it after discussing the game, to give the team a shared vision of what they want the game to be like. That's more difficult if there's nothing written down, because often team members have completely different ideas of what the game will be like if they don't have a shared reference.

Most likely the design document will be more ambitious than the game itself, if you want to get the game done at all. It's easy to list 100 enemies and all the ideas you have for each, but it's harder to code them all in, so generally parts of the design document probably won't make it into the game. That's true of the MGS2 and Torment documents above, and it's probably true of most design documents, so don't be afraid to "over-design" with the intention of only including the best parts of the design in the actual game. I.e. don't be afraid to write up descriptions for 100 enemies, and then just use the 40 or 20 best ideas in the game. Don't feel that a game is only complete if it contains everything in the design document, it can be complete even if it only includes half of the stuff in there.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 12:35:33 PM by rinkuhero » Logged

Powergloved Andy
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 12:45:47 PM »

good job, rinkuhero.  Beer!

I feel most people, specially people new to game dev, don't understand how important making design docs are. Many people think that if you just do your design on the fly it will save you time, which is not always the case. I find my design docs are best printed out so I can manually scribble check marks and mark stuff out, and then later go to design doc and amend it to my written notes. Otherwise, you're having to keep opening windows, and switch back and forth, which people are more easily to procrastinate doing.

Very useful information!  Gentleman

ALSO
a program I like to use is a freeware program called Celtx: http://celtx.com/

It's a screenwriting software but has a lot of other nice features, and is able to format your writings in many ways. Even comic book layout manuscripts. And exports to PDF and has a cool collab system so teammates can go in see what you've done and add to or reference. It's great for keeping a database of scenery and characters, too.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 12:54:25 PM by Powergloved Andy » Logged
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 09:39:43 PM »

Good on ya for creating this.  Beer!

I think a lot of young rash designers might look over this and scoff, but all of us that have been doing this long enough know just how valuable design docs really are.

And thanks for linking to the MGS2 design doc.  Having just (finally) played through it last summer, it's all fairly fresh, and I thought the story was absolutely excellent.

SPOILERS
I love that I still don't know whether or not the Arsenal Gear sequence was real or virtual; that game really got you thinking.  And the whole thing at the end about how our society is guilty of "information pollution," has become even more relevant now that sites like youtube exist (and are heavily used).
Noel Berry
Level 4

Yarr!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 10:28:10 PM »

Great tutorial. I'm not all that great at creating design documents, and this is a pretty clean tutorial with good examples which cleared up a lot of stuff for me.

Thanks for writing it! Smiley

GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 12:17:21 AM »

I'm going to try and get my younger brother to do a design document for his current GM game.  He explained a bunch of it to me, and emailed me some pretty nice screenshots, and as I was quite impressed I really want him to actually make it.  I figure a design doc certainly wouldn't hurt the chances of it actually getting made.
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 07:42:48 AM »

Quote from: architekt
I figure a design doc certainly wouldn't hurt the chances of it actually getting made.
I would actually argue with that. So many great game ideas end up as a design doc and no game at all. My take is that you don't really need a detailed and sophisticated documentation for a small game you're making yourself.
Especially when you don't have too much experience in game making. It's easy to bloat your game design doc with loads of cool-but-impossible-to-make ideas (or just plainly bad ideas that work well on paper).

Jumping straight into making the game gives you something to work on in the future at least, as opposed to a huge text file full of stuff that makes you feel tired and discouraged just by looking at it.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
qubodup
Level 1

icons?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 12:12:38 PM »

Hey, thanks for that MGS2 GDD link! Smiley

I know of one (FreeGameDev) two (LÖVE) more threads on the topic of game design documents.

The greatest resource on game design is Lost Garden. Simply search. Or read Why you should share your game designs or Using a blog as a game design document, my favorites so far.

PS: the "Introduction" header is not logically on the same level as the other headers (is this understandable? Smiley ) and I think it might de-confuse if you removed it.
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 06:59:25 PM »

Thank you for this, very useful. I've been at a loss trying to write a design doc in the past, and your essay is certainly enlightening.

Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 01:24:17 AM »

Among other things, this inspired me to get back to a document I've been working on on and off. Thanks  Grin
I know I should be prototyping this while I document it, but I think there's one other project I have to work on first... good advice though.
Also, if anyone wants to document their game and ISN'T working in a team, may I recommend Tiddlywiki? It's been a great help in organizing my thoughts. (Actually, I think it can be used for collaborative websites as well, but I'm not sure how well it works for that)

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 08:11:08 PM »

That sounds plenty useful, Kobel. Thanks,

theseethrumirror
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 12:19:26 PM »

I definitely think that design documents are essential, especially if you are new to game design. They act as a way of communicating your ideas to others and fully fleshing out your own ideas for yourself. They act as a way to consider your own design in a way you may not have before.

And for the record, I'm a young/up and coming game designer, and I think design documents are important! =P

-look through it towards the world and see that the world is you-
Mr Dumle
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 08:57:42 AM »

I'm been part of way to many projects where some guy works a design doc tirelessly (and probably thinks he is doing everyone a big favor because of all the hours he put into it) when the acctual game gets nowhere. I believe in keeping it vague until the game prototype is complete.

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 08:03:13 AM »

If you are finding that a design doc does more hurt than help (such as put your project perpetually in a planning stage, or force you to implement ideas that might not work) then check out this:

http://lostgarden.com/2008/12/post-it-note-design-docs.html

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008, 09:56:37 AM »

I think that method could work for 1-person games, but it'd be really annoying for games done with a team, since only one person would be able to read the design doc.

mirosurabu
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 10:06:01 AM »

One good case when design documents can be useful with games developed by one person is when game is developed over longer period of time. Otherwise, game design outline is enough and full design document might turn to be just a waste of time.

Typical design documents (bibles) for popular commercial games should not be examples though, for they are way too large, detailed and well-written, things which are of no use to one-person development and are time-wasters in such case.

Good tutorial, anyways. Beer!
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2008, 10:09:02 AM »

Those can be useful even for small teams, though. A poorly written design document is a handicap even for a team of 2 or 3.

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2008, 11:20:06 AM »

Quote from: Metal Gear Solid 2
With Metal Gear Solid 2, we will not try to improve the quality of all the various areas of the game’s
visuals, but instead use the hardware’s capabilities to implement certain features that were previously
impossible. An example would be limiting the character models to 1,500 polygons and using the extra
power obtained as a result to increase the number of simultaneous on-screen enemy soldiers to several
hundred. Or, we could have dead bodies remain indefinitely. Whatever the case, we will use the machine’s
advanced capabilities to expand the game’s mechanics. We will use the PlayStation 2’s capabilities to
strengthen Metal Gear as a game. Instead of building up its visuals, we will build up its world.

We will not pursue cinematic visuals!

hahahahahahahahaaaaaa

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2008, 12:34:28 PM »

Haha, yeah, design documents often have things that are very funny if you played the finished game -- the planescape torment one is similar.

GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2008, 04:13:53 PM »

I just love that it's coming from Kojima!  :D

KOJIMA!!!  :D :D :D
gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2009, 08:15:01 AM »