Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411896 Posts in 69427 Topics- by 58475 Members - Latest Member: szálamireaktor

June 07, 2024, 10:35:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallThe Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 602
Print
Author Topic: The Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread  (Read 1998434 times)
CYS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3340 on: March 02, 2010, 01:45:00 AM »

Hello, Im CYS and ive been making games for little over 8 years now i believe (i pretty much lost count), primarily using Multimedia Fusion. I live in Singapore (not part of China). Ive only just started doing programming recently in XNA with the hope that i can have more control.

As a start, i believe it would be good to show some screenshots of my past games for you guys to know more about me (im not very proud of them at this point in time but its all i can showcase) :

Looking to have a good time here Cheesy.

tyronehenrie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3341 on: March 02, 2010, 10:57:37 AM »

I guess since this thread is obligatory it's high time I officially introduce myself.

I have been a wannabe indie for about a year now. Previously I was working as a web programmer by day and studying to be a 3d animator by night.

After creating a 35 minute DVD series in my spare time that had most of its profits eaten up by an insane advertising budget and punishing distribution share I found that the old way (DVD and retail) wasn't a good idea. I realized that if I'm going to get my ideas out there, it wasn't going to be using the old (and so broken) way.

At my previous job I would listen to video game podcasts all day while I worked. I finally realized that I was obsessed. I always wanted to make games and after discovering Unity I realized that my obsession should be my occupation.

So I quit my job in October 2009 and now I'm jobless, doing freelance web stuff to make ends meet for my Wife and 9 month old daughter, and making games.

I participated in GammaIV this year:

I have about 5 different game ideas that I'm prototyping. One that I'm focusing on right now is called Catapult for Hire. It was a prototype I made for the Muse games challenge. You can see an old prototype here:

http://pixelmega.com/catapult.html

Currently I am trying to streamline the UI and make it more intuitive, as well as starting to do some art:

My life feels so indie right now. I quit my job, moved in with my in-laws across the country, I'm dirt poor, the financial outlook is bleak, but I'm making games and I freaking love it.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 11:28:42 AM by tyronehenrie » Logged

Grindalf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3342 on: March 02, 2010, 11:02:04 AM »

Hi everybody.
I come from england originally  but haven't lived there for along time Ive spent most of my life living in the sunny canary islands.
Ive been playing games since the snes days and even though I did buy a nes I never really got into it.
the games that shaped the way I look at games are.....

Final fantasy 4-snes
dungeon master-snes
final fantasy adventure-GB
final fantasy legend 2-GB
secret of mana-snes
final fantasy 7-psx
battle arena toshinden-psx

and probably many more but I cant go forever so I will leave it at that.

I have been making games for almost 10 years now and I think Ive eventually got to a point where I can make games people might actually enjoy a little Wink

Emo Owl
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #3343 on: March 02, 2010, 02:41:52 PM »

Hi, everyone!

I'm 24 years old and I'm from Europe. I love videogames and animation since I'm a sentient being, and I was introduced to this forum by a friend of mine who was really into indie gaming too. Eventually, I got myself into indie gaming too.

I work as a game journalist and I'm attending an animation and illustration course at the same time. This lead me to a wonderful world of sleep deprivation!

Even with a job,the more time passed the more I realised I would love to do something actively related with games, from the art point of view in particular. I started following obsessively game illustrators and their scene, discovered the wonderful Derek Yu art and loved the great pieces I've seen from some users on this forum. This really inspired me and made me realize I would like to follow this kind of career, starting from a school.

Funny enough, I found my story to be similar to tyronehenrie's one! But I don't know what I will do with my job, though.

Now, sorry, but I have to go! It's almost midnight here and I have a lot of things to do. Sleep is not included, of course.
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3344 on: March 02, 2010, 06:16:28 PM »

welcome new TIGers!

tyronehenrie, those models are sick  Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right
hous
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3345 on: March 03, 2010, 06:06:03 PM »

Hello TIGSource. I'm a 28yr old web developer and long-time TIGlurker. I've been playing videogames my whole life but just recently starting learning to develop them. A couple favorite games: Angband, Quest for Glory & King's Quest series, Zelda, Shadowrun, Super Mario Kart, and recently Braid, SF4.

I'm starting out with C++ & SDL with Netbeans as an IDE. Looking forward to joining the next compo!
debugdesign
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3346 on: March 04, 2010, 06:17:57 AM »

Hi I'm Ian from Debug Design.

I started early with an atari 2600 but soon upgraded to a spectrum where I had many a good time with Dizzy, Operation wolf, buggy boy and Auf Wiedersehen Monty

When I wasn't on a spectrum I was on my friends Amiga which was wicked! 'Rick Dangerous, Lemmings, and Dizzy again'

From there I snowballed from a SNES (mario kart, zelda...awesome) to a 3DO (short lived, sewer shark was rubbish but I did like this moon buggy type game, can't remember the game) until at College I managed to get a sega dreamcast (ready to rumble boxing, Shemue, Ramna 1/2 etc)

Once my house was robbed and I lost it all I had a short break before going for the Xbox 360.

But I always wanted to MAKE games but my head made me do 'sensible' subjects so I grew further and further away from my dreams...

Now tho, I run a web design company so I am using some time to start creating games for the iphone... This way I don't have to start at the dizzy heights of Gears of War but I can go back to my retro roots to create games 'from the start'.

Looking forward to lots of chats and I will keep you updated on all my latest games...

My first being 'The Danger Room' - link in my sig...

Ian

Zenorf
Level 1

Because it had to be done

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3347 on: March 04, 2010, 06:23:51 AM »

Hi anyone and everyone.

I'm a 29 year old indie. Used to work for a company full time as an artist and designer but it sucked. Now I do part time contracts to pay the bills (have a wife and two little kids to feed) and do indie work as much as I can. I have a website for anyone who cares to see some of my art n stuff.

I have visited the site from time to time to look at interesting projects but not regularly enough to be called a lurker. I was finally convinced to join up after talking to my real life friend who you know as Ishi(the Johnny platform guy). Also Friends with GoGo-Robot as well and maybe even another couple of people I didn't even know were on here. Small world as they say.

Just finished work on my third indie game which I'll pimp.. I mean show some of you guys later. It's not for sale anyway

Hmm. Some games that inspired me, There are too many to count but here's a handful.</B>
Secret of mana
Cybernator
moonstone
Outwars
Mech Commander (not the second one)
Weapon of choice
Mirrors Edge

Failure is not an option, but it's always a possibility.

www.radiationburn.net
Elzsieve
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3348 on: March 04, 2010, 11:33:17 PM »

Hi! I'm Andy and my internet name is elzsieve. No one will know because this name is kinda new. I ditch my internet personification long ago to focus on real world business  Grin. I'm a 22 years old programmer, businessman, speed cuber, igo player, mnemonist, games programmer from Indonesia. Look at how geek I am  Durr...?..

I played video games since I'm just a little kid. My first console is Sega Master System and then Sega Mega Drive. At first I want to be an Electrical Engineer, since I'm a fan of Alfa Edison, etc. So I kinda focus on that when I'm a child.

I was born from a middle class family and by middle class I mean we do not have access to a lot of luxury Cry. And by luxury I mean Playstation Shocked. After trying to save money I finally able to buy my own Playstation when I'm on middle school(Back then my salary is 3$ a month).

Well that is when the games developer curse come to me. I'm starting to think about..

How do I make those?
I can do it better..
Well,. I suppose it's gonna be better if..
etc..

And then I'm starting to learn programming. WITHOUT COMPUTER!! I learn those in bookstores.. and most of computer books in my country is crappy. A lot of them is just big books with big fonts and big picture. And almost all of them teach visual programming using VB and Delphi.

Finally my father gave me a computer after three excruciating year of learning HTML on the internet cafes, and learning visual programming on the bookstore (my 1st year at high school). I'm so excited I can't wait for tomorrow to start coding. I search the internet (very expensive. 1$ per hour and the next month my father push me to pay the bills.. 15$ when my salary is still 6$). And what I found is.. PHYTON!! Hahahaha, and I thought..

"What the hell is this crappy programming language that does not even able to create one button"

And I leave phyton in the instant the next day. I bought a pirated edition Noir of visual studio instead (don't tell anyone. I'm using express right now so it's all legit  Cheesy).

I still feel funny when I'm thinking about that time. It's about a few months later that I finally know what programming really was. I started to compete at the International Olympiad of Informatics and though I failed to go to the national (well, actually I do not know whether I make it or not. I switch schools because of personal reason  Lips Sealed) it gives me good background in algorithm and programming with pascal  Well, hello there!!

During that time also that I begun to learn C++ and a little bit of dx7. None of the games I made during that day is finished. But I think it is a good progress. I also creates game using game maker and 3d game studio. Kinda active at gamemaker forum that time but I already forgot my ID. How's Carl Gustaffson btw? I learn that Mark now colaborating with yoyo games. Did people still recognize me? What the hell that I turn gloomy?? Let's just drink beer and let me continue  Beer!. The version of game maker back then is 3 I think.

After I'm going to university my father died and I started to work as a freelancer. My father did not leave any money behind however thanks God that he leave a house  Beg. We sell the house and live with someone else during that time. My sister support the whole family and though she work, our money keep reduced over time  Cry.

So I kinda forgot of my hobbies in gaming back then. I work as a freelancer and also focus myself on algorithm. I follow ACM ICPC twice for the national selection but only ends up rank 20. After graduating my family still in trouble so I directly go to work at an IBM business partner. Handling SOA technology.

After 2 years working there I quit and start my own company right now. And after all those years I kinda remember about games programming. How good it was  Beg. And here I am! Joining your community to start over again something I left years ago and owh boy, How it's changed  Who, Me?!!

Btw, I decided to learn Unity. So please Unity expert, teach me!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 11:38:39 PM by elzsieve » Logged
SaturnineGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3349 on: March 04, 2010, 11:46:38 PM »

My name is Ed and I've been working in the Indie scene since the late GBA / early DS days. I've been straddling the line between indie and not, doing freelance work at Powerhead Games on and off for the past few years, taking the time when I can to work on my own projects with a small team.

My first indie attempt lead to a completed DS title, Cosmos X2, and a publishing contract that lead to nothing. At least I got mentioned on IGN. My current project is a platformer in XNA called Antipole. You can check videos here: http://www.youtube.com/user/saturninegames

Side note... if you haven't seen Glow Artisan from Powerhead Games, their recent indie DSiWare title, check it out. It's a great game, and it was fun being a small part of it.

Facebook
Twitter: @SaturnineGames
benbradley
« Reply #3350 on: March 05, 2010, 01:56:39 AM »

Howdy. Life story:

I'm Ben, 28 and I live in Sheffield, England. I started designing and programming games at about 10 years old, it's always been what I wanted to do. I started on STOS on the Atari ST. After school I did a BSc in games programming at Abertay Dundee in Scotland, and then an MSc in games programming at Hull (partly cos I liked uni and didn't want to leave, and partly cos I wasn't happy enough with some aspects of my programming).

After this I got a programming job at Sumo Digital. I worked on three racing games in a row for the Wii and PSP. I wasn't really jumping at the oppurtuntity to do a fourth, so I left to "go indie". Smiley

Indie game dev had been in the back of my mind since Darwinia. When that game came out I was amazed that a boxed product could reach the shop shelves with no publisher funding, and to have a graphical style from 10 years ago when the forward march of games technology is always given so much talk. It showed that although difficult, you don't need the support of a major publisher to make a successful game. I hoped I could have a go at that someday.

I saved as much of my junior programmer salary as I could and indie dev was one of the ideas I had for that money. Now seemed like the best time for me to go for it, so I did. I had been in the industry long enough to learn how to be a professional games programmer, but just short enough not to lose the love for game dev. I don't have too many responsibilties right now and if I lose everything I can get a real job again and hopefully carry on without ruining my life too much. The indie scene has exploded in the last couple of years and it has been amazing to watch (and play the games!) of this time.

As for my game, I am working alone developing a single-player 3D PC game. Right now I am in month 3 of about 14 of the development, so it's early days. But the terror of repsonsibility hit me on day three so it's feeling very real by now. Smiley
AndyKorth
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3351 on: March 05, 2010, 02:08:28 PM »

Hi all, I'm Andy from Howling Moon Software. About a year and a half ago, my partner Scott and I decided to start an indie game development company. We're still around and we've got a couple iPhone games, a Mac/Windows game, and we've recently branched out a bit and done a utility app. We also do a lot of contract work, both for iPhone (physics stuff) and Unity3D.

Looking forward to being a part of this community! Mostly we hang out in the iDevGames forum, but I figured I should branch out.

Howling Moon Software- Twilight Golf, Crayon Ball, and Unity3D stuff
Toeofdoom
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3352 on: March 06, 2010, 05:18:51 AM »

Hi guys, I'm Matt, some 20 year old Aussie programmer.

I'm currently in my final year of study at Swinburne, learning to make (who would guess?) computer games. I've participated in the Experimental Gameplay Project a little, with mixed results.

For some reason I find myself not enjoying many games recently, as strange as that may seem. Maybe I've just been playing the wrong games. Previously I have enjoyed games such as Mirror's Edge, Left 4 Dead 2 (never really like 1 that much), Team Fortress 2, Empire: Total War, Eve Online and Multiwinia as well as many more. The only games I currently seem to like playing are Audiosurf, Nethack and Off-Road Velociraptor Safari HD.

As for the games I've made... [Advertising heavy section D:] Well, there was the one involving a Rocket-Car-Helicopter-Submarine. Then there was the attempt to make a "worms-like" artillery game with a heavy emphasis on using physics to your advantage. Most recently there was a silly experimental asteroids clone. My current project is an RTS/TBS mashup where giving orders and watching them happen occur at entirely separate times.

As for what I'll be doing after the course... that's yet to be decided.

ToxicHamster
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3353 on: March 07, 2010, 10:01:13 AM »

I'm Tyler, aka ToxicHamster.  I'm a former Graphic Design major ('former' being the result of a disagreement with the school's financial aid department) working on teaching myself coding and more graphics skills.

Surprisingly enough, I want to make video games.  Thus, here I are.

The above post may be affected by alcohol, lack of sleep, free thought, or common sense.  Take with a grain of salt and a sense of humor.
TheLastBanana
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3354 on: March 07, 2010, 09:27:47 PM »

Hi!
I'm TheLastBanana.  If you've seen me anywhere, it's probably on the Data Realms forums - I'm a content developer for Cortex Command.  Most of my experience is in Lua from modding Cortex Command, as well as GML, but I'm currently dabbling in C++ and getting closer to having a working version of my latest game.
I've released 2 games on YoyoGames, one of which was lackluster to the nth degree and the other which was far too complicated to be enjoyable.  In the very least I can say I learned from this and that I'm planning on making something a bit more exciting this time around. Smiley
Mostly I'm a programmer, but I can do highly okay pixel art (because you can't have a real game until you've had some placeholder sprites in there).
One of the main things that inspired me to develop video games is the Sonic series.  The classic ones of course, none of the unfortunate stuff that's coming out in recent years.  In fact, the main thing that makes me nostalgic is the music - those games had some of the funkiest soundtracks ever.
Also, before anyone asks...  Yes, my avatar does change when you reload the page.  No, it is not a duck.
Ashkin
« Reply #3355 on: March 07, 2010, 09:54:38 PM »

Took you long enough to get here, TLB.
drChengele
Level 2

if (status = UNDER_ATTACK) launch_nukes();

View Profile
« Reply #3356 on: March 08, 2010, 06:05:45 PM »

Hello everyone. Yet another fresh face into the fray. Gentleman

I am 28 years old and hail from a small and perky country in Southern Europe, and I've been making game prototypes for at least 10 years already. My gamedev roots come from the venerable Commodore 64. I'd been working in Basic and its Visual iterations for several years before I finally bit the bullet and made the leap to C++.

In a very unusual twist, I am getting my medical degree in a few months. Why go into indie gamedev then? Because indie games are awesome, that's why. Also, I'm hoping that my day job will be sufficient to provide funding for my indie endeavours. I don't really intend to make a living off commercial games, I just want to make them because I can and I have want to ever since I was a kid. Currently the two activities are a BIT at odds with one another due to time constraints, but who knows, perhaps some day I will combine them somehow. I mean, an MD who knows how to design games and code them should be guaranteed to not go hungry come hell or high water, right?

Having accumulated a decent knowledge of c++ and DirectX over the past several years, and since getting that MD will finally give me more spare time to spend on gamedev projects, I think it is finally the time to break radio silence and start being a member of the community.

The games I am currently making include: an absurdly large-scale galactic conquest strategy game; an arcade game where you fight infections and cancer as a white blood cell Rambo-style; and one where steam powered flying battleships are battering the bejesus out of each other with absurdly sized turreted guns. I will soon decide which of these to pursue and finish first.

I am looking forward to being a member of the forums.

Praetor
Currently working on : tactical battles.
Valk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3357 on: March 12, 2010, 03:16:07 PM »

Hey, so my gaming name is Valk, my real name is Kerrie, and everyone calls me Kezz. Smiley

I'm 31 and my first gaming experience was Pong, for real, on some kind of console my parents had that I have no idea the name of. The nameless console, the Commodore 64 and then the Atari 2600 spelled the beginning of my addiction.

I first started getting into the development things when I was in a UT2004 clan. A mapping competition came up and I decided to learn to make levels so I could enter. I made it to the finals and then voluntarily withdrew when I got a sponsorship offer from a hardware manufacturer for the map. Sweet.

Since then I've kept on doing level design and building 3D skills:

And I've been dabbling with Flash games with one published by Bunny Games.

Sadly I have sweet FA time around running my business to actually work on my projects, but I have two flash games and a PC platformer in the works. I'll get them done one day, I hope!

So, it's good to be here and I'll look forward to chatting with you all.

Cheers,

- Kezz
jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #3358 on: March 12, 2010, 03:21:01 PM »

I don't know if I have posted here yet, but here goes...

I am not the jonbro on newgrounds, I am a different one. I have a few really shitty games I made for mac ( http://jonbro.tk/software.html ), and a nice iPhone music toy ( http://luckyframe.co.uk/mujik ). I am working on some other iphone music toys, and I am starting to learn game maker (java -> cpp -> gamemaker, what a relief this is!).

ok, thats all I gots.

relay01
Level 0

<<<o>>> = Dopler Effect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3359 on: March 12, 2010, 03:26:17 PM »

Hi All,
This is relay01 or Dustin.

I am a game designer/programmer with no completed projects under my belt.  Just several tech demos and design documents.

I will post no pictures of myself right now as I am currently losing weight. (10lb. so far w00t)

My website is www.dustingray.net I post information about myself, my projects, and indie game reviews on there.  It's new as of the time of this writing so there isn't a lot of content yet.

Hopefully one day you will all know me more through my work.
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 602
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic