Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411616 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 09:47:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSpice Road
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Spice Road  (Read 9667 times)
iggie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: October 06, 2009, 09:35:03 AM »

Spice Road

Update 21-11-2013
Happy to say Spice Road is complete, polished and out the door! On sale now after a long and winding development.

http://www.aartformgames.com/games/spice-road

Update 24-09-2013

Check out the latest Spice Road video trailer & please upvote our Greenlight page!
Spice Road Video Trailer + Greenlight

Update 16-05-2013
For all Strategy/Town Building/Economic Sim fans, the Spice Road Demo is now freely available for download.

Free Spice Road Demo

Beta version available to Preorders:
New features in Beta 0.200 - 32 Upgradeable Skills and Abilities + Sandbox Freeplay Map Generator.

// Older post below

New Screenshots

Please feel free to critique anything and everything on my log, that's why I'm here Smiley
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 02:29:13 PM by iggie » Logged

Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 07:03:18 PM »

I'm confused. Judging from the name, I thought this will be a tycoon or sims-liked kind of game. But then you have this soldier that could kill his friends  Shocked

Which mean I can't wait to hear more about this .

iggie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 12:21:58 AM »

Well you do have to defend yourself, and strike out new trade routes through bandit infested deserts and forests Smiley

Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 12:30:23 AM »

An interesting theme. Are you going with the actual Europe-Asia trade routes, or is it a more general 'anyworld' setting?

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 01:15:21 AM »

I think this is an awesome idea. The setting is one that I really like but is not explored very often.

iggie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 12:52:58 PM »

The setting is an alternate world, using the culture and technology of the Napoleonic 18th Century, but mixed in with the Medieval Silk Road feel - it is the world as it could have been if the naval routes hadn't killed the land routes.
  There are even a few shades of the colonial wild west of the same time period, especially when it comes to town building and roaming bandits.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 08:36:42 PM »

This game looks pretty cool, and I like the art style you've got going.  I would say that I tend to have a reflex against playing any games with "Tycoon" in the name.  If you put Tycoon in the name, people are going to have a certain expectation of a type of game play that it sounds like you're not going with.  It's like putting "Tactics" in a game's name.  Even if the game is tactical in nature, it shouldn't have "Tactics" in the name unless it's a turn based strategy/rpg hybrid.

iggie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 11:52:32 PM »

malec2b - I know what you mean, I am trying to stretch the genre's a bit. It is much more of a Tycoon game than an RTS, and also is quite a Sim. The actual trading is not too overbearing, with as much emphasis on diplomacy and combat.

So while the game remain officially unannounced I can still change the name, so what genre is Tycoon+Combat+Trading+Sim ? Smiley

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 03:44:41 AM »

Why can't you just call it 'Spice Road'? Game titles that include the genre of the game are always boring anyway.

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 04:19:13 AM »

Will the game have badass alternate history mongol raiders/allies? It better have...

Name wise you could give it something pseudo-historical, like "The Karakorum Trading Company" or something better (by analogy to the Dutch East India Company). There must be some more Victorian trading company names that can be Silk-Road-ised.

iggie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 12:23:21 PM »

Cool ideas, I would love to have mongol raiders as a playable class for some scenarios Grin
The combat is much more raider/ambush focused rather than simple territory grabbing, so raiding is an important gameplay technique, and mounted lightning raids on villages and caravans are a good way to go about it - making a quick getaway before the colonial troops arrive!

I'll take "Spice Road" as a working title for the time being - I've got about 100 alternate titles I tried while thinking up ideas for this Crazy so I think I need to just move on and let my subconscious mull it over some more.

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 09:42:28 AM »

Sure man, I know how it is, I was just getting carried away Smiley

iggie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 01:36:24 PM »

After a crash course in animation I got my musket soldier in engine. I am always surprised just how hard it is to do animation!

Now with some placeholder units working I can get back to making some buildings.

Plasticware
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 03:33:47 PM »

Reverse the arm motions - left arm should go back when left foot goes forward, and same for the right. This should help your animation a lot.
iggie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2009, 02:27:50 AM »

Ha! Thanks Plasticware Nightmare, I was paying so much attention to the keyframe positions I got my arms in the wrong phase to the legs. I'm glad I posted the video Grin Also reminds me to preview the anim more often in more than just front/side views.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 03:23:31 AM by iggie » Logged

Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2009, 03:27:34 PM »

there's something really interesting about that style of graphics.  Looks like it could be an interesting game and the walk cycle is looking good already!

iggie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2009, 01:43:06 PM »

Started on buildings, on reflection I think 3000 polys is too many, and I'll leave more of the twiddly detail in the texture in future.

Only the red roof one is new - others are placeholder...

iggie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2009, 01:52:20 PM »

I've done my first press announcement on this game, and in the end I dropped 'Tycoon' and went for the much shorter title Spice Road

Otherwise I have been marching through building lots of meshes to populate the towns, and have begun translating my GUI mockups into actual code. I have dropped from 3000 to 1000 polies on the town models - but hope to get more detail and variety in the textures later.

View Full Size

Now I feel like I am going to get deep down into the coding forest - building tables and forms, buttons and panels, maps and inventories - and it may be a while before I come to a place where I can catch sight of the gameplay again. Apparently this is quite normal in game dev, a long doldrum of building before it really gets playable. Ah well, lots to get on with Smiley

iggie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2009, 02:58:54 PM »

I've been making horses, not as tricky as I thought they would be - although I know the anatomy freaks will hate them.

In a turnaround on my normal modelling work-flow I modelled from hi to lo poly on this one rather than carefully handcrafting the polies one by one to make the lo-poly mesh from scratch.

I needed to add a couple of extra polies around the leg joints but other than that the automatic mesh reduction from MeshLab did the job well.

Mogget
Level 1

Manbabysitter

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2009, 03:13:46 AM »

Those are some fine horses you have there, good sir! Gentleman
Now you just have to get the animation right.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 06:49:38 AM by Mogget » Logged

Hurray for shameless promotion!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic