Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411530 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 01:58:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsManifold Garden
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 63
Print
Author Topic: Manifold Garden  (Read 395111 times)
0x0961h
Level 2

Quantum Demon

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 16, 2014, 11:59:36 PM »

Maybe this (or maybe, also, this, this or this) could help you?

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #341 on: August 18, 2014, 08:39:51 AM »

Maybe this (or maybe, also, this, this or this) could help you?

Thanks for the links! I'll be diving into the pencil sketch shader later this month. These will definitely come in handy.

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #342 on: August 18, 2014, 12:16:04 PM »

DevLog Update #80 - 08/18/2014

Post-Mortem: The MIX Showcase @ SIGGRAPH

Hey all! I was in Vancouver last week showing Relativity at SIGGRAPH as part of the MIX Showcase. Overall, I had a really positive experience, and got some really useful feedback. Showing at SIGGRAPH was very different from my experience showing at more game-centric conventions/conferences like PAX and GDC, so I've decided to write up a blog post about it.

SIGGRAPH
SIGGRAPH is an annual conference that focuses on computer graphics and interactive technology (the emphasis seems to be more on graphics though). For the last 10 years or so, the conference would take place in LA every other year, and take place in a different city in between. This year, it was in Vancouver.

The interesting thing about SIGGRAPH is that there are a lot of academics presenting their latest research, as well as industry people talking about their production pipelines.

Application
I first learned about the MIX through their showcase at E3. I had originally planned to submit Relativity to that, but didn't do it because of timing issues, and also I wouldn't have been able to make it out to LA then. When I saw that they were doing another showcase at SIGGRAPH, I decided to submit this time. I sent in an application to exhibit via the MIX website at the end of July, and heard back from the organizers a few days later.

I was actually on the fence about whether to go or not. I asked around the Chicago indie community to see if anyone had been to SIGGRAPH before, and not very many had. And the few who did, had gone many years ago, and weren't actually sure if the trip was worth it.

In the end, I figured, from past experiences, I always get a ton of really useful feedback from showing at conventions. And since I'm not going to PAX Prime this year, this could be a really great opportunity to test out the recent changes I've made to the opening level. Plus, after 2 days of searching through every travel website, I managed to find a reasonably-priced roundtrip ticket from Chicago to Vancouver.

The Expo Hall
I arrived in Vancouver on Monday, August 11th. SIGGRAPH had already started the day before, on the 10th, but the exhibition itself was from the 12th to 14th. I had originally planned to go to a bunch of talks on Monday after I got the booth set up, as I thought I had a full conference pass for being part of the showcase, based on wording on the website. Also, for GDC, if you get into the IGF, you get a full conference pass that lets you into the talks.

As it turns out, I only had an exhibitor pass, which didn't allow me into any of the talks, so my original plan didn't work out. I was pretty bummed out about this, as I had been really looking forward to hearing some of the technical talks, and had even invited a friend along... Oh well.

The MIX Showcase was in the main expo hall. The vibe was quite different than other events I've shown at, as most of the other exhibitors were either third-party middleware or 3D modeling programs. I didn't get to walk around too much, but I don't recall seeing another game-only booth, that wasn't just tech demos.

The set up of the MIX Showcase itself was very cool - basically it was an area around 20' x 20', with 12 booths on the perimeter, all facing outside. Monitors and peripherals (keyboard, mouse) were supplied, which was really helpful. I think there were supposed to be PC's as well (these weren't promised), but there was a problem with customs, so those got held up.

In any case, I highly recommend always bringing a laptop and any of the peripherals you need when you go to exhibit, just in case.

Here are some pics of the booth setup:

For me, this was definitely one of the best booth set-ups. There was a lot of room for each developer, and because all the booths were facing outward, everyone got equal amount of visibility. the booth itself was also quite nice. There was a compartment underneath where you could lock up your computer and hide your cables, as well as a keyboard tray. I found the height of the keyboard tray to be a little low, and there wasn't really enough space on it for both a keyboard and a mouse. So I ended up placing the keyboard and mouse on the top surface, and placing the controller in the tray.

This worked out really well. If you recall from my Indie MINIBOOTH post-mortem, one of the complaints players had was that the keyboard was placed too low, while the monitor was placed too high, so for a lot of them, their wrists would get cramped up after playing for a while. Having a controller helped a lot, as did the higher placement of the keyboard and mouse. (You can see in the top picture, it's set up this way. The bottom picture was taken earlier).

I was in the corner, next to Brendon Chung of Blendo Games showing Quadrilateral Cowboy.

Inside of the showcase area, there was a rest area with a few couches and a table where the MIX provided some snacks and lots of bottles of water. This was super awesome, and I wish more exhibitions were set up like this! It gets super tiring standing on your feet for 9 hours a day, and this was like an oasis in the desert.

Day 1
For the first day, I did the exhibition pretty much like the way I did it at PAX East - I'd stand next to the booth and invite people to try out the game.

I soon noticed 2 problems with the current build of the game:

1) Intro loading time is too long - the game is completely seamless, which is done by loading all the scenes at the very beginning. This results in a load time that's about a minute long. This may not be a huge problem for players at home, but for a convention setting, it's way too long. The current build of the game has about 6 hubs, but most players don't make it past the 2nd hub, so why was I taking up all this extra loading time loading scenes people don't even get to see?

2) I had to explain instructions each time - The game would show the instructions in 3 panels after players clicked "new game" but before the loading time. However, because the loading time took so long, I would load up the game while waiting, so that new players could jump right in. This meant that people didn't see the instructions, so I would have to explain the instructions. This was a problem because a) it was extremely exhausting to do this for 9 hours, and b) I was missing the opportunity to see the design problems of the intro. If I was explaining the concepts, then I was not letting the game do it. And in this way, I was failing to see the design flaws in the game for introducing gameplay.

Day 2
This time, I decided to take a slightly different approach. Instead of standing next to the booth, I would stand elsewhere so I can observe players at a distance. I find this to be much more painful, because you'll see players struggle, and walk away from you game in just a few minutes. It's like you don't have the opportunity to defend yourself.

But it's also the best way to playtest, because you're just letting the game speak for itself.

I found a good setup for this was to point the laptop inwards, like this:

This way, players wouldn't feel pressured to play like someone was watching them, while I could keep an eye on what was going on in the game, all from the comfort of one of the couches in the rest area!

Of course, when I saw people struggling with some parts for a while, I would go up to explain the controls. I would also talk to some people after they were done playing, especially if they played for 5+ minutes, to get an idea of what they liked and didn't, and what they found to be difficult or too easy.

Day 3
The third day was a lot slower - it was the last day of SIGGRAPH, and was also a shorter day, with the exhibition closing at 3:30PM instead of 6 PM.

I found I had more time to discuss design details with people who played the game.

In fact, one of the biggest design breakthroughs came from a conversation I had with one of the playtesters.

He had played for quite a while, and when he was done, I approached him and asked what he thought. He said he really enjoyed the pacing and the mechanics, but what bothered him as an environmental artist, was how low the ceiling for the staircases were.

This was actually an issue I had received feedback from others about, but I thought that because I needed the stairs to be the same right side up, as well as upside down, there was no fix for this, that it was just something I had to deal with for the game.

I started to tell him this, but then he told me that all I needed to do was to stagger the staircases, like this:

Before:

After:

As you can see, by pushing the top staircase back a few units, I've greatly opened up the space inside. I couldn't believe this worked. I didn't think there was a solution to the problem of tight stairs, but here it was, and so simple too!

Again, my response at the time can only be summed up as a gif:

Here's how the in game view of the staircases compare:

Before:

After:

The new staircase isn't finished yet, but already you can see that the ceiling is lifted and doesn't feel like it's bumping into your head.

New Friends
As always, the best and most memorable part of showing the game at any event is getting to know the other developers. This was no different, and I had a blast hanging out with everyone.

Here's a list of the studios (other than Yours Truly) that were a part of the showcase, and the games they were showing:

Conclusion
All in all, it was a ton of fun, and a very rewarding experience for me. I realized that the opening level had a ton of design flaws, and was really happy to have finally caught them. I will be making these new changes and testing them in the upcoming weeks.

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #343 on: August 23, 2014, 11:02:51 PM »

DevLog Update #81 - 08/24/2014

Spent the day working with shaders to try to get the hand-drawn pencil sketch look. Still needs a lot of work, but I'm making progress!

mushbuh
Level 9

Epic Laughs await you, traveler *tips steampunkhat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #344 on: August 24, 2014, 08:35:07 AM »

are you actually making a music video?

this is really cool, i can smell the pencil and paper its like a drafting classroom

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #345 on: August 27, 2014, 10:43:42 PM »

are you actually making a music video?

this is really cool, i can smell the pencil and paper its like a drafting classroom

Maybe the trailer will be a 3 minute long video. I'll talk to Kanye about it.

Unfortunately, the pencil sketch look, while it worked for screenshots, didn't really work well in motion. Too much unnecessary movement, it was actually a bit annoying. I'm dropping it for now.

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #346 on: August 28, 2014, 02:04:19 AM »

DevLog Update #82 - 08/28/2014

Playing around with some poster ideas. What do you guys think of these?

I think I like the first one the best. Seems to make the most impact. Readability is a bit of an issue...

I tried a version with thicker outline around the text:

Ya? Maybe?  Hand Thumbs Up Right  Hand Thumbs Down Left

TrinketBen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #347 on: August 28, 2014, 07:52:10 AM »

The last one with the thick outline seems like it improves readability while preserving what I like about the first one (seems to match environment behind it and allows visibility of the scene through the text).

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #348 on: August 28, 2014, 09:39:25 PM »

DevLog Update #83 - 08/29/2014

The last one with the thick outline seems like it improves readability while preserving what I like about the first one (seems to match environment behind it and allows visibility of the scene through the text).

yeah, the bold lines definitely improve readability. However, I think the title then stands out more than the image... I'm hoping more that when viewed, you see the background image first, and then the title comes into focus, kind of like a static version of the

Full Set of Posters

Anyway, as with anything in the game, the posters have to come in a set of six, one for each gravity color. So here they are:

Let me know which one is your favorite!

compostface
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #349 on: August 28, 2014, 09:48:15 PM »

I like the 1st,2nd, and last one  : )

chris wade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: August 28, 2014, 10:49:48 PM »

Could you try with a fill color in the text? Not sure how readable the title will be from far away.

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #351 on: August 29, 2014, 09:52:55 PM »

DevLog Update #84 - 08/30/2014

I like the 1st,2nd, and last one  : )

Thanks!  Coffee

Could you try with a fill color in the text? Not sure how readable the title will be from far away.

Funny you should ask that! See the rest of the post.

Poster Design
Earlier, I showed the poster designs to TrinketEric (who's actually the artist on the beautiful Battle Chef Brigade, which just recently got a devlog here that you should all follow!) and he suggested a simple way to improve readability would be to have a very faint semitransparent fill inside the outline, using the off-white color in the background.

Just tried it now, and it works beautifully! Check it out:

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: August 30, 2014, 07:05:10 PM »

BRANDING!

kanye west@

play hydlide 2
Indie4Fun
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #353 on: August 31, 2014, 12:05:44 AM »

Hi! I love the aesthetics of the game, I like the puzzles and stuff, but what most attracts to me is the outside levels. I think I will buy the game only to walk arround and enjoy the environment.

Kickstarting Izzy's Revenge right now!!

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #354 on: August 31, 2014, 11:20:33 PM »

DevLog Update #85 - 09/01/2014

BRANDING!

kanye west@

That stuff is important! Though, to be honest, I'd much rather be level designin'

Hi! I love the aesthetics of the game, I like the puzzles and stuff, but what most attracts to me is the outside levels. I think I will buy the game only to walk arround and enjoy the environment.

Ah yes, the exterior areas are definitely the highlight of the game. I'm actually starting to shift more of the focus from the puzzles to exploration. When I first started working on the game, it was very much driven by the puzzles. But when I watch playtesters, it seems like exploration and discovering things in the outside world brings them the most joy.

Puzzles certainly still are an important part of the game, and a lot of the pacing is due to which puzzles are introduced and when. However, I'm definitely going to have a very strong exploration aspect for players like yourself!

Start Menu

Decided it was finally time to redo the UI in the game. The start menu, while functional, was really plain.

Here's a design I'm playing around with:

I think I will have the background image fade between a bunch of different ones, to add some movement to the screen during conventions.

sam_suite
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #355 on: September 01, 2014, 10:01:38 AM »

Would be cool (if complicated) to have the background be an infinite looping flythrough of the level.

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #356 on: September 02, 2014, 02:24:38 PM »

Would be cool (if complicated) to have the background be an infinite looping flythrough of the level.

I've thought about doing that. It wouldn't actually be too hard, since the level wouldn't actually be interactive in any way. However, I think discovering that the world loops infinitely is one of the best parts, and I don't want to spoil the surprise!

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: September 03, 2014, 05:15:21 AM »

when's TGS ? also the font in tigsource changed which is weird. are you going to bit bash? why am i asking this in tigsource 

play hydlide 2
William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #358 on: September 03, 2014, 06:06:35 AM »

when's TGS ? also the font in tigsource changed which is weird. are you going to bit bash? why am i asking this in tigsource 

TGS is Sept 18th - 21st. Are you coming?

Has the font changed? I haven't noticed.

Yes, I am going to Bit Bash.

And yes, why are you asking it here?

But then again, why not?  Gomez

The_RonJones
Level 0

Ron Jones The Artist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #359 on: September 03, 2014, 12:08:38 PM »

Hey dude I just wanted to stop by and say I'm loving your game and how it progressed in 2 years. I started following you on facebook and look forward to seeing the game finished!  Hand Metal Right

My nipples are Indie...
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 63
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic