Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411516 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 10:15:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallAeron - Air Combat Maneuver Simulator
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Aeron - Air Combat Maneuver Simulator  (Read 5479 times)
HyperNewbie
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2009, 11:20:11 PM »

Hi! I've advertised this in other forums before so I'll just quote myself here:

I'm here to advertise my newly finished and released open-source jet combat flight simulator, Aeron.

It focuses dead straight on Air Combat Maneuvering (specifically Basic Fighter Maneuvering) skills, with simple minimalistic graphics, simple controls and little to no avionics.

It has joystick input, network multiplayer, advanced AI,realistic dynamics, and even records replays to TacView ACMI format so you can review your skills and tactics or your mistakes.

If this is the first time you've flown a simulator, I recommend learning the basics of flying first before attempting to go in and not get killed, let alone try to gun stuff down. If you've flown a flight simulator before but never have flown a combat one, I recommend getting some books / videos ("Art Of the Kill" video), you will find Aeron easy to pick up and try your newly learnt tactics. (No, Ace Combat and HAWX are 3D arcade space invader clones, NOT combat flight simulators).  If you've flown BFM before, you will find Aeron right at home, and with AI challenging enough to pick a real good fight.

Link to website & download:
http://aeron.sourceforge.net/

Youtube trailer:

Demo TacView format ACMI:
Me versing my brother (who is a beginner :D)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=L7O8X802
Replays need you to install a free program called TacView - http://lomac.strasoftware.com/tacview-en.php

Screenshots:

Thanks,
HyperNewbie
Frog
Level 1

Eternal Being

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 11:56:28 PM »

That looks pretty cool but this post probably belongs in feedback.
HyperNewbie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 02:08:17 AM »

That looks pretty cool but this post probably belongs in feedback.

Thanks.

Oh, whats the difference between announcing your finished game and posting it for feedback? Announcing means I don't want any feedback? Tongue (any mods, feel free to throw this thread over to feedback if it belongs there)
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 02:11:32 AM »

Hand Metal Right Hand Metal Right Hand Metal Right Hand Metal Right Hand Metal Right Hand Metal Right Hand Metal Right Hand Metal Right Hand Metal Right yes yes and yes!  keep doing this!  Hand Metal Right Hand Metal Right Hand Metal Right Hand Metal Right Hand Metal Right Hand Metal Right Hand Metal Right Hand Metal Right Hand Metal Right Hand Metal Right Hand Metal Right Hand Metal Right

ive been dying to see some good simple dog fighting action for ages!
Strom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 02:30:42 AM »

like ace combat, but with not as good jet models.

See my Assemblee 2009 2D and 3D work Here. My A Game By Its Cover compo entry Journal of Shikoku.
HyperNewbie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 09:58:19 AM »

like ace combat, but with not as good jet models.

Lol, not like Ace Combat. You can't BFM in ace combat, you simply turn, and shoot. You cannot BFM in ace combat, since the non-working physics just simply don't work when you apply BFM theory to them.

Thanks for the interest, guys!
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 10:08:47 AM »

I just had my own crack at a serious-ish flight simulator for the cockpit competition: Venus Patrol. I didn't manage to finish it.

I like the ribbons and the feeling of the earth and sky revolving around you. But it's tough to control with keys; you have to keep tapping the down key to stop the nose dropping, and you have to press 3 to know what you have padlocked. Did you experiment with mouse control? That was one of the things I wanted to do in my game, and I think it came out okay. I love the cockpit sounds.

Is there any way to change the colour of the HUD, so that it's easier to see against the horizon? And what kind of flight model are you guys using? I see you've got data on roll rates for the different aircraft; is that directly built into the model, or does it come out of the physics?

HyperNewbie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 02:32:25 PM »

I just had my own crack at a serious-ish flight simulator for the cockpit competition: Venus Patrol. I didn't manage to finish it.

I like the ribbons and the feeling of the earth and sky revolving around you. But it's tough to control with keys; you have to keep tapping the down key to stop the nose dropping, and you have to press 3 to know what you have padlocked. Did you experiment with mouse control? That was one of the things I wanted to do in my game, and I think it came out okay. I love the cockpit sounds.

Is there any way to change the colour of the HUD, so that it's easier to see against the horizon? And what kind of flight model are you guys using? I see you've got data on roll rates for the different aircraft; is that directly built into the model, or does it come out of the physics?

Thanks for your feedback,

And yes, the text is one of the downsides of using blended texture openGL text, against bright backgrounds it's harder to see. However, this is actually realistic, as a real HUD is just cullimated laser, and sometimes is harder to see against bright areas than against dark.

Yes, it is a bit hard to fly with the keyboard, and the flight dynamics aren't 500% perfect at all. The pitching and rolling physics relies quite heavily on accurate graphs, so each plane's roll and pitch speed is actually very accurate. Thrust is most accurate for F-16, also graphed from H-F-F-M manual. The other planes thrust are estimated off the F-16 thrust graph. Lift and Drag coefficients are estimated using simple estimation theories and calculated, without graphing.

So to answer your question short, roll/pitch rate is directly built into model, as making those come out of physics is to say the least, very difficult.

I've tried using mouse on flight simulators back when I didn't have a flightstick, in fact my first proper introduction to flight simulators was using a virtual joystick that gets input from a mouse Tongue. I personally quickly found keyboard controls work much better than mouse. Yes you have to tap here and there, but it's very hard to balance the need for quick, hard max G pulls with the need for minor adjustments (while landing, CCIP bombing.etc). On a keyboard, you can simply hold for high G stuff, tap for minor adjustments while landing.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 02:41:43 PM by HyperNewbie » Logged
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 05:12:00 AM »

I think a lot of flight simulators of yore got it wrong with mouse controls. You should be able to max out your pitch or roll without having to pick up the mouse. Aircraft from the Battlefield series are pretty easy to fly as a result of this and perhaps something else.

Thinking about this a bit more, it seems they tend to track relative mouse movement instead of absolute position, which is why making a hard turn requires you to pick up your mouse and repeatedly hold back. Absolute position works a whole lot better, just pull the mouse down and it keeps going. I have to agree that keyboard controls, while workable, are very clunky.

I'm going to check this out during lunch. Thankfully, I've got a joystick at work!

edit: Oh, it would be awesome if you included airplanes from before the modern era, such as WW2 propeller fighters. Then, not only could you have WW2-style close-range gun dogfights, but you could have ridiculous F-4 vs. P-51 dogfights like you can have in Chuck Yaeger's Air Combat.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 09:08:58 AM by nihilocrat » Logged

HyperNewbie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 04:02:23 PM »

Or Raptors v.s. Spitfires: who will win? :D

Yeh, I've had thoughts of including in other insane eras for the lulz, but I will need accurate pitch and roll graphs in deg/second over m/s at sea level graphs..which isn't exactly trivial to find a reliable source for Tongue
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 02:40:57 PM »

Wow, this sounds pretty amazing.  My flying experience is limited to a little Chuck Yeager's Air Combat and TIE Fighter (oh, and maybe Top Gun for the NES Corny Laugh), so I am probably going to suck hard at this... but I'll definitely try it out!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic