Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411803 Posts in 69416 Topics- by 58462 Members - Latest Member: Moko1910

May 28, 2024, 07:34:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!
Pages: 1 ... 546 547 [548] 549 550 ... 1393
Print
Author Topic: Fight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!  (Read 2335916 times)
st33d
« Reply #10940 on: April 23, 2012, 06:30:44 AM »

Are they just scraping latest posts from TIGSource?
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10941 on: April 23, 2012, 06:32:57 AM »

It looks like that. I would understand if they were scraping the frontpage. But the forums? Strange..

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10942 on: April 23, 2012, 07:03:03 AM »

$50/month for a subscription to Adobe software use? It gives access to most of their stuff. It's a tad expensive for just a few products.
Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10943 on: April 23, 2012, 07:08:27 AM »

That's right, my last name is Boe.
I'm related to the oldest being in the Isop galaxy.
Can't you see the resemblance?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 08:35:57 AM by Bones » Logged

Sit down and relax,
Keeping focus on your breath,
This may take a while.

Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10944 on: April 23, 2012, 07:23:24 AM »

-Snip: Face of Boe.-

I've seen Doctor Who and all, but that's still scary.
Nix
« Reply #10945 on: April 23, 2012, 11:45:49 AM »

Hurray! I was accepted into GSoC 2012! I'll be working on GIMP.
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10946 on: April 23, 2012, 12:13:32 PM »

sweeeeeeeet
 Hand Shake LeftMy Word!Hand Shake Right

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10947 on: April 23, 2012, 01:16:26 PM »

Also, "being feasible in practice", do the results not speak for themselves?

I mostly meant that I do not immediately believe that the Valve offices are the egalitarian classless worker's paradise they portray themselves as, but if you're going to bang on results I don't think many people will say Valve's track record is exactly unimpeachable.
TheLastBanana
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10948 on: April 23, 2012, 05:00:23 PM »

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/04/21/valve-employee-handbook-leaked-read-it-here/  

Anyone have a thought or two about this?  I'd heard that Valve employees basically don't have job titles, and similar, but part of me can't decide if that approaches being feasible in practice, and how much of this is just Valve cultivating a mystique about themselves.
Well, having looked through the handbook, they admit to a few issues with the system. One of the obvious ones is "Valve time" -- I'd imagine it's quite difficult to make estimates when you have such a huge group of people with no defined place. Another is that they intend to keep growing, and it becomes increasingly hard to keep track of employees when you have several hundred people reporting to nobody but themselves.
From interviews I've seen with Valve employees, and from some of the developer commentary, I get the feeling the company does actually work that way. I'm sure it breaks down from time to time (or maybe often?), but so far, it seems like they're at least running things very differently than other companies. As they grow, though, it wouldn't surprise me if it broke down a bit. I certainly hope not; it seems like an interesting place to work, if nothing else.
Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10949 on: April 23, 2012, 05:40:14 PM »

I certainly hope not; it seems like an interesting place to work, if nothing else.
On that note, I did notice this kinda-recent comment re working at Valve: "I have not had a meal with a Valve employee in years that doesn't involve them complaining about Valve the ENTIRE TIME. #HowTheSausageIsMade"
- https://twitter.com/#!/jeffatrad/status/184852971903922178 (a games industry person in seattle area)

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
TheLastBanana
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10950 on: April 23, 2012, 06:03:11 PM »

I recall Valve's site used to say that they have a 98% employee retention rate, but I can't seem to find that particular statistic on the site anymore. Makes me wonder if the rate has gone down (and if so, how much). Still, it can't be that low, as I recall having seen that statistic on their site sometime in the last few months. There has to be some reason people stay. High pay rates, maybe?
BoxedLunch
« Reply #10951 on: April 23, 2012, 06:47:22 PM »

why?
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10952 on: April 23, 2012, 06:48:56 PM »

They stay on board in futile hopes of getting to be the first to play Half Life Episode 3.

I wonder what sorts of complaints that guy is hearing? There's a difference between an employee complaining that management doesn't pay them enough, an employee complaining that they hate their co-workers (but the job is great) and an employee who just thinks the company isn't trying hard enough to get into this next big thing. They all suck, but they're different sorts of problems.

Or, you know, you only eat lunch with guys who work the mail room. That'll always do it.
Nix
« Reply #10953 on: April 23, 2012, 06:55:27 PM »

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/04/21/valve-employee-handbook-leaked-read-it-here/  

Anyone have a thought or two about this?  I'd heard that Valve employees basically don't have job titles, and similar, but part of me can't decide if that approaches being feasible in practice, and how much of this is just Valve cultivating a mystique about themselves.
Well, having looked through the handbook, they admit to a few issues with the system. One of the obvious ones is "Valve time" -- I'd imagine it's quite difficult to make estimates when you have such a huge group of people with no defined place. Another is that they intend to keep growing, and it becomes increasingly hard to keep track of employees when you have several hundred people reporting to nobody but themselves.
From interviews I've seen with Valve employees, and from some of the developer commentary, I get the feeling the company does actually work that way. I'm sure it breaks down from time to time (or maybe often?), but so far, it seems like they're at least running things very differently than other companies. As they grow, though, it wouldn't surprise me if it broke down a bit. I certainly hope not; it seems like an interesting place to work, if nothing else.

They are also very, very selective about who they hire and I'm sure they put a lot of thought into whether a potential employee will work well under such an open system.
Theophilus
« Reply #10954 on: April 23, 2012, 06:59:31 PM »

Having a very stressful day. How do you guys deal with stress?
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10955 on: April 23, 2012, 07:17:08 PM »

why?

THERE BETTER BE SOME HARSH PUNISHMENT FOR THIS.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #10956 on: April 23, 2012, 07:20:14 PM »

I settle with some of my favorite music. I only have upbeat and happy music -- if I'm in a bad mood, it cheers me up, and if I'm in a good mood, why bother undermining it with depression?

I also curl up with a good book, to while away the time and let my stresses fade; or I take a walk; or I do all three at once.
Nix
« Reply #10957 on: April 23, 2012, 07:28:59 PM »

I settle with some of my favorite music. I only have upbeat and happy music -- if I'm in a bad mood, it cheers me up, and if I'm in a good mood, why bother undermining it with depression?

I also curl up with a good book, to while away the time and let my stresses fade; or I take a walk; or I do all three at once.

I get brain overload pretty often and it causes me a fair bit of stress. When it happens I force myself to just sit down and watch TV and think about absolutely nothing. Popcorn helps.
Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10958 on: April 23, 2012, 07:31:41 PM »

They stay on board in futile hopes of getting to be the first to play Half Life Episode 3.

I wonder what sorts of complaints that guy is hearing? There's a difference between an employee complaining that management doesn't pay them enough, an employee complaining that they hate their co-workers (but the job is great) and an employee who just thinks the company isn't trying hard enough to get into this next big thing. They all suck, but they're different sorts of problems.

Or, you know, you only eat lunch with guys who work the mail room. That'll always do it.
Yes, that's a good question.  I dunno.  It's probably not that bad on an absolute scale -- I see Jon Blow replied: "@jeffatrad Yet everyone still works there. So it may be an Absolute vs. Relative kind of situation. Like, they can always go to MGS..." (https://twitter.com/#!/Jonathan_Blow/status/185163100092239872)

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
ink.inc
« Reply #10959 on: April 23, 2012, 07:33:06 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 546 547 [548] 549 550 ... 1393
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic