Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411961 Posts in 69436 Topics- by 58480 Members - Latest Member: MichaelM

June 13, 2024, 11:38:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallThe Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 602
Print
Author Topic: The Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread  (Read 2011642 times)
work3
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6600 on: September 13, 2013, 06:01:19 AM »

Hi all, Brian Flanagan, AKA Studio work3 (coz it's all work,work,work!) here..

I live in Tokyo, and make games 9-5, then make and play games 6-AM

I am an old fart.

I am a member of the 1H1D! Chiptune crew, Occasionally DJ Chiptune/rave/gamemusic mashup sets as DJBJF

DJBJF NYE party set@cafe la siesta
http://www.work3.com/mixi/Cafe_la_siesta_123108.mp3

My action puzzle game Ookibloks was nominated for an excellence in audio award at the IGF way back in 2008.

Finally got it finished on iOS a while back and it went live today..

*hugs*
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 06:20:04 AM by work3 » Logged
TinyGolem
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6601 on: September 13, 2013, 08:15:54 AM »

Hi, my name is Alex.

Gamer since Mario Bros. on the original Nintendo system. Good times! I can still hear the click of the internal mechanism that would lock the grey cartridge in the bottom of that huge box and signal the start of rapidly passing hours.

Since then I've become a developer, mainly for the corporate world. Now and then the games would come visit me in my dreams and request a new sibling. So now I have finally taken up that quest... Let the games begin!

Small nutty person that lives in a sphere of code, chocolate and things that go *zap* *fizzl*.
0x0961h
Level 2

Quantum Demon

View Profile
« Reply #6602 on: September 14, 2013, 05:01:12 AM »

Greetings, glorious ladies and gentlemen of TIG. Gentleman

After many years of reading TIGF threads, watching other games' screenshots and worshipping Oryx as the Lo-Fi Sprites' God I've decided to finally register and spent a little time here.

Let me briefly introduce myself first: my real name is Max, my fictional name is 0x0961h (mistery, huh?), I'm a programmer, gamer and (well) junior indie games developer (more like "prototypes developer"... -_-).

My first serious project (let's just skip school years and those games written on Delphi, okay?) was made for Experimental Gameplay Project about a year ago. It was classic "veni, vidi, vici": I saw a theme, I always wanted to try XNA in action, I made a game (in two weeks). IT HAZ PHYZIKS!!!11

'twas fun expirience. Game idea was interesting in my opinion, though the game itself lacked of good levels, so the result wasn't as good as I expected.

Rewind to March 2013. The second I was working with Java, LWJGL, my own game engine, JBox2D and a little portion of mathematics. The result of few weeks of "playing" (and a couple of weeks of building the game engine before it) was the prototype called "The Light Orb".

The core gameplay idea was simple: you can't see a game level. You can't see walls, you can't see obstacles, pits, only shadows, which are casted by the light orb. Here's the sample screenshot from it. There are also a few videos of demo gameplay available, but I won't bother you with 'em.

So this time I was more into playing with techs like shaders, 2D lights and bump-mapping.

My last project (that pretended to be a serious game) was puzzle with procedurally generated levels that was built for Experimental Gameplay Project (I'm still very sad, that there are no new themes on EGP *sigh*). So far it's my most polished and most favourite game. I'm really proud of it, though some people told me it lacked story/campaign. But it has gameplay and random stuff, guys!

That's all about me as gamedev. As gamer I love all genres and "scale" of games. The list of them are infinite and I feel you're already bored reading this, so thank you for your time. Best regards. Smiley

Jack Spinoza
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6603 on: September 14, 2013, 06:43:20 AM »

My name is Jack and I like making games in a kind of lo-fi way. I like to incorporate crafts and 4-track recorded music and more tactile visual aesthetics to my games.
Yomic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6604 on: September 14, 2013, 10:58:06 AM »

Hello TIGSource people!

My name is Trey, known online usually as Yomic or @Trueyomic (as in my reddit or twitter handle).  I've been gaming since I was probably three starting with the Marios on the NES.  I Played mostly Nintendo consoles growing up.  My consoles growing up were NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, N64, Gameboy (normal, color, advance, DS original), Gamecube, Wii, PS2, Xbox, 360, and soon a PS3.  I've since graduated to PC gaming with an extensive steam library consisting of mostly indie games + a lot more non organized titles.  

There are too many inspirations to mention, but a few of note that were especially inspiring early on were Megaman X (1-3) and MMBN/SF, SNES marios (and yoshi), zeldas (LttP, OoT, MM, WW, and Link's Awakening), Kirby All Stars, and Pokemon (Digimon too, but mostly the show).

Indie games I've found inspiring are Cave Story, La Mulana, lots of RPG Maker games (again, too many to mention; so many gems in that scene), Spelunky, Bastion, Terraria, Minecraft, VVVVVV, and Braid.

When I was younger I always knew that I wanted to make games, but as I was young I was a bit naïve about the industry.  I did make a few early attempts at learning programming languages such as QBASIC, Interplay's Learn to program BASIC, and even ZZT's OOP scripting 'language'.  Eventually in early high school I joined a gaming community (GamingW at the time; now SaltWorld) and picked up Rpg Maker.  I made a small 2 hour adventure/RPG and a 2-player RPG battle system.  I also contributed to the first Chain Game (as yomic777) and helped make a map for Erave's (Tyler's) Channel Changer (Episode 2's boss's hideout).  After a while lots of the community left, and I did with them.  I dabbled in python around this time too, learning very basic programming concepts.

I went off to college but due to a bout of depression (which started in middle school, went away, and came back) and dropped out.  Luckily I had a backup plan and went into IT work where I am still in today.  I got married at age 22 and now have a one year old (at age 25) with my wonderful wife.  Oh, and I've been depression free since dating my wife 7+ years ago!

Indie games have been a huge inspiration to me as far as bringing back that old magic and giving me the drive to make my own games.  More recently though, perhaps 3-4 years ago I discovered Minecraft (not my first indie game, but the first with a decent modding community).  After watching Notch program in a Ludum Dare stream, I decided to pick up Java to mod (I never did start modding).  

Since then I've released one commercial android game mostly to learn the ropes: (Blackout Grid in the play store if you're interested) and before then started working on a Pet sim, also for android.  That game's dev blog can be found here:  Yomic's Pet Sim Game.

Thanks for reading if you made it this far!  I hope to become a part of the community like I sort of was with Gaming World, except this time, I'll be releasing games!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 01:08:53 PM by Yomic » Logged

Merced
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6605 on: September 15, 2013, 05:24:31 PM »

Hello everyone!

My name is David, online I usually go as Merced but in the case that this is taken I am often found under all kinds of newer Intel processor codenames or simply as dklande. Merced was still considered cool and Next-Gen when I took the nick, long before it failed miserably as Itanium. I still kept the Nick ...  Gentleman

I came accross this site while searching for interesting indie sites and communities as I am an indie developer myself, currently working on a tycoon game called Cars Incorporated. But more on that elsewhere and not now  Smiley

I started with computers as a kid, first playing with the C64 of my uncle until I discovered that I could make it do what I wanted, aka program it. My first encounter with a PC was at a friend who played games on his father's computer. Having no idea what I was doing I tried out some C64-BASIC commands in DOS... to little effect of course (hey, I was a kid  Roll Eyes ).
His father showed us QBASIC and from there on I was programming all kind of little stuff with my friend. I got my own used stone-age PC from my parents which was just enough for QBASIC - this was an (even then) old 8088 with the immense amount of 20 Megabyte hard disk space. What a nice memory.

I never was able to get an education in this direction so all my knowledge is completely derived from self-education. Over the years I went through a number of BASIC and Pascal versions, including Turbo Pascal, Delphi, Visual Basic, Blitz and Dark Basic. I did try to learn Visual C++ at some point but I failed at the simple task of doing a Hello World. Not because of the language but because that version of Visual C++ responded to File/New Project by opening like a gazillion text editor windows and I never found out which one I needed. That was a long time ago but I never went back to trying it - but someday I will. Or so I keep telling myself. For now I arrived at a place I feel comfortable at because it's not that far from my C64-BASIC and QBASIC roots. Dark Basic Pro.

Other than BASIC and Pascal versions I also do limited amounts of web languages such as HTML, JavaScript and PHP. I know. Not really that far away from C++, but from the look of things I'll probably try my hands at a small Java-project when Cars Incorporated is completed sometime in 2014 or 2015 (estimated).

Thanks for reading and looking forward to talking to you all about all things indie :-)

Malleus Inferni
Level 0

The worst person in the world

View Profile
« Reply #6606 on: September 15, 2013, 06:20:21 PM »

Hi. Uh, I'm Mako.

I've dabbled in some kind of game development more or less throughout my entire life, with not much to show for it so far. The thing that got me hooked, if memory serves, was A Mess O' Trouble, a sort of hybrid adventure game for old school Macs:

Textual input was the norm, so you'd navigate between rooms by typing "north" or "up." But you'd also see a slick drawing of your current location, with suitable ambient sound effects, and you could interact with some items just by clicking on them. All this was standard fare for the free game engine World Builder, which you can probably still find somewhere, though you'll need an emulator to run it on today's machines.

I tried making my own World Builder game for a while (some nonsense about exploding giants), "graduated" to weird Duke Nukem and Escape Velocity mods, and eventually learned to write entire programs out of a growing interest in AI. Since crossing that threshold I've done a lot of stuff I can't really talk about, but to get to the point I recently had a fun idea for a horror game that I'll post about in the near future.

I was planning to add more but I'll cut this short. Hi folks.
ttrkaya
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6607 on: September 16, 2013, 02:14:48 AM »

Hi I am ttrkaya.

I am an indie game developer, working with Flash at the moment.

My work is here: www.ttrkaya.com

Thanks for the great forum!
lordinarius
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6608 on: September 16, 2013, 11:42:51 AM »

Hi i am Ömer from Turkey
Member of a developer group that is named BitPixel. I have published a game 3 days ago on Google play.

Thanks  Smiley
compostface
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6609 on: September 16, 2013, 11:48:10 AM »

This thread is so huge, don't know if posting here is necessary anymore, but anyways...

I used to make board games when I was little, but then stopped at whatever age it was.
I've been focusing on getting better at art/illustration for the last few years.

Last year I found out about gamemaker.  Followed Derek's beginner tutorial, and started making some things.  Since then I've been trying to get better at programming.  Trying out Löve and now Unity.
Making games seems to be a better fit for me than doing only artwork.

I hope to make some games/things that are worth playing.

Neo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6610 on: September 17, 2013, 08:48:06 AM »

Hola a todos, my name's Dario, I'm 18 yrs old and I'm from Dominican Republic.

I got interested in game development not too long ago, I've been lurking the forums for a while now finding lots of interesting and useful information, I'm an amateur in every way so i'd say that my main objective is simply to learn and have fun as i go. I'm getting started with a not very well known engine called Byond, even though I'm more into pixel art and i have been trying to learn how to program which is kind of difficult for me but i know if i keep on practicing and putting down code i will get it eventually. I always feel like i start late on everything maybe that's just me being delusional haha, hopefully in the future i will be capable of making a game worthwhile playing.

It's always nice to meet people who share the same interests.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 07:55:02 AM by Neo » Logged
Storm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6611 on: September 17, 2013, 12:58:33 PM »

Hi! My name is Marco, and I'm a videogame addict  Noir

I don't remember if I loved games or programming first, it's all blurred in the memories of my childhood. I recall a 12 years old (or so) myself having long BASIC programming sessions on my C64 trying to understand how sprites worked, as well as having great D&D sessions with friends, talking about TSR games like "Pool of Radiance", "Defender of the Crown", and so many more great old games I would fill a forum page with just this post.

Despite my school career going through things like electronic and biology (I dreamed about being a cybernetic researcher at that point, but life had different plan for me Undecided), I kept playing every videogame I can put my hands on and tried to learn every programming language I could.

Then Internet came. I ended up learning C while setting up an Italian MUD server (called "Dragon Storm"... oh, the love I had for that MUD...), PHP while setting up its home page, and so on. And everything evolved quickly: Ultima Online, DAOC, Anarchy Online, EVE Online, SWG, World of Warcraft, and a gazillion of other MMORPGs taught me how online games played together with your friends could be *really* great.

Curiously enough, I didn't felt the urge to join my gaming and my coding passions together until recently, when I seriously started thinking about developing games. It was always there as an idea, but always somewhat in background. Two years ago, a little chance appeared, but in an unusual direction: instead of trying to start my gaming developer career in a big, well-known games studio, I met some friend with my same passions, and we decided to go completely crazy and start our Indie Studio, Hex Keep. It STILL is not a real work, as we're working on our first game for free, while earning some money with our old work, but (we hope) it's just a matter of time.

In the meantime, I keep playing every game I can, working on Gates of Horizon (our first game), barely sleeping and eating too much pizza.

Have a great day, everyone :-)

Ask me for an Alpha Code for Gates of Horizon.
darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #6612 on: September 17, 2013, 01:01:20 PM »

Last year I found out about gamemaker.  Followed Derek's beginner tutorial, and started making some things.  Since then I've been trying to get better at programming.  Trying out Löve and now Unity.
Making games seems to be a better fit for me than doing only artwork.

Forget about GM, it's a shit tool for beginners. Unity and LOVE are way to go, but for 2D games you should try out Game Develop - it's great tool that mixes best aspects of MultiMedia Fusion 2 (extensions) and Construct (easy, visual coding which makes your game work very fast without any of boring stuff like loading asset or handling sprites) without any of their flaws. Can export natively to Linux and Windows (OSX is pending, but first author of GD need to get enough money in donations to get OSX machine) and recently has added support for HTML5. Great tool! Go get it at http://compilgames.net/. For native games, there's also option to use C++ directly.

Also some comparison:

Making first GM game, time period: week

Most of the time is spent on learning tool and GML since you can't make anything useful with poor excuse of visual coding GM has.

Result: Pong, most basic Snake or something equally boring.

Making first game in Game Develop, again in one week with no prior knowledge of the tool apart that it exist.

Most of the time is spent on actually making damn game because tool is just darn easy to use (you basically just select automatisms, put condition and select what happen when they're met with nice visual interface) and goes out of your way to do things.

Result? Gradius-like space shooter with multiple levels or platformer with dynamic lighting utilizing Box2d physics.

Did I mention Game Develop is totally free, even for commercial usage, doesn't put any nasty splash screens or even require you to acknowledge your game was made with Game Develop at all, though it'd be nice thing to do? Oops, sorry.

Be a computer virus!

I cannot C well, so I stick with simpler languages.

There are no impossible things, there is only lack of skill.
Hiramaky
Level 0

A Lemur.

View Profile
« Reply #6613 on: September 18, 2013, 12:22:28 PM »

Hello there chaps, my name is Hiramaky, and I'm a smoking, snarking extraordinaire. You may also associate me by the names "Professor Lemur", or "Oh God, Not You Again". I am a man of few words and even fewer morals. Finally, I am just this guy who wants to get into marketing games. Not trying to advertise here, but if you want an awesome, sexy British guy advertising your game then please contact me on [REDACTED]
Again, pleased to meet youss.

Just found Gwyneth Paltrow's head in a can of soda. I must have bought Se7en Up by mistake.
Chris MacAdam
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6614 on: September 18, 2013, 05:27:49 PM »

Hello my name is Chris, I have been lurking on this site for a while and decided it is time to finally give in and make my own account.
Me and my brother have been making games for a few years now with things like MMF and now Construct, and this is a good place to get feedback on games and chat with other people with similar interests.
I enjoy making games as a hobby, right now my brother and I are developing an android app. I plan to start a devlog soon and maybe get some feedback on my game. But its nice to finally make an account and get the 'introduce yourself' thread out of the way.

Firebrand Games
Level 0

Firebrand Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6615 on: September 19, 2013, 03:08:49 AM »

Hi, Paul from Firebrand Games here! We're independent developers who are just starting to self publish our own games, mostly focusing on mobile/touch devices, although we have many years experience on a multitude of platforms. Right now we're trying to reach out to as many people as we can to become more visible as a studio. We've got a few things we're looking to bring out in the coming months, unfortunately, I can't talk about them until designs are a little more concrete!  Wink

As for myself, my job here is actually QA at the Glasgow office, but I'm currently helping out with the companies social side as well, as it's majorly important for us to be interacting  with the players. Exposure is definitely a part of the reason for doing that, but we also want feedback and constructive criticism from the community so that we can continue to push ourselves and the games we produce.

I look forward to getting to know the community on here a bit better in the coming weeks, months or, hopefully, years!  Grin

Cheers,
Paul

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6616 on: September 19, 2013, 03:26:08 AM »

Hey, Solar Flux sounds pretty cool.
Firebrand Games
Level 0

Firebrand Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6617 on: September 19, 2013, 03:58:16 AM »

Hey, Solar Flux sounds pretty cool.

Thanks! If you get it (it is only available on iPad so far...), make sure to have the sound on or headphones in, the music and effects are quite chilled and relaxing! Smiley

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6618 on: September 19, 2013, 04:07:26 AM »

Unfortunately I'll have to wait for a PC/Mac release ..
JJDGS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6619 on: September 19, 2013, 05:39:34 AM »

Hi guys. I'm JJ from Druid Gameworks LLC.  Druid Gameworks Studio LLC began back in 2010 when core members Cole MacLean, Jamie Ford, and Mark Buckley were two years into development on Reclaiming Sancre Tor, a 40+ gameplay hour expansion project for Bethesda's Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

It was during that long collaboration that we discovered a shared passion for making great games and almost immediately we began drafting ideas for a truly engaging role play gaming experience. When our project was complete we began testing engines, doing our homework on the industry and took those first steps into indie development on a new breed of RPG game. The dev plan for the Unwritten series was born three years ago with these words "Make a better RP Experience for Immersion Players" and that remains our goal.

Druid Gameworks is a fledgling Indie Game Studio made up of several veteran developers from the Elder Scrolls Modding community as well as industry experienced artists. Some of our recent modding gems for the Elder Scrolls series include Climates of Tamriel, Liver Another Life, Unique Uniques, Open Cities and the Unofficial Skyrim Patches. Combined we have over 50 years of game design credit and we're ready to put it to the test in our first commercial title called Unwritten:Echoes of Twilight.

We are flying the flag for the little guy, the ones who dare to dream.

I myself am a child of the 70's. I've owned a multitude of different gaming platforms but it my ZX Spectrum 48k, which holds that special place in my heart. I looking forward to getting to know the community here better, and hope I can contribute in the weeks, months and years to come.

Peace out

JJ

Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 602
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic