Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 01:42:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)BEST resource for learning C++ or Python?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: BEST resource for learning C++ or Python?  (Read 2294 times)
B-Ren
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 25, 2009, 03:23:41 AM »

What the BEST resource for someone just starting out learning programing? Books, websites, whatever.
Gravious
Level 2

"Swedish meatballs"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 06:16:04 AM »

Depends what you're looking to do..  I'm assuming you mean to make games seeing as you're here.

What kind of experience do you have with programming in any language?

Without blowing my own trumpet, i wrote a few articles on my experiences doing the same thing, it may be useful to you..

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=536.0

There's also a tutorial section on these forums, you may find something helpful there Smiley

One day I'll think about doing something to stop procrastinating.
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 01:54:34 PM »

The tutorial that comes with Python's documentation is pretty solid if you already know other languages. "Dive Into Python" is also oriented towards the "yeah I know what a for loop does" crowd.

B-Ren
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 05:42:08 PM »

I'm looking more for books and such. We're talking complete programming newb here. I had a little experience in hypercard (lol) and made a point and click game, and know some HTML (not programing, I know, just worth mentioning), enough to make a passable website if I brush up a bit.

Those are very interesting articles Gravious, perhaps a bit sobering, but very interesting none the less. Could very well save me many headaches in the future.
undertech
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 12:58:36 AM »

Find a mentor and become his apprentice. Wizard
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 04:35:18 AM »

I think it's very hard to learn from a single source. What I did was to learn the basics from somewhere, then relearn them from somewhere else and again and again until I was confident I understood it all, then just start coding whatever and research or ask when I got stuck.

In my opinion, you should start with Python. It's much easier than C++ and will give you a good programming base. The official tutorial is excellent to begin with; once you're done with that, try taking a look at Dive Into Python and Beginning Game Development with Python and Pygame.

When you get bored of Python, cplusplus.com and Cprogramming.com are good starting points for C++. For game-making, I'm using Allegro, the basics of which I learned from C++ Game Programming and some of Stephen's games. From there on you can just use the official Allegro manual for reference, it is great. The examples that come with Allegro are also useful.

Good luck! Hope you stick around and show us some of the games you're going to make.

DISCLAIMER: I can't really program for shit and am talking out of my ass (kind of).
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 09:06:02 AM »

Cymon's Games.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 10:41:40 AM »

Find a mentor and become his apprentice. Wizard

People don't entertain this option enough, it's quite sad.

As you can tell, I've been reading too many Paul Graham essays.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic