Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 07:54:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBoxed In
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Boxed In  (Read 3288 times)
Danrul
Level 4

View Profile
« on: July 13, 2009, 08:50:58 AM »

Whilst I considered just making this an Art thread, I figured posting a Devlog would make it more likely for me to actually do something on the game side of things.

My ORIGINAL, NOT CURRENT, ORIGINAL idea was Left 4 Dead as an MMO, and even then I knew I couldn't do it.  I just liked the idea and decided to have fun making graphics for it.  That isn't the case now.  Right now my goal is to make a game capturing the frantic survival aspect of L4D whilst making it available for people on older machines, or without money to spend.

Now I can't code for peanuts.  The fact of the matter is I'll most likely be able to churn out is a movement demo with no AI.  Maybe a benchmarking tool so I can see how many zombies can be run at once in a given environment.  The main purpose of this devlog is to attract some help, or attract some motivation to finish.

The zombie variations seen below would ideally be randomised and layered, meaning you could have the mouth and nose tearing with a head gash and some skull showing, or any other assorted combinations.

Anyway, enough talk.  Heres some zombies for you.

http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv227/Cosmic_Daniel/Digital%20Art/Sketchup/ZombieLineup.png
This one is linked because it contains several zombie designs, and as such is a screen stretcher.
Ignore the noseless zombie if you will. He is dead, and has been replaced by:

Just some assorted battle damage.

A hardcore face wound.

The last variation.  He'll have different AI as a side effect of not being able to see.  I'm thinking of giving him a helmet so he has to be shot through the eye sockets.

BOSS ZOMBIES

Now, as we all now what breaks up the gameplay in L4D; The special Infected.  I have a couple of my own designs on the boil, but for now I have 3 solid ideas, one of which is modelled out in a satisfactory manner.

Handsy Harry:

This zombie can pick up its allies and throw them at you, regardless of whether that ally is alive or dead.  However, they can also travel in packs, surrounding a player in a circle for some delicious Noms.  I have 2 ideas for breaking out of the circle; shooting a zombie in the wrist once or killing the darkest zombie (see below).

Lumpy Larry:

This lethargic lump of lard is the largest enemy, however, this gives him the largest stomach and appetite.  Essentially a fat zombie being carried by plenty of other zombies, he has a long tongue (please don't judge me, I can't give the cubes arms) that pulls you into his belly.  The best strategies for killing him are either to throw a nade into his mouth, or to stop his movement by destroying the zombies carrying him along.

Chinese Dragon:

If you've ever seen one of these at a fair, you know what to expect.  The zombies carrying it are protected for the most part, so you can either wait for it to breathe some fire to shoot the fuel tank, waste your ammo on killing links in the chain, or blow the damn thing up.  Its all up to you.

EDIT: Made a preliminary Model:

If you were interested enough to read this far, and you'd like to help with the art or programming side of things, that'd be excellent.  If not, you can suggest various enemy designs or Boss Zombies.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 02:42:00 PM by Cosmic Fool » Logged
Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 09:40:55 AM »

Haha awesome. I like this idea, I wanna see it completed! :D

Sadly, I can't contribute anything but ideas. Hm...

I like the Chinese Dragon one, that sounds really cool/awesome. Can't wait to see it. Gentleman
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 10:54:15 AM »

So, is it going to be an FPS? Top-down shooter? Something else?

If you make the terrain similarly blocky, it will be much easier to both do collision detection and pathing.

Danrul
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 11:05:11 AM »

The plan is for FPS.  Not stated explicitly above, but implied through the L4D connection.

The terrain itself is going to be blocky, city streets, tunnels, building interiors.  I'm planning to use the buildings as much as possible ie zombies flanking through alleys, jumping out of 2nd story windows, coming out of buildings etc.  I want to keep people on their toes as much as possible.

I have a chinese dragon model.  More could be done but I'm happy with this.
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv227/Cosmic_Daniel/Digital%20Art/Sketchup/ChineseDragon-Fire.png
IMAGE PLACED IN FIRST POST
The fuel tank is mostly concealed as it is placed in the other side of the mouth. 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 02:41:27 PM by Cosmic Fool » Logged
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 02:53:52 PM »

I like the dragon a lot! Smiley

twitter: @docky
Jesseyay
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 02:48:40 AM »

This art style is awesome. I hope you can find a coder because I Really want to play this game. Smiley
Oh hey I didn't realise it was you cosmic, guess I just have a thing for your art.
BadgerManufactureInc
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 05:35:11 AM »

The sprites/models are really funny and intelligently designed.

Would it be possible to have alpha effects on them / transparency?  What are you using to develop with?

It's looking really good so far.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 09:32:33 AM by Barnaby Byrne » Logged
Danrul
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 10:05:12 AM »

UPDATE:

Blind Barry
Taking the concept of the eyeless zombie up a notch, this eyeless zombie doesn't like to be disturbed.  Unfortunately for him and you, the only way for him to find said disturbances is to barrel towards you indiscriminately.  Shoot the bastard through the eye socket before he shoots straight through you. 

Additional Notes:  Whilst side alleys can be a quicky and easy way of retreating, Blind Barry loves to eat from the dumpsters.  The rest can be left to the imagination.

@Barnaby Byrne - I would know about alpha effects and transperancy once I knew about what Its being made in Wink.    Also, thanks.

@Jesseyay - I also hope I can find a coder because I wanna play this game. Interestingly, the 2 games I've posted on TIGS, have had a simplified art style for ease of production; the art style you've seen.  My usual drawing style is probably closer to failed realism Smiley.

@dock - Thanks.

EDIT:  Forgot to post this:
Just a bit of fun. 
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 10:36:18 AM by Cosmic Fool » Logged
Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 11:34:53 AM »

That mock-up is pretty awesome. Can't wait to play this if it ever gets there  Smiley
Good luck!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic