Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 06:46:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBoss Rush
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Author Topic: Boss Rush  (Read 38729 times)
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2009, 10:18:04 PM »

AND I drew a picture on my whiteboard of a dinosaur, who is also a ninja.
Want pics. Good quality preferred, but optional.
Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2009, 12:05:32 PM »

Ask and ye shall receive!

www.PaperDino.com

I just finished a game!: Save the Date
You should go play it right now.
Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2009, 05:20:45 PM »

...I want a white board to have a to-do list on it...  Cry

I can't wait for this game. UNICORN MODE WILL BE AWESOME! (and I played the game they're from. Awesome game.)

...You should totally have a unicorn boss. That would be awesome. :B
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2009, 04:44:41 PM »

BRONTOSAURUS DOES NOT DO WELL WITH NUNCHUCKS

Do you have an approximate release date?
Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2009, 04:16:19 PM »

I can't wait for this game. UNICORN MODE WILL BE AWESOME! (and I played the game they're from. Awesome game.)

Seriously, buying myself a cheap whiteboard and attaching it to my wall has been one of the better decisions I made early on, I think.  I love that thing!

Unicorn boss was considered, but far too late in the dev. process to try to add.

BRONTOSAURUS DOES NOT DO WELL WITH NUNCHUCKS

Do you have an approximate release date?

It's true.  Brontosauruses (Brontosauraii?) are well known for their lack of nunchuck prowess.

I'm hoping to be "done" this week.  Which really translates into "beta", since then it's time to try to do a large playtest, take a couple of days off to goof around, before coming in to finish up any bugs that shook out, etc.  Unclear when it will be open to the general public, (although probably some time in the next month) but I'm seriously considering trying to see if I can't extend the scope of the beta a bit beyond friends and family.  So who knows, you may get a chance to play a bit sooner than that... Smiley

-Montoli

www.PaperDino.com

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2009, 10:57:08 PM »

So who knows, you WILL get a chance to play a bit sooner than that... Smiley
Fix'd. Or else.
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2009, 01:28:51 AM »

Montoli, I hope you don't learn soul crushing lessons in rejection! This deserves a sponsor.

I would also like to reiterate my willingness to beta test. I solemnly swear not to distribute your .swf, you can have me sign all kinds of official sounding paperwork to that effect if you like.
Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2009, 03:12:35 AM »

So who knows, you WILL get a chance to play a bit sooner than that... Smiley
Fix'd. Or else.

Heh.  Noted.  I'll see what I can do.

Montoli, I hope you don't learn soul crushing lessons in rejection! This deserves a sponsor.

I would also like to reiterate my willingness to beta test. I solemnly swear not to distribute your .swf, you can have me sign all kinds of official sounding paperwork to that effect if you like.

Heh.  Yeah, I HOPE it's not a soul-crushing lesson in rejection, but at this point, it's just such a big unknown.  This is my first foray into the flash game marketplace, so I just have no experience to draw on or to help me set expectations.

re:playtesting -
I had not forgotten your offer!  Since you had shown interest, I was actually thinking about trying to take you up on it either way.  At this point I'm just trying to decide how I want to handle a larger scale beta test.  I DO think it is important that I get a few people to play it who aren't immediate friends or family, for a wider range of input.  At this point I'm just trying to decide what the best way to organize it is.  I'll probably figure something out by the end of this week, but one way or another, anyone who has interest will probably get to play the beta if they want to.

www.PaperDino.com

sandjack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2009, 07:53:01 AM »

Seriously, buying myself a cheap whiteboard and attaching it to my wall has been one of the better decisions I made early on, I think.  I love that thing!

We got two 4'x4' sheets of white panelling from Home Depot for like $14. We're still working on mounting them (having to get access to a power drill and a studfinder) but it's a heck of a lot cheaper than the commercial whiteboards.

Halsted M. Larsson
Final Form Games
Twitter: @halsted
Company Twitter: @FinalFormGames
Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2009, 05:09:50 PM »

We got two 4'x4' sheets of white panelling from Home Depot for like $14. We're still working on mounting them (having to get access to a power drill and a studfinder) but it's a heck of a lot cheaper than the commercial whiteboards.

Nice!  You're a bit more DIY than I was feeling.  I just bought the one pictured for $30 at Staples, and stuck it to the wall.  (Although as I recall, the process did, in fact, involve stud-sensors and power drills.)  (Protip:  The whiteboards at my local Staples were actually HALF the price for the equivalent whiteboard at Office Depot.  Crazy!  So comparison shopping pays off!)

www.PaperDino.com

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2009, 09:57:52 PM »

Protip:  The whiteboards at my local Staples were actually HALF the price for the equivalent whiteboard at Office Depot.  Crazy!  So comparison shopping pays off!)

Comparing prices just saved me about $60 bucks on a router!

Back on topic: It's been a week.
Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2009, 04:35:20 AM »

I'm a big fan of bullet hell genre so this naturally caught my attention :D

The fact that it is made in Flash made me wonder how well would it handle all the crazy bullets flying around though.

Anyway, good luck with this and can't wait to get my hand on this Smiley

EDIT : Just saw  the brontosaurus. So cute, I dies.  :D

Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2009, 10:30:06 AM »

Right now, it runs at a solid 30fps (which is the target framerate) even on my 4-year-old laptop, so I'm generally happy with the performance.  (Disclaimer:  My laptop was a pretty decent machine 4 years ago, and is still not terrible.  It's quite capable of running TF2, LFD, if I don't mind turning the settings down a little...)

This has been my first project in ActionScript 3, (Before this I had only worked with AS2) and so far, I have to say, I've been pleasantly surprised by the performance improvements that Adobe has made.  It is worlds ahead of AS2 at least.

I can get it to slow down to 20fps if I enable Unicorn Mode and spam certain attacks, but I figure, Unicorn mode is sort of an unlockable bonus mode anyway, so if there are edge cases where unicorn mode causes slowdown, I'm not going to sweat it too much.

(Mostly I'm saved by the fact that all of my bullets have really really simple vector geometry, and so are fairly fast to render.  When they're all replaced with animating unicorns, they take slightly longer.  Not a huge amount longer, but enough that its noticeable if you're rendering a couple hundred of'em.

www.PaperDino.com

moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2009, 11:40:14 AM »

Just call that slowdown a feature. It's the Cave way.

Can't wait to play this.

|
Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2009, 01:10:04 PM »

Just call that slowdown a feature.
Adaptive Difficulty Adjustment (ADA)
Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: October 04, 2009, 05:06:37 PM »

Technical term makes it sound much better lol. Kinda remind me when I made my first visual novel and I didn't know how to program saving/loading so I call it a 'realistic path selection' feature Tongue

Right now, it runs at a solid 30fps (which is the target framerate) even on my 4-year-old laptop, so I'm generally happy with the performance.  (Disclaimer:  My laptop was a pretty decent machine 4 years ago, and is still not terrible.  It's quite capable of running TF2, LFD, if I don't mind turning the settings down a little...)

Ah, I see. I used to make a bullet hell game in AS3 once but once the number of bullets hit 100 - 200 the fps starts to drop, but I was aiming at 60 FPS which is probably too high anyway D:. It was my first AS3 game so I'm pretty sure I didn't optimize stuffs enough for this kind of game. I didn't use vector graphic so that's probably another reason why it slows.

Yours seems to me much better that mine and I can't wait to play! :D

Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: October 04, 2009, 05:52:02 PM »

Technical term makes it sound much better lol. Kinda remind me when I made my first visual novel and I didn't know how to program saving/loading so I call it a 'realistic path selection' feature Tongue
Heh.  Some of the old Touhou games even have that as an intentional option in the Options menu - Slowdown mode.  Makes the game go slower if there are lots of bullets on the screen.

Ah, I see. I used to make a bullet hell game in AS3 once but once the number of bullets hit 100 - 200 the fps starts to drop, but I was aiming at 60 FPS which is probably too high anyway D:. It was my first AS3 game so I'm pretty sure I didn't optimize stuffs enough for this kind of game. I didn't use vector graphic so that's probably another reason why it slows.
Yeah, I toyed with 60 fps as a target, but maintaining 60 looked like it would be a lot harder.  In the more exciting moments, it frequently dropped to 45-40 fps, even on my desktop.  (Which is a bit better than my laptop for specs.)  So I figured, let's set the framerate at a target that I can guaranteed will be rock solid.  30fps is still quite respectable, and if it stays there and doesn't waver, then excellent!

Yours seems to me much better that mine and I can't wait to play! :D
Well, you've got a new one that it looks like you're working on.  Which, based on the gameplay videos at least, is looking pretty polished and far along.  (I'm in abject envy of your art, and I love the concept!)

www.PaperDino.com

havchr
Level 2

gaming, coding, experimenting photo science party

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: October 05, 2009, 09:41:56 PM »

unicorn mode sounds like the greatest thing ever.
I'd also be willing to sign all sorts of papers to do a beta-test. The game idea sounds fun! Smiley

Also, you should paste the whiteboard picture into the programmers art thread in creative/art :D

Pizza is delicious.
Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2009, 10:53:02 AM »

[Warning - long post approaching]

Still alive!  Sorry for the lack of updates!  A contract gig I had accepted a while back, [thinking I would be done by now] started, and drastically reduced my free time for the month.  See, I was all figuring I was really ready to release about a week ago.  Everything on my check-list was done.  I was feeling good about things.  I was really happy where the game was at.

Then I gave it to some friends for perspective.  (The good folk over at Final Form Games)  They were going to "proofread it" before I sent it out for a massive playtest.  Make sure that I didn't do anything stupid like forget to connect an important button to code or some such.  Give me feedback and tell me if there were any tweaks that they thought would improve things.

ha ha.

They had some suggestions, all right, but they're a little more involved than "tweaks".

One of the difficulties and dangers in focusing on something intently is that you start to lose perspective on it.  It's easy to stop concentrating on the game as a whole, and just look at the list of pieces that are left to write.  And then assume that when the pieces are put together, the game will magically be there, whole, complete, and fun.  Basically lose sight of the forest for the trees.

This is the exact position I realized that I was in.  I had completed everything on my list!  I so was done, right?  But after giving it to some people who had not stared at the game nonstop for months, what they saw was not the same as what I saw!  In particular, they informed that the part that I thought was the main game (Survival mode - you vs. a constant growing swarm of enemy ships, play until they finally take you down) was not, in fact, terribly compelling.  Oh sure, it was fun.  It was still a good addition.  But it wasn't deep enough to carry the whole game, and there was not really any reason to play it more than once or twice after you'd seen all the ships.  After they spent the requisite 20-30 minutes getting gold-star rank in everything, that was that.  They were done.

In stark contrast, they LOVED challenge mode. (a bunch of descrete, bite-sized "levels" with unique goals and objectives which I originally included as a bonus mode)  They played it relentlessly.  Even though build I sent had only like 5-6 repeating challenges for every boss, which I spent around a total of 10 minutes on, mostly as a proof of concept that I was going to fill in later.  Tim apparently played it [willingly!] for over 5 hours, giving it a truly terrifying level of scrutiny.  (Although to be fair, he did have a fever at the time, so he may not have been fully in his head!)

Their reaction was basically "challenge mode needs to be your main game.  Either take out survival mode or make it a bonus feature.  Don't focus on it.  Focus on challenge mode, because it is the part that shows off where your game is the most fun.  Oh, and make less intrusive help windows."

So.  After a bit of consideration, (and checking with a few other friends to see if this reaction was general, and not just an outlier) this is now pretty much exactly what I am doing.  While it represents a bit of a shift from my original vision, I think it is a good one.  It provides a much more structured play session, and the user has better short-term goals.  After all, that's the fun of doing things indie - if I realize at the 11th hour that the game would be vastly improved by adding a week or two onto the schedule while part of the focus is changed... I can do that.  Without even having to check in with anyone for approval or buy in!

And I think I will!

Unfortunately, challenge mode at that moment only had about 5 half-real challenges, copied across 6 ships.  If it was to be a real game mode, I needed a few more challenges.  Based on screen layout and number, 18 seems like a good place to be.  That gives me 3 rows of 5, plus 3 "boss" levels at the end of each row.  Of course, that means coming up with [and coding!] 108 unique challenges.  That is a lot!  It is keeping me very busy!  Especially if I want to be done within the next two weeks!  (I'm currently up to around 60)

So net result:  I'm not as close to done as I thought!  Still pretty close, I hope.  But rather than a matter of days, it's looking more like a week or so.  Blame Tim of Final Form Games!  Blame him!  Although later, thank him, since the consistent stream of advice and sanity checks that he, Hal (also of Final Form Games) and various other friends have provided will, without a doubt, mean that the end game is far better than it would have been if I were developing in a vacuum.

Speaking of not developing in a vacuum, I think I would still like to try to do a limited public playtest.  Most likely starting sometime this weekend.  I will post details here (later today) as soon as I figure them out.

-Montoli

www.PaperDino.com

Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2009, 07:16:37 PM »

Ok!  Details, as promised!

I'm [finally!] going to start a closed beta.  It will start this weekend, most likely sometime sunday.  (Depends on how fast I get the last few tasks done on saturday before I turn people loose on it.)  The game is around 80% done, and the only thing remaining to implement are the last levels for most bosses.

Anyone interested in playing this build and offering feedback, helping me tune difficulties, and root out any 11th hour bugs, send an email to

bossrush-playtest [at] paperdino [dot] com

I'll send further information out this weekend to everyone who has shown interest!

Thanks in advance!

-Montoli

www.PaperDino.com

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic