Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411517 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 10:22:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Horror-themed game sprites and tiles, low res, few colors
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Horror-themed game sprites and tiles, low res, few colors  (Read 20741 times)
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2008, 10:01:18 PM »

This just keeps looking more and more impressive! I look forward to seeing this beast in action.  Gentleman

Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2008, 10:21:54 PM »

Wow, Truly inspiring work.  All of this looks incredible.  I love the idea of the blue bulge running along his throat as he powers up.  Grin Hand Thumbs Up Right

michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2008, 10:36:55 PM »

this fucking astounding  Angry

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2008, 10:55:42 PM »

This is looking excellent so far!

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2008, 11:34:21 PM »

wow, that's incredible. I love the little dangly legs.  Hand Shake Left Hand Shake Left Hand Shake Right Hand Shake Right Hand Shake Left Hand Shake Left

FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2008, 12:15:40 AM »

Thanks for the comments!

Jason Pickering, thats a good idea! I did what you suggested and it does look better. Someone had suggested to me earlier to make the eyes open independently and it didn't really work well, made the mouth opening have less of a sudden punch to it, but making them close separately looks pretty good.

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2008, 02:55:21 AM »

SOD OFF! I don't believe you. I think you... um... magic.

Possibly one of the greater attempts at pixelling I've seen. It's so... organic? Fantastic? Scary? And it's going to be in a game.

SUPERLATIVES!

Though, I'm wondering, how exactly did you go about "Cutting Corners"? Nothing looks particularly cut. I mean, in the larger animation I can see segmentation, but hey. Doesn't exactly detract.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2008, 05:15:49 AM »

Like everyone's been saying, the boss dude looks really awesome. Though, if you want to make it even better, perhaps you could work on the big bulge of the energy blast in the first 1-2 frames of the animation. It shifts too suddenly from filling his whole body to being just in his gullet. Looks a little jarring in comparison to the smoothness of the rest of the animation.

El Moppo
Level 0

Gronk! Gronk!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2008, 08:22:58 AM »

I don't know how to describe that sprite without making up new words.  Epileptic
Fanscrumptulous!?
 Crazy
Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2008, 09:42:48 AM »

I'm still peeing my pants from how awesome this is!  The more i look at it the more I am amazed by it!  I didnt even notice the little dangly feet, those are awesome.  I don't know how you got the animation to look so life-like and smooth.

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2008, 10:31:54 AM »

Yeah, it's totally smooth, looks awesome! The idle head looks kind of weird, though, as some rectangular segments jerk around a bit, but I think all you need to do for that is some smoothing out.

michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2008, 11:24:43 AM »

i actually really like how it segmented and kinda choppy. by sliding the segments around instead of internally editing the pixels, hes retained the crispness

dmoonfire
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2008, 12:20:22 PM »

Concerning Firefox being "helpful" with images:

There are a couple settings in "about:config" that control the image. I usually set the following:

browser.enable_automatic_image_resizing false
images.dither false

They might help a bit with scaling and display.
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2008, 12:20:45 PM »

Not being a pixel artist, I have no idea how you could make so much high-quality animated content in the space of only a few days.

It looks like you have just recently joined, and I'm sure that everyone else agrees that you are a welcome addition, good sir.  Gentleman

FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2008, 04:35:31 PM »

thanks fo comments

Gainsworthy, the corners cut are especially in how I animate most of the movements, instead of redrawing the frames or even parts of frames, for large masses I just select areas of the monster and do stretches and then slightly edit. It does the job, but leaves behind sloppy things like the segments that agj mentionned, that are very obvious in the idle animation. Its a little sloppy but I dont really have time to do everything smooth. I could always go back to them and smooth them out later anyways.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2008, 07:16:21 PM »

looks great, the eyes definetly help. lets see some more of this guy. fair warning though, if this is the first boss, the next bosses will have to be progressively cooler, we dont want a god of war thing where the first level boss is a 3 headed hydra, and the next level ends with a box pushing puzzle (OOOO so scary)

Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2009, 08:26:51 AM »

Now look what you did--you went and scared away Frankie. Tut tut.

He was just kidding, Frankie! You can come back and continue working on your awesome-looking horror game now!

michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2009, 09:25:27 AM »

pweety pwease  Concerned

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2009, 11:15:17 PM »

We would be happy to have you back, Frankie. This game looks like it's going to be great.
CK
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2011, 11:50:18 AM »

RECESSION
I'd never seen this topic before; rekindled my recession-love (not that it needed rekindling)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic