Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 08:04:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFrog Tale - a metroidvania game for touch devices
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Frog Tale - a metroidvania game for touch devices  (Read 24053 times)
blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2014, 09:44:05 AM »

Oh man I love this idea.

I saw this on twitter not too long ago and was hoping I'd see more. Kudos man! Great idea, execution looks solid thus far.

Keep up the good work.

Lazycow
Level 2

Do androids dream of electric sheep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2014, 10:22:17 AM »

"Jabba the toad"  Grin

<Nanovoid><Treasureline><Pharaohs Return>
Zulli: "Is this game really being programmed or are you just torturing us?"
MattyO
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2014, 04:07:53 PM »

Really loving your design and approach! I've actually been prototyping a 2D metroid-vania-ish platformer with a focus on simplicity in terms of a control scheme. The main control mechanic I've been wrestling with is an energy grapple hook that modifies itself via upgrades/pickups, and whether it's something I can implement via minimal touch controls - making mobile an option. I realized I either forgot my forum account info, or after years and years of reading tigs never made one - saw your idea on my news feed via pocketgamer and it hit my sweet spot so hard I had to comment!  Grin

Anyways, may I ask what tool(s) you're developing the game on? I'm also really curious about who uses what (in the single developer world) in terms of art creation, specifically in the sprite/pixel art world. It seems everyone has their own favorite, at times I wonder if something more focused than PS would increase efficiency.

Thanks and I'm looking forward to seeing more/playing/buying it!
bitslap
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2014, 01:25:10 AM »

Really loving your design and approach! I've actually been prototyping a 2D metroid-vania-ish platformer with a focus on simplicity in terms of a control scheme. The main control mechanic I've been wrestling with is an energy grapple hook that modifies itself via upgrades/pickups, and whether it's something I can implement via minimal touch controls - making mobile an option. I realized I either forgot my forum account info, or after years and years of reading tigs never made one - saw your idea on my news feed via pocketgamer and it hit my sweet spot so hard I had to comment!  Grin

Anyways, may I ask what tool(s) you're developing the game on? I'm also really curious about who uses what (in the single developer world) in terms of art creation, specifically in the sprite/pixel art world. It seems everyone has their own favorite, at times I wonder if something more focused than PS would increase efficiency.

Thanks and I'm looking forward to seeing more/playing/buying it!

Thanks for the interest =)
You can probably do some great 1-2 tap action with a grapple hook, I imagine some kind of spiderman grappling through the city.

The tool i use for art is Pro Motion 6.5 by Cosmigo. It is cheap and it covers all my needs for pixel art for games, especially animating. I havent touched photoshop or the likes in years mostly because i only have time for pixels. I am programming the game in Game Maker Studio.

/bitslap

new_name
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2014, 01:50:58 AM »

This games seems pretty cool. Seems like its pretty comfortable to play and it looks really simple as intended. Can't wait to see how the physics feels and what kind soundtrack will you use.

A couple of questions if you don't mind spoiling. Will it be leveled based or is it gonna be a continuos story? Does the game has a score as it seems you'll collecting gems or items? Is the frog gonna evolve in any way with any upgrades or gadgets?

You don't have to answer if you don't want to :p

Anyways looks like a pretty awesome and simple game. Can't wait to play it.  Hand Thumbs Up Left
bitslap
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2014, 02:40:51 AM »

This games seems pretty cool. Seems like its pretty comfortable to play and it looks really simple as intended. Can't wait to see how the physics feels and what kind soundtrack will you use.

A couple of questions if you don't mind spoiling. Will it be leveled based or is it gonna be a continuos story? Does the game has a score as it seems you'll collecting gems or items? Is the frog gonna evolve in any way with any upgrades or gadgets?

Anyways looks like a pretty awesome and simple game. Can't wait to play it.  Hand Thumbs Up Left

It is quiet comfortable and intuitive. I have tested it on random people, nongamers and gamers and most of them pick it up pretty quick.

The diamonds you see are mere placeholders i added as a motivation for testers to explore the controls =)
There are no separate levels, the game will progress through several maps with backtracking after you get more jumpskills and other secret stuff.

Thanks =)
Vitali Kirpu
Level 1

reach your potential

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2014, 11:43:00 AM »

There is never enough frogs Smiley Will follow the results Tongue

Working on the game and trying to help others on the way!

If you ever need tips let me know! I will gladly help
new_name
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2014, 12:11:45 PM »

It is quiet comfortable and intuitive. I have tested it on random people, nongamers and gamers and most of them pick it up pretty quick.

The diamonds you see are mere placeholders i added as a motivation for testers to explore the controls =)
There are no separate levels, the game will progress through several maps with backtracking after you get more jumpskills and other secret stuff.

Thanks =)

Love it (:
The Translocator
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2014, 12:35:06 PM »

I heard a rumor this was frog fractions 2.

Actually I made that rumor up.
Confirm or deny?  Tongue

Looks great. I'll be disappointed if it isn't a normal game.  Wink

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2014, 12:47:40 PM »

im glad theres a thread for this <3

Zerker Commander
Level 0

Who am I! What did I want!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2014, 02:12:49 PM »

I require this game to be in my general vicinity.

Seriously though, what an awesome concept. The simplicity of the idea, such huge potential too. Really looking forward to what you do with this!  Beer!

arrebeat
Level 0

Game Designer/Composer/Sound Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2014, 09:57:17 PM »

I'll make a comment as simple and efficient and perfect as your game mechanics:

YES Noir

I make the stuff you hear when playing games! Shazam!

YouTube
SoundCloud
Tumblr
Oleg Klishin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2014, 01:47:03 AM »

I very much like the idea of stripping controls to the bone to make it easier for touch devices, but keeping the exploration formula. Can't wait to see what you've got!

Art portfolio and social media links: olegklishin.com
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2014, 03:35:49 PM »

yes this is just what i want

godDLL
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2014, 10:54:53 PM »

YES Noir

Krisjet
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2014, 11:29:22 PM »

Looks like a great fit for touch screen devices, really like the restrictive color palette as well. Will be picking this up if it hits iOS for sure!

bitslap
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2015, 12:05:48 AM »

Dev has been slow during the last 2 months.
Small update on the evil cobra antagonist i'd like to call Hiss.

Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2015, 04:27:07 AM »

Uh oh, where have I seen this before??  Grin

Nice to seem those screens of your project finally. Looking purty cool! Will keep my eyes open for this one... even if you didn't pick "Go Frog Yourself" as the title which would have made you immensely rich!  Hand Money Left Hand Money Left Hand Money Right Hand Money Right

BeaKManiak
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2015, 07:35:15 AM »

Looks great! I will follow your project, it's very interesting!

Migni: The Last Flame - DevLog | IndieDB | Minduck Studios
wzl
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2015, 12:07:46 PM »

*hop*

Long pork is people! wzl's burrow
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic