Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412053 Posts in 69447 Topics- by 58483 Members - Latest Member: Exye

June 22, 2024, 06:38:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesMDickie Publishes Book, Leaves Game Design
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: MDickie Publishes Book, Leaves Game Design  (Read 37757 times)
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2009, 11:01:29 PM »

Glad to hear his book is mostly about his ambition though, I'm sure it will be inspirational if you can cut through the massive ego.

I dunno, if it is majorly about his ambition it might be worth a read, but if the first few lines basically say "In my early childhood I discovered that I have talents beyond that of a normal child and abandoned all social contacts in attempt to pursue these talents" then I don't think I really could bear the rest of the book. Whether it's actually true or not (I'll leave that completely open) I just don't like that way of thinking.

I personally think that people like Derek, Alec or Konjak are the important figures of indie gaming, but I think I'm really just another "generation" of indie gamer, seeing that I've been into the whole thing for maybe a year and really only heard twice of this guy :D
(I'm not saying he is not important, I've just not been exposed enough to him)

Also, lastly, I don't think Bob and MDickie are EXACTLY the same. They're just really similar in terms of ego and ambition. They just have really different ways to....use that ambition. One is mainly using his ambition to market himself and the other is using it to make mediocre games and scoff a the rest of the game making community.

So, please don't try to get into an argument about MDickie is the messiah of indie gaming or not. He may very well be, he just isn't for me Beer!
dessgeega
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2009, 12:06:17 AM »

is mdickie "scoffing at" the rest of the game making community?

and which game making community, for that matter? there isn't just one homogenous group of people making games. the impression i've always gotten of mdickie, and this is largely why he's such an interesting study, is that he's isolated himself completely from any sort of community.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2009, 06:42:28 AM »

Derek, Alec and Konjak are important to this specific subset of the indie games community, yes. But fame is relative, on the indiegamer.com messageboards almost nobody has heard of those people. Everyone like to think of tigsource as like the hub of indie games, but it's really not, it's more disperse than that.

Speaking of which, who the heck is "bob"? I've never heard of the guy.

aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2009, 07:01:15 AM »

Speaking of which, who the heck is "bob"? I've never heard of the guy.

http://www.bobsgame.com/

Glad to hear his book is mostly about his ambition though, I'm sure it will be inspirational if you can cut through the massive ego.

I dunno, if it is majorly about his ambition it might be worth a read, but if the first few lines basically say "In my early childhood I discovered that I have talents beyond that of a normal child and abandoned all social contacts in attempt to pursue these talents" then I don't think I really could bear the rest of the book. Whether it's actually true or not (I'll leave that completely open) I just don't like that way of thinking.

Yea I hear ya. To be clear though, I do think he's a badass for doing all that, and I think it'll make for an interesting read if not for simply partaking in the wonder of entering into someone with that kind of mindset.

But he's got a huge ego, there are plenty of people on Earth with this kind of ambition, or at least something close to it (perhaps not so uncompromising), but he's just loud enough to get press for it. To muse that you're the only person in the world, or to ever exist, that has undertaken a task of a similar breadth is an absolute absurdity. Go to fucking tibet dude, just as much discipline there, if not more.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2009, 07:09:16 AM »

I just skipped through all the incomprehensible text on that page and went to the video at the bottom -- my impression is that, for a supposedly deep story-based RPG without battles, he spends precious little time actually getting into the story or interaction or dialogue, and instead spends all the time talking about running speed and camera movement and pixel art and how when the character turns it looks smooth. It's funny to see such a focus on its technological achievements and such neglect of what people actually would play the game for when it's a 2D indie game. Of course, it's easy to get wrapped up in that sort of stuff as a game developer, but still.

Fuzz
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2009, 07:58:20 AM »

I just skipped through all the incomprehensible text on that page and went to the video at the bottom -- my impression is that, for a supposedly deep story-based RPG without battles, he spends precious little time actually getting into the story or interaction or dialogue, and instead spends all the time talking about running speed and camera movement and pixel art and how when the character turns it looks smooth. It's funny to see such a focus on its technological achievements and such neglect of what people actually would play the game for when it's a 2D indie game. Of course, it's easy to get wrapped up in that sort of stuff as a game developer, but still.

It seems as if "Bob's Game" which he has said nobody has seen other than himself, is actually the game he is playing with you by making you think he is making a game. After all, locking himself in his room? Abducted by aliens? He has also said that HE is the final boss, which in reality is true.
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2009, 09:20:05 AM »

Oh well, I guess I could've just written "I hate MDickie", would've gotten me the same answers and saved me some time.
eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2009, 09:57:20 AM »

I'm not the only one who finds the book cover a bit creepy, right?

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2009, 11:47:35 AM »

i have no idea who this guy is.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2009, 12:08:53 PM »

His history / timeline / etc.:

http://mdickie.com/history.htm

Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2009, 06:44:41 PM »

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering..."
- Bruce Lee

I sense some ego in this dude. Just a little bit.

KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2009, 07:35:32 PM »

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering..."
- Bruce Lee

I sense some ego in this dude. Just a little bit.
What he said is true though. The closest to immortality is to be remembered for all eternity. In such ways Eistein, Lincon and maybe even Lee has gained immortality.

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
Shaun
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2009, 07:59:20 PM »

This is kinda weird. I first got into indie games because of MDickie's stuff, but then started losing interest when he went into 3d. His work was so appealing at first because they allowed you to do things that you would never be able to do in the mainstream alternatives, like throwing you're opponent into a pile of glass and explosives and then shooting them. Otherwise I found his games to be nearly unplayable.   
Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2009, 08:44:07 PM »

Nobody will be remembered for all eternity. Not Bruce Lee, not even MDickie.

Currently in development: Cletus Clay
Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2009, 03:45:49 AM »

And perhaps he's even doing it self-consciously, as a style, and is secretly humble and decent inside.

Did anyone else read this and think: That's it! WTF

Come on, read the stuff you're quoting in this thread.  Nobody is that hyperbolic for real.

Right?   Undecided

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2009, 07:26:56 AM »

Megalomania does not always make that much sense.
PGGB
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2009, 07:58:48 AM »

Nobody will be remembered for all eternity. Not Bruce Lee and definitely not MDickie.
/fixed
KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2009, 08:32:11 AM »

Why do you say that? Jeet Kun Do is a great martial and anyone who learns it enough will learn about its creator Bruce Lee. MDickie on the other hand, no.

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2009, 08:34:40 AM »

Why do you say that? Jeet Kun Do is a great martial and anyone who learns it enough will learn about its creator Bruce Lee. MDickie on the other hand, no.
Entropy is always increasing. Therefore, all existence (and memories of existence) shall eventually cease to be.
Seth
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2009, 10:49:22 AM »

Jesus why does everyone always have to be so literal  Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic