Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412053 Posts in 69447 Topics- by 58483 Members - Latest Member: Exye

June 22, 2024, 07:33:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCave Venturer (Puzzle platformer)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Cave Venturer (Puzzle platformer)  (Read 1447 times)
Joh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: January 13, 2014, 06:26:15 PM »

[Edit] DL link
Cave Venturer

This is a game I have been working on and ive decided to give the final push. As a puzzle game, I think its important to have a bit of feedback before finishing it, and id love to receive level ideas too.
I want to have a little demo up[UP] and a beta (with level editor) up soon.

What is this!
Cave venturer is a puzzle game in which you have to find a way to the exit of each levels.
The main way of doing so is to destroy obstacles in your way, but you have a limited amount of tools to do so, and each tool behave differently.
It is also your goal to explore while altering the cave the least possible so you must also consider the best, least destructive path for best grading.(some levels are also more platform challenge than puzzles)

The game also has a gem hunter mode (score attack). In that mode, you have an unlimited amount of tools uses, and destruction, however doing either will cost money. Gems are scattered through the level and your goal is to exit the level with the most money possible.

first questions
-How is the name?
-How is the title image?
-What do you think about it? (first impression)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 04:00:46 PM by Joh » Logged

Joh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 03:56:44 PM »

Ok, this took a bit longer than expected but here it is.
I had to fix a weird bug that appeared with my new laptop; playing to many sound at the same time just crashed the game. well, I got around this so hopefully it works fine for everyone.

Heres a open beta/demo that shows how the game plays!
Cave Venturer
Those interested can ask for the closed beta that I should finish soon.
little gameplay gif:

DL link

Any feedback and suggestion would be greatly appreciated

Pemanent
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 06:39:01 PM »

cool idea.

It feels a bit tedious though. I don't think the mouse should snap to the corners. Intuitively it should snap to the center of each tile and then you can draw boxes or whatever. Also I don't think the mouse should snap at all, just the selection should snap when you click. Just some thoughts. :p

mpolney
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 12:14:29 AM »

Here is some criticism:

• Your demo doesn't include any stages that I would call "puzzling". There were a few (e.g. 2-2) where there was a bit of a trick to the stage, but even that took less than a minute to figure out.
  • In addition to the mouse snapping problem already mentioned the tools should be selectable with the mouse wheel and the numeric keys.
  • The music at the end of the stages doesn't fit with the main stage music.

Hope that helps.
Matt Rohr
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 05:39:24 AM »

The name needs work. It isn't unique enough.
Also the graphical style needs tweaking.
I think it may be your color palette. (Too much brown currently)

Mechanically I like the idea, does the size of your selection matter or does it use only one "tool" at a time?

Joh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 03:04:00 PM »

Dont know if its common practice to do multi answers, but thanks for the feedback guys.
glad to hear you liked the idea.

cool idea.

It feels a bit tedious though. I don't think the mouse should snap to the corners. Intuitively it should snap to the center of each tile and then you can draw boxes or whatever. Also I don't think the mouse should snap at all, just the selection should snap when you click. Just some thoughts. :p
Ill look into both ideas, i made it snap to corners because sometimes the rocks mesh too well toghether; if I used a level 100% filled up, it would be hard to know where each block starts.
then by one pixel, you would sometime start the selection 1 block over or next to the one you want.

Here is some criticism:

• Your demo doesn't include any stages that I would call "puzzling". There were a few (e.g. 2-2) where there was a bit of a trick to the stage, but even that took less than a minute to figure out.
  • In addition to the mouse snapping problem already mentioned the tools should be selectable with the mouse wheel and the numeric keys.
  • The music at the end of the stages doesn't fit with the main stage music.

Hope that helps.
Are you sure your not too good? the first 10 are the real first 10 levels, so they are kind of easy to make sure no one gets stuck early and to accumulate stars.( I mean, 1-7 I clear it with 3 saws; 1-6, only 1)
As for the 5 other levels, they were chosen to show other types of gameplay. I like that you mentionned 2-2, even I had forgotten, the perfect clear... but its more along the line of what comes next: easy to pass, clever to Ace.
Eventually Acing isnt enough to get 3 stars: other bonuses must be used (or penalties avoided) extra tools/bandit clean up etc

Personnally im not really a level designer so I just had fun making levels but they seemed to challenge some other people.

Ill look into shortcuts for tools as ive had it mentionned before and the win melody.

Thanks a lot!

The name needs work. It isn't unique enough.
Also the graphical style needs tweaking.
I think it may be your color palette. (Too much brown currently)

Mechanically I like the idea, does the size of your selection matter or does it use only one "tool" at a time?
Name is kinda hard to figure out since theres not really a story or a world name, it is what it is: a guy exploring(destroying) a cave.
so maybe Cave destroyer? Pathscavator? I think ill attempt a second time the game name clinic Smiley
The game really is brown, the color shifts from depth to depth, first two arent much different; but it eventually gets kinda red. I also meant to add decorations (skulls, plants) but kinda forgot.

The size doesnt matter, it only uses one tool per use. it allows for more efficient tool usage like the gif I showed up: 1 big swipe instead of 3 small/simple cuts.(both give the same result but eventually it gets more limiting)
----
 I of course look foward to any more feedback
thanks

Joh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 12:02:19 PM »

Hello everyone, i'm back!
This project kind of got stalled by a little problem, and other projects, But I decided to give it another push.
Its a fun game, got positive feedback and all that's left is a couple levels, that Id like to build with user feedback.

-SO I removed the snap, well, you can bring back the snap (toggle) with Spacebar.
-Put a gentler victory jingle
-Allowed wheel and number shortcuts

Newest version, essentially the same, fixed some feedback issues

The Editor Beta is also done, So just reply or pm me if you want what is essentially the full game(as of now) and a level editor!
I am really interested in what levels others will make, can Any challenge me?(I am sure they can) Id also like to see clever ideas, I want to see outside of my box basically.
I might also make it available to everyone for that, but I'd first want people interested to try it out.

Feedback/questions
  • A problem that happened is loosing my (online) leaderboard support.
    So do you feel online leaderboards are really needed for this game?
  • How do you feel about the Gem rush mode? that one wouldnt hold much without scores to beat. Well,since theres no highscores, you can't know, but normally, the "score to beat" is the best online highscore.
  • How is Pathscavator for a name? I quickly suggested it last time, but I kinda like it.
  • Anyone else got feedback on the level design? easy? hard? fun?
  • Anything else?  Wink

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic