Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 10:19:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingAltitude - cartoon multiplayer action (testers wanted)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Altitude - cartoon multiplayer action (testers wanted)  (Read 12570 times)
J.G. Martins
Level 2

AKA anvilfolk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2009, 05:29:26 PM »

I have the same problem in Windows, actually. It didn't happen in Linux because a lot fewer resolutions are supported, so scrolling isn't even necessary.

And thanks for clearing the release details out. I think it's a great option Smiley

I'll also go ahead and say that at least today, at least three servers had people playing, and one was full to bursting. Well over half the players were under level 20 or 30, so the playerbase is increasing a lot Smiley

This is great news Smiley If you haven't tried it out, again, I'd recommend it Smiley

Gold is for the mistress -- silver for the maid --
Copper for the craftsman cunning at his trade.
"Good!" cried the Baron, sitting in his hall,
"But iron, cold iron, is the master of them all."
--- Rudyard Kipling
Nitro Crate
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2009, 06:42:37 PM »

Holy crap I can't stop playing this.

I think the first plane you get so far is the most versatile.
The biplane is pretty good as well. Haven't unlocked the last one yet, but its instant direction switching seems pretty awesome.
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2009, 07:22:07 PM »

Thanks for clarifying the select menu a little.

I noticed today that there were a few instances of planes becoming invisible. The players were able to figure out that no one could see a particular player, but that player could see themselves. I'm sorry I can't really give any more information than that. Have you already heard someone mention this?

TheSpaceMan
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2009, 01:27:38 AM »

What I saw from the screenshot this looks amazing (artisticly), I need to keep it in my memory untill I get home so I can give it a try. Smiley

Follow The Flying Thing, my current project.
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=24421.0
Nitro Crate
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2009, 12:21:35 PM »

Just unlocked the last vehicle a while ago, and I have to say, it's pretty damn awesome.

Although, the direction flip thing should cost a little less energy perhaps. And without the energy boost upgrade, the ship is kind of useless. Also the booster upgrade isn't that helpful for the ship either. (since most of the time, you just teleport instead of boost)

I have an idea about the ship direction switching.
You could have it take a really really tiny amount of energy, and have a small 2 second cool down. If you activate it again within the two seconds it takes double the amount of energy, and the timer is reset again. This way you can switch directions very quickly and often, but if you just keep it spamming it, you'll be left without any energy.
lamster
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2009, 11:19:08 PM »

Thanks for the feedback and bug reports.
Anvilfolk mentioned that some add-on items may affect the plane's performance.  I didn't see where that's documented in game.
The only way to see a perk's effects is in the perk's description box on the configuration menu -- and the descriptions there are not always explicit.  For example: 'Heavy Armor: Reduces damage from weapons at the cost of speed.'  I will try to clarify these more as I add more perks.
I apologize if I missed it, but you might mention the energy bar in the (well-done) tutorial.  Only after a few hours of gameplay did I realize that the afterburner and my firing rate were tied together.
Noted--will mention this in the next revision of the tutorial. Thanks.
Thanks very much for the Linux build!  I can't seem to set my screen resolution any higher than the default 1024x768, though.  The resolution dropdown works, but the list doesn't scroll.  It seems like I can use the arrow keys to highlight hidden resolutions above 1280x800, but pressing Enter doesn't make them save.  So I'm stuck at 1024.  Sad
Weird bug -- should be fixed soon.
I have an idea about the ship direction switching.
You could have it take a really really tiny amount of energy, and have a small 2 second cool down. If you activate it again within the two seconds it takes double the amount of energy, and the timer is reset again. This way you can switch directions very quickly and often, but if you just keep it spamming it, you'll be left without any energy.
Interesting idea -- I'll experiment with something along these lines.
eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2009, 11:01:08 AM »

I'm working on a cartoony 2D dogfighting game and I would love some testers and feedback.  Free beta builds are available for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Download Site: http://www.altitudegame.com/
Screenshot:

Screenshot reminds me of gunbound..

Nitro Crate
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2009, 04:53:54 PM »

Screenshot reminds me of gunbound..

Hahaha that's the first thing I thought as well.

I actually thought I wouldn't like the game, but man it's pretty great.

@lamster - (You should put up a screenshot of middleground. That stage is beautiful.)

Edit: eh what the heck ill put one up soon.

Stare at its beauty

« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 05:06:51 PM by Nitro Crate » Logged
Grif
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2009, 07:13:09 PM »

Wow. First off, I gotta say, this is definitely one of the most fun indie games I've ever played.

Netplay is smooth, the game runs beautifully, there's a good selection of maps, weapons and vehicles, and it's damn fun. Nice, responsive action and plenty of explosions to be had.

I have no quibbles with the controls overall, though two minor (related) irritants:
1. If you land on something and lose momentum, you're forced to sit there until dead. This can take several seconds. Personally, a loss of momentum should either be 100% recoverable or 100% fatal, and either option should be rapid. Sometimes I land in such a way that superburners will help me, but not always, and it's a break in the lightning pace of the game.
2. Landing on bases is challenging, and the only bonus is health, which does not seem altogether worth the effort. A temporary (very temporary) weaponry bonus could be useful, as a last ditch way to stop an attacking force.

Other, minor details:
If you go into a challenge menu you have not unlocked, a rather ugly utterly empty box frame just sits there. I'd say either gray out the locked challenge headings, or remove the box display/fill it with a LOCKED image.
The game font seems slightly off in a lot of the textboxes. It's a minor quibble, but it nags me when I look at the menu.

AWESOME job using actual AF rank structure, though. I love ya for that.
J.G. Martins
Level 2

AKA anvilfolk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2009, 05:37:28 AM »

Hey Grif Smiley

That stalling and staying on the ground until you die is a bit relative Smiley For example, some planes have better boosters, and the Biplane can use the machine gun rather effectively for gaining altitude and momentum and escape from those situations. I'm also pretty sure the Explodet might have something similar going on by shooting at the ground and getting blown away and being able to survive Smiley

Regarding the base: as you get more kills without dying, your plane becomes faster and more responsive. If you kill and repeatedly go back to gain health, avoiding death, you'll be a much meaner fighting machine than if you keep on dying. Besides, it's not that challenging, you just drop the speed to 0 when you're above it, and it does the rest Grin

Still, the idea of a small weapons boost - or, dare I say - energy boost (as in, more energy, not stronger energy, if that's even possible) is pretty interesting.

--- Rudyard Kipling
Nitro Crate
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2009, 12:02:13 PM »

Oooh that just gave me a pretty cool idea for a new type of mode.

How about a mode where you have to capture air bases which in turn give you various boosts.
Grif
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2009, 05:04:20 PM »

A sort of territories/control points mode?

Could be interesting. Might need some larger maps, dunno if the game could handle them as smoothly as it currently does. Probably, though.
Navineous
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2009, 05:54:54 PM »

EPIC GAME! I'm definitly joining.
Navineous
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2009, 06:23:16 PM »

My firewall blocked it....I guess I have to turn it off. Is it safe?
J.G. Martins
Level 2

AKA anvilfolk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2009, 07:29:23 PM »

Not really, there are plenty of other planes out to get you Evil

--- Rudyard Kipling
KniteBlargh
Level 4

Blargh...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2009, 08:14:55 PM »

Well, I've been trying this out for a little while now, got to level 21. I really have to commend you guys, 'cause this project is very polished, and it's loads of fun. Smiley

However, I think I should note that some of the players coming in from outside TIGSource are rude, nasty, and downright a pain in the butt to be around; they're kind of ruining the experience/fun of the game.

So anyway, keep up the good work. Even though I can't put up with some of those bad attitudes for health reasons, I can see that Altitude is going to go far!

Grif
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2009, 09:56:30 PM »

Knite, if I remember correctly, there's an option to disable the chat. No reason to not play such a well made game.

Also, I'm up to level 19 now, and I am really enjoying it. The planes are overall very well balanced, although I am still a tad irritated by those who spam homing mines. 'Tis a minor detail, however.
Lord Tim
Level 1

Overclocked to 20 MHz

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2009, 09:57:30 PM »

I happen to think the homing mines are the best thing to ever exist, and I spam them everywhere.

It is effective.
Navineous
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2009, 05:28:32 AM »

I got an idea. The Beta Testers from TIG source should get free membership ( When the full game is released. )
And I've found some players extremely rude too.-
AKA
Bluemonk
Boberian
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 06:08:51 AM by Navineous » Logged
J.G. Martins
Level 2

AKA anvilfolk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2009, 08:50:12 AM »

Don't let that ruin it for you!

In the chat thingie, type:

/vote kick <playername>

You can also start votes for map changes the same way. There's even a drop-down text menu thingie that helps you pick what you want Smiley

--- Rudyard Kipling
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic