Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411521 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 04:59:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Advice on 100x100 building tiles...
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Advice on 100x100 building tiles...  (Read 1963 times)
Doompuppet
« on: June 16, 2009, 07:54:17 PM »

I've been running a browser-based fantasy game for a few years now - initially with basic squares for the map view.

Time and again I've bashed my head against the wall when it comes to updating said map view with delicious pixel art.

I can't seem to find a way to work within the 100 x 100 pixel square and still produce a compelling, or at least non-sucky building.

The key rules are:

1.) Structure cannot violate image border.
2.) Size ratio must accomidate towers.
3.) Structure must be generic enough that it's not unnatural to see 500 of the same building with different names.

Observe.

BLEH. Angry

So does anyone have some insight, advice, examples on how to flourish here?
letsap
Level 5

Have faith...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 10:11:38 PM »

I think some richer colors might go a long way, other than that think of the utility of a building. In that one you can't really tell what it is, and the perspective of the sign seems lost. The thing that gives me the most trouble is the colorscheme to be honest, though.

yesfish
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 11:29:48 PM »

If you use transparent gif images (or png, but gif is better compatibility) then you can overlap transparent tiles and have a layer for the tower height extensions.

The sprite itself needs more contrast tho.
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 04:29:24 PM »

I agree with the others, my non-expert opinion says that you can get a nice building almost entirely just from choosing different colors.

Pietepiet
Pixelhead
Level 9

hello <3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 11:54:54 PM »

Why are you working within 100x100 though? Why not make 16x16 or 32x32 tiles so you can build houses from that? That'll also allow you to make small houses, large houses, houses with different roofs but the same overall structure, etc. much easier.
deetus
Level 0

NN-TS NN-TS

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 04:55:35 PM »

Dude, I LURVE the house. However, couldya move the sign up a few pixel and make the posts a bit thinner? Sorry to nitpick on an extremely small level!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic