Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411991 Posts in 69441 Topics- by 58486 Members - Latest Member: Fuimus

June 17, 2024, 01:10:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Seeking programmers with time on their hands
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Seeking programmers with time on their hands  (Read 3331 times)
FadyFTJ
« on: January 07, 2009, 08:52:59 AM »

I've practically been looking everywhere for a programmer who knows how to program a 3D 1st/3rd person view game.
Since this will be an indie game there won't really be any pay. Unless we get Nintendo's or Retro Studio's attention and the game makes profit (it's a big project. We just lack a few staff members).

We have the concepts, ideas, most of the character designs, and a 3D designer who says he might be interested to help.

The game will be a 1st/3rd person shooter spin-off game of the Metroid series.
The 3rd-person part of the game will be Jet Force Gemini like, and the 1st-person part will be Metroid Prime like, or any other 1st person shooter.
The game will let you switch between the two camera perspectives by just pressing a button.

The game will be about these guys http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/metroid/images/3/34/GFtrooper_trio.png

There is no deadline, so we can take it slow, as long as the progress is steady.
It would would be a great help if anyone would lend us a hand.

We would really appreciate your contribution.

More info: http://news.deviantart.com/article/66792/
Forums: http://z13.invisionfree.com/The_Vidya_Studio/index.php? (The forums are only a few days old, we haven't had the time to spice it up)
Zaphos
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 11:02:55 AM »

Our goal is to create a playable demo consisting of at least one level. We will then see if we can come in contact with Nintendo and show them our progress, and if they think it's good, well... Who knows?
This seems naive ...
The-Imp
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 11:08:25 AM »

My GOD.

Only Nintendo makes Metroid. ONLY NINTENDO. Well, and sell it of course.
Good luck.
 Giggle
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 11:09:44 AM »

Have you made Tetris yet? If not, start from there.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 01:27:23 PM »

This is 50% on a Jforce.

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 01:33:10 PM »

This is 50% on a Jforce.

What?

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
increpare
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 01:48:11 PM »

I'd suggest learning a little about how to program; people tend not to get programmer help unless they're either very talented artists who've already put together some promising artwork for the game, or else already know the people they're collaborating with.

You might consider checking out the various FPS modding communities (quakeworld and the like).  But, you'd still face the same problem regarding not being able to find anyone to program for you. 

In terms of what this forum can offer you, if you do decide to take up programming, and have some problems, we can offer helping hands.  Also, this thread on design documents might help you with your planning.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 01:49:16 PM »

I said something, and edited it without looking and it got wrong somewhere.

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 02:05:35 PM »

Spinnoffs, demakes and fangames saddens me beyond what I am able to explain Sad

So much effort, so much technical skill, so many hours... and no creativity.

Why?
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 02:52:02 PM »

You're adding evidence to the argument that designers are dead weight.

That was a little harsh, I'm not trying to be an asshole, I'm just tired of "hey I have this cool game idea now I need people to make the game for me" posts. This is the thing that made me start programming; you can't have a game without a program of some sort, so it felt like the most direct way of implementing the game design ideas I had in my head.

Also, as you might notice, spinoff games are looked down upon in these here parts Cool. I would strongly suggest you look into making this as a mod using an FPS engine (Source, Unreal 3, Quake 3, etc.). They are fully capable of going from first- to third-person, and by what you're saying it sounds like they would provide everything you want. There is a ton of code that you or the programmer would have to create which is already readily available in an FPS engine, you would honestly be saving yourself several years of development time.

FadyFTJ
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 11:17:51 PM »

Thanks. This was helpful.
I can see how all the people I've asked so far sees no hope in this project. It does look vague, but we're still motivated to pull this through.

Guess we really have to learn some coding ourselves first...
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 01:54:24 AM »

Quote from: nihilocrat

That was a little harsh, I'm not trying to be an asshole, I'm just tired of "hey I have this cool game idea now I need people to make the game for me" posts.

Don't confuse "hey I have this cool idea" guys with game designers. Coming with cool ideas is easy - everyone has some. It's the ability to make the game stylish, consistent, balanced, playable and well thought that defines the designer. And not well thought as in: "we're gonna have this cool weapons that shoots fire lizards" Wink.

Any competent programmer should be able to program a game like World of Goo, but not necessarily design a game like World of Goo - with all its little touches, style, balanced progression and message.
But I agree with one thing. With awesome tools like GameMaker, Blitz, MMF and other editors (even ones for normal games) being available, there's no excuse for a good designer to not be able to make at least the simpliest of his/her ideas happen.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 02:03:59 AM by TeeGee » Logged

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
mirosurabu
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 03:41:13 AM »

Can't FPS creator do the thing? Or maybe you should try some FPS engine, as others have mentioned?

Most programmers are not interested in other people's ideas. At least not when they are just ideas and concepts and not full design document - with details and such.

I find it very easy to come up with "great" ideas, but much harder to make an idea into design document and still have that "it's great idea" attitude.
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 09:19:26 AM »

Even with a 'design document' it will be very difficult to find an experienced programmer if you have no game making experience of your own.

bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 09:39:46 AM »

The basic problem with "seeking programmer" is that in the world of game development programmers are the primary scarce resource. Particularly good ones.

It's a bit like posting "seeking spare money". Oddly, nobody seems enthusiastic! Droop

Now if you were to post "Have three programmers, two artists, a musician and a marketing expert, seeking a lead designer" I suspect you'd get buried under applicants (and people claiming you were lying)!

Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2009, 09:50:13 AM »

Quote from: nihilocrat

That was a little harsh, I'm not trying to be an asshole, I'm just tired of "hey I have this cool game idea now I need people to make the game for me" posts.

Don't confuse "hey I have this cool idea" guys with game designers. Coming with cool ideas is easy - everyone has some. It's the ability to make the game stylish, consistent, balanced, playable and well thought that defines the designer. And not well thought as in: "we're gonna have this cool weapons that shoots fire lizards" Wink.

Any competent programmer should be able to program a game like World of Goo, but not necessarily design a game like World of Goo - with all its little touches, style, balanced progression and message.

But I agree with one thing. With awesome tools like GameMaker, Blitz, MMF and other editors (even ones for normal games) being available, there's no excuse for a good designer to not be able to make at least the simpliest of his/her ideas happen.
I mentioned a little bit about my stance on what I call "idea men" a few weeks ago on a post about procedural generation. Short version, I'm with you on this.

And I also agree with GM, MMF, etc are excellent tools to let the idea man with even the slightest inkling of ambition to actually DO something without needing to be a programmer really. In fact I'd say that's what we're seeing happening and the results are awesome. People like Cactus andVirtanen Games producing games to critical acclaim. They're not great as far as games go, but they're innovative and fun.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 10:59:10 AM »

I mentioned a little bit about my stance on what I call "idea men" a few weeks ago on a post about procedural generation. Short version, I'm with you on this.

Wow, nice post! I pretty much already knew all the pitfalls you were talking about, but it's good to see someone state all of these in one place, for the benefit of those who don't know better.

Reminds me of Dave Dobson mentioning to me once that "sometimes it takes just as long to create content generation code as it does to just create the content yourself".

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2009, 10:26:30 AM »

these aren't even funny anymore Giggle

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic