Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 08:49:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsPolar opposites
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Polar opposites  (Read 6015 times)
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« on: April 10, 2009, 12:47:55 PM »

Now I realize this is more than somewhat subjective. I just ran through almost all of the entries and it seems to me, tho I haven't charted this, that there are some entries that if I were asked to pick the "best" I'd have a hard time choosing between, several that if I were asked to pick the "worst" that I'd have a hard time choosing between, and not a lot in between. The "best" category is filled with games that no amateur would ever be able to duplicate, some of which seemed in production before the contest.

I don't know if there's a point to this, but I just thought I'd bring it up.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 07:21:38 PM »

Are you jealous of people being good at working with 3D? Hmm?

I think that this is the most technically accomplished compo I've seen so far. Still, I haven't played that many entries yet.

Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 10:51:57 AM »

I'd say that some games were done in existing frameworks, and that there is nothing wrong with this. Had I had time to participate I would have made my entry in my own already existing one. If you want to make a complicated game, especially for 3D, in a short time you basically have to have an pre-existing system. And when I make my personal judgements of entries I always take the point of origin into consideration, which I think is fair.

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 11:13:04 AM »

Right, if we had to do everything from scratch for every compo I don't think we'd get much done.  It's really no different than using Game Maker, etc. for your entry in terms of the amount of time you save by having some framework/engine/codebase in place.

Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 01:48:38 PM »

I don't really think any of this truly matters in a competition where nobody really wins. Or rather, where nobody really loses.

All games made get some attention here, the good ones just more than others.

I'm personally never really voting what game impressed me the most technologically or which game was the most polished one, but which game I ended up enjoying the most in the end.

So, all of those cutting edge 3D things may be really nice and all, but the real winner may end up to be more simple game, simply because I'm having more fun with it.
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 12:50:40 PM »

Are you jealous of people being good at working with 3D? Hmm?
Maaaybe.

Na, I was stating an observation. Quite frankly I'm thrilled at what came out of this compo.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 09:47:11 PM »

I usually don't play many until voting is over and don't vote myself...yeah, that's me contributing to the community for you... Embarrassed

But anyway, I did play that one by 0rel, and I loved the graphical style.  The gameplay was pretty fun, but I think he needed to tweak it a bit, because if you were just trying to finish the level, that was usually quite easy.  I ended up just destroying all the enemies before winning the level to outweigh this.
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 10:38:00 AM »

The fact that we can use pre-existing engines is one of the reasons I'm particularly interested in TIG compos. It's also particularly important because, as said before, many people are already starting with a pre-existing engine in the form of Game Maker or MMF or Construct or what-have-you.

Where I 'come from', pyweek, any pre-existing code you use needs to be a library that was made publically available one month before the compo begins or sooner. It makes you good at re-engineering stuff over and over again, but it limits the scope of your game quite a bit when you know you are spending 50-80% of the week writing and testing code you've already "finished" in other games.

As for the original topic, there are always going to be different levels of quality in compo entries, which are greatly influenced by experience, spare time, scope of the entry / ease of execution, and such.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic