Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 04:12:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMystic Space- a space fantasy game demo (Pictures).
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Mystic Space- a space fantasy game demo (Pictures).  (Read 6574 times)
Rskennan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 26, 2009, 07:35:44 AM »

Hello everyone, first post. Sorry if this post seems rushed, but I just pulled an all-nighter and am about to crash.

A fellow poster on a gaming board I frequent told me that I should check out this site. I thought I'd introduce myself with a post about my project. The art isn't as great as some of the stuff I've seen around here, but I just started learning 3d a few weeks back for this project. The important thing to me is that I'm doing as much as I can alone.

Like I said, I'm learning 3d for this project, but I'm also learning every other aspect of video game design from scratch as well. I've done pen and paper game design, and written a few books, so I think it's doable.

About the demo: It's called "Mystic Space" for now. Space itself is pretty much like it would be in a science fiction game, but the spaceships are powered by magic, and there are things like space temples and planets filled with magical creatures. Each world represents a different flavor of fantasy.

The demo itself will combine 3d twitch space combat with a land-based mission, all wrapped up with traditional (pen and paper-styled) RPG elements.

In the demo scenario, there are two playable cultures representing two sides of a conflict. The first culture is a Pseudo-Victorian Steampunk culture whose magic takes the form of mad science. This is the ship that will represent them:

It's kind of Jules Verne, I hope. It's a tough little rocket ship with things like a shrink ray, Tesla coil-styled bombs, and a teleport beacon that allows the ship to teleport to wherever the player hides it. It's a lot like a space tank. Its default weapon is a gattling gun that fires gears.

The other ship is from a Golden Age culture based on Ancient Greece, Rome, and the myth of Atlantis. The larger planet continues the theme of a Golden age, but with different ancient empires. But that doesn't much matter for the purposes of the demo, it's just background at this stage. Here's the ship:

It's called the "Astral Talon" and it's powered by the living spirit of an eagle. The purple crystals are for thrust, The red ones on the wings are for its eldritch bolt attack. The opalescent sphere in the large talon on the end of the fuselage is the cockpit. I'll be modeling the interior (Greco-Roman pillars, etc) later. Its abilities include the power to go insubstantial and invisible for a short time, incredible speed and maneuverability, and an attack where the animating eagle spirit can leave the ship to deal a lot of damage to a foe while leaving the Talon unresponsive.

I haven't covered every little trick the ships will have at hand, but these should give you guys a good idea.

Here's Deandra, the pilot of the Astral Talon:

I'm still working on her outfit and weapons. After her, I'll model the pilot of the other ship. He's going to be a rakish Victorian gentleman- top hat and all (coincidentally, aren't top hats a meme around here?).

The two cultures are fighting over these creatures:

Yes. Space Whales. My son calls them "Whaliens", and I'm calling them Tanin.

The steampunk culture hunts them, and the golden age culture reveres them. The scenario isn't quite that black and white, of course.

That's the hook. There's more that will bring it to the land-based mission, but that's the gist, and probably good enough for a first post.  There's more detail on my blog at: http://counterpointgames.blogspot.com/,
but I'll be back to this thread thoughout the development process.

Thanks for reading!
Rskennan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 07:39:12 AM »

I forgot to mention that I won't be doing the game engine myself- I'll be using the Unity Game Engine.
Lynx
Level 5

Upstart Feline Miscreant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 07:46:16 AM »

Sounds like you have a rich visual style in mind.  Hope it works out well!

Currently developing dot sneak - a minimalist stealth game
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 07:57:29 AM »

Being a space game fanatic, it's nice to see someone go off the deep end and make something that's really strange.

If it results in "Whaliens", I don't care what it is, it's a good idea.

Rskennan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 08:13:58 AM »

Thanks guys. I really think I've hit on something cool, as long as I don't screw it up. Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic