Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411636 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: Danque_Birbington_II

May 13, 2024, 10:33:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallThe Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 602
Print
Author Topic: The Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread  (Read 1963130 times)
Lemming
Level 2

victim of gravity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3360 on: March 13, 2010, 04:59:17 AM »

I first started getting into the development things when I was in a UT2004 clan. A mapping competition came up and I decided to learn to make levels so I could enter. I made it to the finals and then voluntarily withdrew when I got a sponsorship offer from a hardware manufacturer for the map. Sweet.

Cool! I made some unreleased (unreleasable) levels for it, that kinda sucked. Also made a combination between the goo rifle and sticky mines, so I made a sticky-goo-mine launcher. T'was awesome. Gentleman

Fork and Beard
Level 0

kappa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3361 on: March 13, 2010, 08:41:38 AM »

My name is Mitchell, I was born near Birmingham and now live in Gorleston, Norfolk. The first computer game I ever played was Kane for the Spectrum 128k. It was crap. I've been hooked on games ever since.

Top 6:
Doom II
Space Harrier
Head Over Heels
Final Fantasy VII
Street Fighter II
Secret of Monkey Island

I will love Spectrums til the day I die.

I presently work for a 'pseudo' insurance company in Norwich. Developing a claims management system written in VB.NET with an MS SQL Server back end.

At home I dabble in Java, and spend any spare second tending to one of about sixteen pet coding projects - mostly games.

I've become a bit hooked on the Devlogs forum. I hope to add a couple of projects on there soon - once I've contributed a bit more to the existing Devlogs.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 01:42:01 PM by Fork and Beard » Logged

NeoStrider
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: March 13, 2010, 11:00:25 AM »

Im Daniel "NeoStrider" Monteiro, from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
I've been doing mobile open source games for some 5 years now and  Im still happy with it. My current project is Angstron2, a episodic game (the first was just released a few months ago and Im working on a sequel. (http://angstron2.garage.maemo.org).

Im currently pursuing a certain style and gameplay genre, in the style of RPG/FPS games, like System Shock. Hope anyone likes it!
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3363 on: March 14, 2010, 12:08:25 AM »

Hi, I dont like to reveal much about myself, but everyone calls me Da.
Also I have never had an account on a forum before, so please forgive me if I do something wrong. orz

I'll just list some things about me:
I know about this site because of my friend, Godsavant, who also has an account here.
I'm 21 and have been drawing since I was little.
I make games using Gamemaker
I make music using Pixeltone Collage
I make any digital art using MS Paint
I have an obsession with Airships and Clouds

Also I have a very hard time seeing things through to the end.

I've been working on a game called N-Faita by myself for a few years now, and I hope it's a big success whenever I get it finished.

Here is some Cave Story fanart. I'm told you guys would like this sort of thing
And here's some sprites I made.

Ok, so, uh... END OF MESSAGE.

X3N
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: March 14, 2010, 11:51:48 AM »

Hi guys, I'm Matt, some 20 year old Aussie programmer.

I'm currently in my final year of study at Swinburne, learning to make (who would guess?) computer games. I've participated in the Experimental Gameplay Project a little, with mixed results.

For some reason I find myself not enjoying many games recently, as strange as that may seem. Maybe I've just been playing the wrong games. Previously I have enjoyed games such as Mirror's Edge, Left 4 Dead 2 (never really like 1 that much), Team Fortress 2, Empire: Total War, Eve Online and Multiwinia as well as many more. The only games I currently seem to like playing are Audiosurf, Nethack and Off-Road Velociraptor Safari HD.

As for the games I've made... [Advertising heavy section D:] Well, there was the one involving a Rocket-Car-Helicopter-Submarine. Then there was the attempt to make a "worms-like" artillery game with a heavy emphasis on using physics to your advantage. Most recently there was a silly experimental asteroids clone. My current project is an RTS/TBS mashup where giving orders and watching them happen occur at entirely separate times.

As for what I'll be doing after the course... that's yet to be decided.

The games you like are more open-ended "freestyle" games than say.. a single player adventure. Racing, reaction, and.. the unbeatable Nethack. Maybe that's it?

Welcome all the new indies!
Looking forward to the games everyone makes  Cool

destiny is truth pre-op
maxwell
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3365 on: March 14, 2010, 04:21:03 PM »

hi, I'm maxwell, and this is what my name looks like WRITTEN IN FIRE at the beach

I've been making games for ~8 years. Old ones are on my site, new one is on the way:

Although I'm just introducing myself, I've been reading the forum for a while and I play most of what comes through here. Haven't posted any feedback yet, so I'll just say here that yr games are rad, it's an inspiration to see all the fresh ideas and technique that goes into them.

My favorites are mostly competitive games, though at my best I'm a pretty mid-level player. But I love games that push you to really figure out how they work and get inside the mind of your opponent. Right now I'm all about Soul Calibur IV, & a little greedcorp on the side.

Dragonmaw
« Reply #3366 on: March 14, 2010, 05:17:37 PM »

Also I have never had an account on a forum before, so please forgive me if I do something wrong. orz

I know about this site because of my friend, Godsavant, who also has an account here.

I've been working on a game called N-Faita by myself for a few years now, and I hope it's a big success whenever I get it finished.

That fanart and pixel work is AWESOME. Can't wait to see N-Faita.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3367 on: March 14, 2010, 05:18:15 PM »

Nice sprites!

godsavant
« Reply #3368 on: March 14, 2010, 05:18:25 PM »

Grin
Well, look who it is!
chocomallows
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: March 14, 2010, 11:05:12 PM »

:handanykey:Hi there Im new here and i would like to join your community, I love animes and games like specially games with anime characters hahahaha hope i find new friends here. HI.. HI.. HI!!!!!  Big Laff Durr...?
Ratchet
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3370 on: March 15, 2010, 07:16:44 AM »

Hi, I'm Ratchet, and I'm an alco- game developer.

Me and some friends have started our little endeavour, Propellor and Ratchet Games, although we're going to be expanding from games once the relevant domain name frees up. We're all students at university; two others on Creative Computing courses, and myself on Music Composition.

My co-founder, Propellor, is our primary coder and ideas-man. The number of games we're making at any one time is directly proportional to the amount of caffeine or alcohol in his system. At last count we had around 20 concepts ranging from basic-idea to demo's-nearly-finished, which is probably a bad way to do this, but it keeps him busy.
(I've decided that if we make money from this, I'm going to hire someone to slap his hand and say "NO" in a firm voice, whenever he opens his browser.)

Our third member is Battery, who is a better coder and hairier than either of us. You might want to look at the video of his game, Laika, which I think looks significantly more awesome in motion.

My talents trend toward the artistic, although I do coding too. If we ever focus on one thing, I think we'll have a good balance. Here is an example of some music, and some roughish concept art for our first game, may it one  day be complete, TurnShip:

TurnShip is a turn-based strategy game with airships; in single-player, you guide a flotilla from the Britannian fleet (whose ships are based on Chess pieces), into war against the Ottorians (based on old/Tarot card suits), who have been running guerrilla attacks on Britannia and stealing water, which is odd because previously the two nations had a lucrative trade agreement.
The ships run on a material called Thermapeg (full name: Thermapegeremarium), which is highly buoyant and jumps up and down all over Newton's conservation of energy laws, laughing.

The game's current state is of an unfinished demo, in Python and Pygame, although it's nearly there. I can't nail Propellor down to doing any work on it and Battery is busy with coursework, so I've been doing it in my spare time as best I can.

I've also been working on concepts for the Platformer that the music above is for, and a game-cum-synthesiser called Bounce, which is for my own coursework.

Propellor is working out and making two or three games set in space (one action, one strategy/resource-management), as well as a 3D OpenGL/C++ AI experiment that started off in Pygame, written by me.

To sum up our studio in one word: disorganised.

I'm a bit crap at social sort of things, but I'd like to become a member of this community, because it looks awesome. See you around!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: March 15, 2010, 08:25:06 PM »

I love those graphics.

Lemming
Level 2

victim of gravity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3372 on: March 16, 2010, 12:55:29 AM »

My talents trend toward the artistic, although I do coding too. If we ever focus on one thing, I think we'll have a good balance. Here is an example of some music, and some roughish concept art for our first game, may it one  day be complete, TurnShip:

This is cute. I love cute. Grin

Gary the Llama
Level 0

World's Angriest Llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: March 16, 2010, 06:34:46 AM »

Hi, I'm Gary the Llama. (Not a furry. My parents and their friends pranked me when I was 10 by having me feed a llama they knew would spit on me. The nickname pretty much came from that.)

As is the usual story, I've wanted to be a game programmer since I was about ten years old. Seventeen years later, I am a programmer but not in the game industry. Cry That doesn't stop me from working on games in my free time though. I've made a few simple games, a lot of unfinished games and demos - but never completed a full game that I could call my own.

That is going to change now. I've been working on my game for a few months now (after a couple of false starts) but development is going pretty well. I don't have much to show just yet, just a lot of programmer art flying around the screen, but I hope to have some screenshots and video soon.

I've been lurking around here for a while and think it's a great community. I hope I can help continue that trend.
Antic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3374 on: March 16, 2010, 11:53:51 AM »

Hey all,

The name's Jeff, I'm a co-founder and creative director at Antic Entertainment. To give you a brief background of Antic; it was founded a year and a half ago by 3 industry veterans that were tired of suits making all the calls. We wanted to take it back to the reason we got into the industry in the first place, make the games we want to make!

Anywho, looking forward to discussion and meeting you all!

Jeff
dumbmanex
Level 1

Stay out of the water!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3375 on: March 16, 2010, 05:30:57 PM »

Greetings and such!

My name is Brent, I've been screwing around with making games for maybe 5 or 6 years.  I operate as Backyard Ninja Design, and have two completed titles to date.

Background time!
I started gaming at the ripe age of 3 when my parents decided to see what would happen if they stuck me in front of the TV with an Atari 2600.  A MONSTER WAS BORN!

Super Mario Bros stage 1-4 was the first time I remember being scared(by a game Tongue).  It was the lack of color, evil music, and fire from nowhere!  I had my mother beat the stage for me a few times, then she finally told me I'd have to do it myself from then on.

When the 16bit era rolled around I pretty much knew I wanted to make games for a living.  The sense of awe while playing games like ALTTP, Contra 3, Starfox, cripes, I was sold.

My main skill was art at that time.  I dabbled in some coding on the apple IIe and dos qbasic, made all kinds of paper cut-out games with friends.  Made a turnbased strategy game out of all those awesome ninja turtle and gi joe toys(headless barbie doll), had stat cards, used a ruler to measure movement.  Was a DM for a while before concocting my own rpg ruleset(which was garbage).  Went to college for 3D animation, graduated, did some work on mods for Unreal, Neverwinter Nights, and Dungeon Siege.  One day decided to try this stuff on my own, found Game Maker.  I think that's about it, I mean some details are sparse, but I'm not writing a novel here.

Anyhow, this is the first time I've really been on these forums, the PA forums are my home base.  I'm a hermit by nature, so I mostly lurk, but I've found out here lately that I stand no chance of making a living at this without participating in circles that relate to what I do.  DON'T HIT ME!  I'll be around then.  Time to fill out my profile :D.

You want to see what my dumbass looks like?
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_kdN4M9YVsxg/S5hwGb859-I/AAAAAAAAACQ/dLL-jnIuOik/s1600-h/Catzooka_Banjo.jpg
Poor cat Banjo died several days ago, damnable bummer. Sad

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3376 on: March 18, 2010, 04:00:35 AM »

Greetings and such!
I read "Greetings and lunch!".

argh
« Reply #3377 on: March 18, 2010, 07:12:15 PM »

Hey I'm Dean

I've been playing freeware games for about 4 years now, also regularly checking tigsource and indiegames blog, and before that the daily click.
I do a bit of pixel art, but I'm mostly looking to do some compositions for games.

Here is some of my pixel work:

Cocytus79
Level 0

Pathetic man-child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3378 on: March 18, 2010, 11:25:20 PM »

Heya guys, nice to meet you all. My real name is Chris, and I've been playing games for just about as long as I can recall.

I've toyed around with very basic (like, seriously child-level) game development a few times and done some veeeeery basic art here and there for friend's projects (none of which came to fruition). So basically my role is in the actual PLAYING of games.

During the past year or so I've been searching for something a bit more exciting and fulfilling, and have found a whole world that I'd always known about but had never,I guess you could say, appreciated.

I've played so many great "indie" games in the recent past, I just try to get the word out when I can. I'm always trying to get gamers I know to try some of these really amazing games I'm playing, but none of them seem to take them seriously because they don't cost $60  Angry

To that end I've done the only half-assed, cheap, and silly thing I could do. I've completely remade my old, derelict Myspace into an indie game review blog where anyone I can convince to visit can find reviews of and links to Indie games I have known and loved.

I've only just started my little endeavor, but if I can convince just a few people to try some of these great games I'll feel like I've done something.

I'm looking forward to interacting with you all, and I'm sure things will go swimmingly  Gentleman
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3379 on: March 18, 2010, 11:48:19 PM »

Hey I'm Dean

I've been playing freeware games for about 4 years now, also regularly checking tigsource and indiegames blog, and before that the daily click.
I do a bit of pixel art, but I'm mostly looking to do some compositions for games.

Here is some of my pixel work:

Hotlinking error. Re-uploaded for you. Smiley

Also, welcome, ya'll.

@dumbmanex: Poor kitty Sad What's PA?

@Ratchet: That pic is excellent! I'm wondering what you plan on having for the final graphics? A really polished version of that mock could be delicious. <3
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 11:54:52 PM by Inane » Logged

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 602
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic