Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411637 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 05:12:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesUndertale
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: Undertale  (Read 51838 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 27, 2015, 05:57:41 PM »

Give it a chance he is just a little synth!

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: November 27, 2015, 06:09:38 PM »

I get that they are probably trying to be modern and gritty or watever, but when I paid 60 bucks for a bethesda game I was mostly just hoping for a classic hero's journey RPG where it's possible to get by without inadvertantly burning bridges and creating hundreds of mortal enemies

no mortal enemies except for hundreds of orcs and goblins and bandits and dragons and ancient gods and wild animals etc. of course

Well yeah, except for those
They are just hazards of the wild, resistance to progress, they aren't real characters

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 27, 2015, 06:20:15 PM »

which brings us back to undertale where even the random encounters are real characters
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 28, 2015, 08:13:23 AM »

Talking to this guy who was complaining about how Undertale was popular in the SJW community and how he didn't like its characters because they were hipster-ish.

Whaaaaaaat does that even mean I do not understand millennials.

FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 28, 2015, 07:51:20 PM »

which brings us back to undertale where even the random encounters are real characters
I think it speaks to how well-done the enemies are that I remember the names and personalities of pretty much all of them after just one playthrough.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 29, 2015, 06:52:54 AM »

Undertale Songs in Metal.

might be my favorite.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 29, 2015, 07:57:08 AM »

I have thought about this game way more than played it. i think thats a good sign.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 29, 2015, 08:24:31 AM »

The incredible thing about undertale song is how they feel so familiar despite being original, yet don't feel "derivative" in a blatant way. I think he truly capture the spirit of traditional "video games" in such an evident way in this game, and that without having to repeat to many tropes by themselves, just evolving them. If you game since the nes, you feel like you have been back home after a very long time.

FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 29, 2015, 10:48:35 AM »

If leitmotifs were a person I'm pretty sure Toby would marry them
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 08:25:18 PM by FK in the Coffee » Logged
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 29, 2015, 11:03:13 AM »

it sounds like typical jrpg music from the snes era to me but whatevs
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: November 29, 2015, 02:05:44 PM »

I listen to ost before, I was sure it wound like secret of mlana, it sound nothing like, so I tried various FF, nope, I tried megaman nope, it's stylistically different but evoke the same exact emotion.

... Or I'm bad at listening music Huh? which certainly is the case

Either way it leave me flummox, because I was sure I could find one music that was "so similar" (haven't tried earthbound though which would be obvious but I never played it).

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: November 29, 2015, 02:17:18 PM »

what little I heard of its music really reminded me of Live-A-Live

is basically

and a bit of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBnYGYa6l3M

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 29, 2015, 02:23:12 PM »

everybody heard something different, but then I jump to the ost it's sound nothing a like. The thing that is missing in undertale is teh epic undertone with march like drum that is pervasive to typical rpg music.

live a live ost

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 29, 2015, 02:42:08 PM »

i don't think it sounds like one particular other game, but stylistically its typical jrpg music. you have your dramatic proggy battle themes, your japanese fusion and 80s j-pop esque overworld themes, your tranquil town themes etc. everything is poppy and driven by a central melodic hook. it doesn't really draw on any influences outside of the jrpg canon.

not that that's bad, it's well made music and pleasant to listen to. i guess i was just disappointed that a game that breaks so many conventions is so conservative in its use of music.

also i should say im a snob not particularly interested in typical "videogame music" aside from a few select games.

edit: the snowdin town theme reminds me of pokemon
DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 29, 2015, 02:42:59 PM »

If leitmotifs were a person I'm pretty Toby would marry them

This.  Seriously, his use of a single theme in Oh! One True Love, Oh! Dungeon, and For the Fans is incredible for being way more than just a throwaway FF6 reference.

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 29, 2015, 03:37:10 PM »

We are kind in agreement lol just have different feeling about it. However Jrpg is already largely influenced by other genre of music (much more than wrpg?).

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 29, 2015, 03:57:00 PM »

wrpg soundtracks are mostly generic orchestral mood music.

EDIT: ohhhh yeah, how i could forget: fallout 1 has one of my favorite OSTs in any game. great integration of soundscapes and music in that game with some unusual arrangements: https://youtu.be/lcLUcvXREHE?t=6m52s
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: November 29, 2015, 04:29:32 PM »

i really like fo1 and 2 atmospheric music, but i tend to prefer planescape:torment ost. mark morgan is god

FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 29, 2015, 08:27:28 PM »

If leitmotifs were a person I'm pretty Toby would marry them

This.  Seriously, his use of a single theme in Oh! One True Love, Oh! Dungeon, and For the Fans is incredible for being way more than just a throwaway FF6 reference.
Also the fact that the music that plays when you kill all the monsters in an area during the genocide run is just part of Flowey's theme slowed down 800%
Pfotegeist
« Reply #219 on: December 04, 2015, 04:51:56 AM »

Curious. Of all the parallels in the Mother series... what does anyone think Undertale touches on which might actually be extremely controversial?

I'll say my part.
I'll start by pointing out the title Mother is very in-your face, it's a vain and disparaging reference to the plot. If that is disturbing then stop reading now. Mother 2 made it to the West with the title Earthbound. This passes the game off as a harmless alien invasion because that's all imaginary violence and easy to cope with.

If you're light of heart this is the place to stop reading.

Theory and stuff
On to the controversy. The main characters are children. That implies children have control over their own destiny, false. They have heroic properties, children are full of potential, but this is not a choice, children are often seen as an extension of the family and not really functional. Next there's the notable issue about physical gender, and gender association, very prevalent in Mother 3 (ref below) and Undertale. The least obvious thing is the parents die in Mother 1, the father is never there in Earthbound because he is at work (he's a phone, literally). There is a theory that the final boss in Earthbound is a fetus. I'd go further to say it's a pregnancy that never ends, quite frightening. The mother dies during an act of heroism in Mother 3 (I've been primed to recognize that branding someone a hero or villain makes them seem like less of a victim when their life ends), in Undertale you decide who lives - but the story could easily be framed that the mother had quite a lot of power, she could have ruined the game at that moment, she sacrifices herself of her own free will (sounds heroic), and by doing so her husband is condemned to death canonically.  Although the father has the physique and final boss cliche of any old game, the father is exactly the same as the mother in spirit. The tie-in is family problems.  There is also the friend who has a warped mind because of childhood trauma, Pokey Claus and Asriel.

Double-theory
[MGSV SPOILER]The loss of loved ones, this is not too well received in Japan either, a stigma of sort in entertainment. That's what the whole Phantom Pain controversy was about, theory within theories, the well advertised character, Quiet, goes away. The West see this game, talk about how sexual Quiet is portrayed and very quietly balk when she is removed somewhat permanently. When I run a Google search about this controversy right now "that sexually portrayed female, that boring game" how this game is controversial from the point of view of Western civilization, not Japan or an Entertainment Industry point of view. Even by playing the game you'd think your reward for progressing was you make women go away and unlock more grind (this is hearsay - I'll believe it), such subversion.[/MGSV SPOILER]

There are also some claims about copyrighted material.  That is a drop in the bucket.

other sources of information too sparse, so I'm extrapolating a bit.

tl;dr Conclusions games dealing in serious current events look like a sales risk in the West, but the most disturbing material goes over everyone's head. Advertising drives the opinion about game media rather than the actual content, which has gone unrecognized for a long time. Pretty sad.

some stuff
Game Theorists' LGBT Nintendo theory:

Game Theorists' Earthbound theory:

Random post discussing Mother 3: http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/mother-3-faces-some-significant-hurdles-to-be-localized-for-wii-us-vc-or-any-other-nintendo-console.454360372/
MGSV spoiler ref http://www.gosunoob.com/metal-gear-solid-5/how-to-get-quiet-MGSV SPOILER
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 22
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic