Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412053 Posts in 69447 Topics- by 58483 Members - Latest Member: Exye

June 22, 2024, 07:45:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesMDickie Publishes Book, Leaves Game Design
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: MDickie Publishes Book, Leaves Game Design  (Read 37759 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« on: January 28, 2009, 09:48:35 AM »

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1441414983

Gaming's most outspoken character finally speaks out about himself! For almost a decade, Mat Dickie electrified the games industry with his prolific output. He used unconventional methods to create unconventional games, and redefined what could be achieved by one man. Audiences responded accordingly and ensured his underground rumblings would resonate around the world. For the first time ever, the true story behind that fascinating period is documented in this comprehensive book. In his own words, Mat takes us on an emotional journey from the childhood dream to the adult that lived it out. Along the way, we learn about the life experiences that shaped his character and fuelled his resolve - and we get the final word on why it had to come to an end. You've played the games behind the life. Now get acquainted with the life behind the games...

It's now on my wish list. He's one of the more interesting figures in indie gaming, so this book is bound to be a piece of indie gaming history.

The book's first user review:

The bad news is that this book has precious little to do with making games. The good news is that it doesn't matter because it's a nice piece of work in its own right! It's all about destiny and what it takes to fulfill your ambitions - whatever they may be.

It's got the best beginning AND the best ending of any autobiography I've ever read. It starts with him rejecting women, friends, and family to dedicate himself to his craft, and ends with him thawing to the idea of living a normal life after becoming friends with some girl (who, ironically, he meets online?!). It's a wonderfully circular theme that reminds you that this is no ordinary autobiography. The last chapter alone is a work of literary genius - right down to the pun of the title!

What happens along the way is just as interesting, as we're treated to a brutally honest account of how he came to be the man that he is - for better or worse. The book's 30 chapters move along swiftly with just a few pages for each (and plenty of accompanying pics), but it's a deliberate thing that breaks it down into nice segments. You'll be saying "just one more chapter" until the very end!

At the end of the day, this is classic MDickie - putting himself on the line in the name of entertainment. You either get it or you don't. If you don't, you'll miss out on the most human story that game development has to tell.

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 10:00:17 AM »

Oh my gosh.  I need this. Shocked

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 10:59:59 AM »

What did MDickie do? Sorry, but I guess "Gaming's most outspoken person" never out-spoke to me.  Shrug
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 11:01:25 AM »

What did MDickie do? Sorry, but I guess "Gaming's most outspoken person" never out-spoke to me.  Shrug
He made "Hard Time".  Evil
mirosurabu
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 12:33:37 PM »

He should have called it "Hard Time".

Reviews make me think "when will people learn not to use all the hype-words in their reviews?".
Atnas
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 12:46:13 PM »

Never heard of him until today and honestly I lold when I looked at some of his stuff and read reviews. I don't think it's worth buying at all. I don't think his work is very good at all.

On pixelation someone put this on the same level as Bob's Game and I agree. He seems a bit too full of himself without having any real reason to be so. Both of these people, Bob and Dickie, seem to have tried very hard but they just aren't very talented, and I don't respect effort, I respect quality. I'm not interested in reading some egotistical life story of someone I don't look up to.

So, whatever. Something I won't buy.

John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 12:53:44 PM »

http://www.mdickie.com/commentary.htm
Quote from: MDickie
I had lofty ambitions for this industry and I fell far short of them. But they were ambitions that no other human being has had - let alone taken steps towards. You make it sound like somebody else succeeded where I failed? Like there's somebody out there capable of doing a better job? There isn't. There never was and there never will be. That's what made me bulletproof from day one, and it's what will preserve my legacy long after I'm gone. Criticizing me is like banging your head against a brick wall. If I'm a talentless loser and you're utterly incapable of doing what I do... what does that make you? You see, the more you criticize me the more you criticize yourselves!

It seems I can't criticize him, so I'll just let this quote speak for itself. Go ahead and follow the link above for the context of this quote, it's just as juicy.
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 01:00:22 PM »

On pixelation someone put this on the same level as Bob's Game and I agree. He seems a bit too full of himself without having any real reason to be so. Both of these people, Bob and Dickie, seem to have tried very hard but they just aren't very talented, and I don't respect effort, I respect quality. I'm not interested in reading some egotistical life story of someone I don't look up to.

I was going to say that he appears to me as basically being Bob, just that we actually got to see his games. Whenever I say something like that though, I usually spur a page-long discussion Concerned

I personally DO respect effort, though (the real kind of effort, not the Bob kind of effort) and I'm totally fine with him publishing a book, I just don't think I'd actually read it. And him having a closeup of his mug on the cover isn't exactly helping (that IS him, right?).

The editorial review really could've been written by Bob though. :D

I'm also not saying that he isn't as popular as he wants to be, but I personally heard of him the first time when someone posted the You Testament on the forums and the second time when Paul presented the book here. And I wasn't exactly overwhelmed by either Concerned

Pre-Post-Edit after seeing the quote above me:
OK, this guy is EXACTLY like Bob, I've just lost the little respect I had for him Lips Sealed
"I quit making games because I'm too awesome to make games"
TheBlackMask
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 01:03:48 PM »

Bob is more like MDickie, since MDickie has been doing the whole "I am the greatest game developer ever, pale before me" routine for years.  Bob just added aliens.
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 01:07:33 PM »

For what it's worth, the "16th December 2007" entry titled "The Iceman Thaws" at that same link that I posted is way more reasonable.
mirosurabu
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 01:15:42 PM »

Yeah. When he released "Reach" he thought it's the greatest indie game ever made. But it turns out there's real indie scene.

He obviously has overly high expectations for his projects and seems to undervalue the importance of learning course and slow progression.
nunix
Level 1

This space intentionally left blank.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 01:17:29 PM »

http://www.mdickie.com/commentary.htm
Quote from: MDickie
I had lofty ambitions for this industry and I fell far short of them. But they were ambitions that no other human being has had - let alone taken steps towards. You make it sound like somebody else succeeded where I failed? Like there's somebody out there capable of doing a better job? There isn't. There never was and there never will be. That's what made me bulletproof from day one, and it's what will preserve my legacy long after I'm gone. Criticizing me is like banging your head against a brick wall. If I'm a talentless loser and you're utterly incapable of doing what I do... what does that make you? You see, the more you criticize me the more you criticize yourselves!

It seems I can't criticize him, so I'll just let this quote speak for itself. Go ahead and follow the link above for the context of this quote, it's just as juicy.

<looks at Tarn Adams and Dwarf Fortress>

<looks at Tarn Adams making a decent living off of donations from, primarily, one game>

<laughs hysterically at this other guy>

Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 01:50:32 PM »

For what it's worth, the "16th December 2007" entry titled "The Iceman Thaws" at that same link that I posted is way more reasonable.

Hahaha, it really sounds like he was confronted with the concept of other indie games for the very first time there.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 02:38:27 PM »

I too am sick of MDickie. He may have been very ambitious and done a lot of work and yada yada but that doesn't change the fact that his games are all completely broken. The only reason people play them is to laugh at how bad they are. All his talk about 'advancing the industry' is pure hyperbole. It's not even like he tried to make something innovative and failed. Hard Time isn't some grand revolutionary idea - it's GTA in jail. If it weren't so hilariously awful, nobody would have given it a second thought.

dessgeega
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 04:54:37 PM »

Bob is more like MDickie, since MDickie has been doing the whole "I am the greatest game developer ever, pale before me" routine for years.  Bob just added aliens.

and mdickie actually made games, let people play them, and (one hopes) got better at his craft over the course of multiple projects. i've never actually played one of his games. he's delusional, yes, but i do like his spirit: he actually does make games, and they're fairly personal. creation is more interesting than execution. bob hasn't created anything, and if he has he might as well not have, because no one's played it.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 05:06:32 PM »

Dessgeega's words ring true! MDickie has distinguished himself by deciding to distribute his games instead of sitting on his throne perusing them. I'm still not that big a fan of megalomania in video gaming, though. Shrug
aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 07:04:31 PM »

He's what happens when you bottle shitloads of ambition, complete isolation, wrestling, solipsistic masturbation and really poor taste.

Glad to hear his book is mostly about his ambition though, I'm sure it will be inspirational if you can cut through the massive ego.

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 07:21:21 PM »

Actually, minus the huge ego, I think he nearly personifies "indie."
First off, he's leagues better than Bob.
You know why?
He actually makes games. And he doesn't give a shit about what you think.
Sure, they didn't look the greatest, and sure they weren't the greatest.
He churned out a hell of a lot of games for those few years. They were pretty varied in gameplay, too. They're full polygonal 3D, which, in my opinion, too many indie developers are afraid to do. The fact that he made them so early on in the indie scene makes it even more impressive.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 08:11:41 PM »

Yeah, that's basically my option of him too: he may be self-absorbed, but he at least has more to show for it than most people who make fun of his self-absorption. And perhaps he's even doing it self-consciously, as a style, and is secretly humble and decent inside. Regardless, I think he's an important figure in indie games, whether you like him or dislike him.

Matthew
Rapture
Administrator
Level 3

Milling About

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 10:49:58 PM »

Ordered!

Delivery estimate: February 2, 2009 - February 3, 2009
   1    "Inspiration For The Interactive Generation"
Mat Dickie; Paperback; $14.99

I'm mesmerized by MDickie because I can never tell if he's joking or if he's serious.  He seems completely serious when he talks about "media attention that most mainstream studios can only dream of", but he rarely appears on any sort of media I pay attention to.  Am I out of touch, or is he?  The fact that I cannot absolutely be certain which is what's so compelling.  There's always a nagging, Fuck--what if he's right?

If he is serious, it's a fascinating case study of how the Internet is large enough to create a bubble around an entire life.  That's pretty awesome in and of itself.  It's been played out in other fields--and I guess it's also happening with Bob's game--but MDickie was certainly the first.

Matthew Wegner
Currently: Aztez
Founder, Flashbang Studios
Partner, Indie Fund
Editor, Fun-Motion
Co-Chair, IGF
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic