Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411634 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: wcored

May 13, 2024, 01:24:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Liero [DONE]
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Liero [DONE]  (Read 65894 times)
Winterous
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: July 14, 2009, 06:30:14 PM »

Looks good!

After playtesting a bit with my friend (who likes using Liero), I got an interesting bit of feedback. He found the aerial Doomsday to be a bit wierd, and not too useful. I kind of agree. Liero still needs an attack named downwards, though. We decided that Napalm would be a good replacement. It'd be a projectile affected by gravity that explodes on impact. We can just reuse the throwing animation, so it should also save us some work on spriting.
Napalm is NOT safe to throw :D
Couldn't you just make a shooting-downward-in-the-air animation?
Shouldn't be too hard.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #241 on: July 14, 2009, 07:04:28 PM »

That's never stopped Liero. It's one of the best explosives.

Winterous
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 14, 2009, 07:44:40 PM »

That's never stopped Liero. It's one of the best explosives.
But ALL his projectiles come from his gun.
I think it's safe to assume his gun is hard-wired into his nervous system  My Word!
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #243 on: July 14, 2009, 07:49:32 PM »

Here's an animation of napalm being used in game.

Winterous
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 14, 2009, 07:55:27 PM »

Here's an animation of napalm being used in game.

I know, it's awesome, but he's still shooting it, not throwing it Tongue
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #245 on: July 16, 2009, 08:45:58 AM »

it's implied.

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 16, 2009, 09:04:32 AM »

it's implied.
Yeah from the angle and arc I'd say he totally throws it.
falsion
« Reply #247 on: July 16, 2009, 11:31:48 AM »

it's implied.
Yeah from the angle and arc I'd say he totally throws it.

Or it could be a grenade launcher type weapon of some sort.
shig
« Reply #248 on: July 16, 2009, 11:40:50 AM »

I imagine it as his gun turning into a slingshot-thing.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #249 on: July 16, 2009, 11:47:31 AM »

Is there some reason you guys really have a problem with reusing the throwing sprite and saving time and energy?

shig
« Reply #250 on: July 16, 2009, 12:07:24 PM »

Hahaha, I don't have anything against using the throw animation.

But it might get a bit confusing after we add items in the game, I don't know. Use the throwing animation for now, and if it does become a problem, we should consider making another one.

Winterous
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 16, 2009, 06:15:52 PM »

Is there some reason you guys really have a problem with reusing the throwing sprite and saving time and energy?
Oh no problem at all, I'm just pedantic.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 22, 2009, 12:25:46 AM »

Some weapons, such as the bombs and grenades, are thrown, not shot, even though the sprite doesn't show it. If I remember right there was a throwing sound when firing those weapons.

Also, if I remember right, napalm was one of them. Note that he does not throw the napalm but a container of napalm that on impact cracks open so that the napalm ignites.

Gentleman
Winterous
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 22, 2009, 12:38:22 AM »

Some weapons, such as the bombs and grenades, are thrown, not shot, even though the sprite doesn't show it. If I remember right there was a throwing sound when firing those weapons.

Also, if I remember right, napalm was one of them. Note that he does not throw the napalm but a container of napalm that on impact cracks open so that the napalm ignites.

Gentleman
Let's face it though, Napalm in Liero wasn't very realistic.
If it was actual napalm, it would keep burning, what we got was more of a fire-bomb.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #254 on: July 22, 2009, 09:31:12 AM »

It's more of a yellow-orange circle-spewing bomb.

That was me saying it doesn't matter and likely no one will care.

Winterous
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: July 23, 2009, 02:31:15 AM »

It's more of a yellow-orange circle-spewing bomb.

That was me saying it doesn't matter and likely no one will care.

I'll spew circles at you if you don't stop revealing our secrets!
Blaizer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 03, 2009, 08:51:41 PM »

Two things that could improve the already great Liero.

1. Although I don't think it works like this in the actual game, the Chiquita Bomb should either bounce off opponents or explode on touch. I don't really like how they just go straight through.

2. The fan can be held down to keep it open and keep releasing them and the rate you can already release them by constantly tapping attack. Just makes it less work for the player and. You'd have to break the sprite into two parts though.

Another memorable attack was the guided missile. Don't know if it would work in the game, but it would be fun if you got it right.
godsavant
« Reply #257 on: September 03, 2009, 09:02:13 PM »

Two things that could improve the already great Liero.

1. Although I don't think it works like this in the actual game, the Chiquita Bomb should either bounce off opponents or explode on touch. I don't really like how they just go straight through.

This would make the move even more broken than it currently is, since Liero can summon them endlessly on a whim. Not even the normal spawned items are this powerful.

2. The fan can be held down to keep it open and keep releasing them and the rate you can already release them by constantly tapping attack. Just makes it less work for the player and. You'd have to break the sprite into two parts though.

The fan is already a bit too rapid, since the Doomsday missile makes any path directly in front of Liero a killzone, and Grapple offers players a more skill-based survival technique. Letting Liero deflect projectiles and launch back/stun melee attackers endlessly with the Fan would make him nigh invincible (Fan, Doomsday, Fan, Doomsday, Fan, Doomsday, Fan...); the move is meant to be used in strategic one-shot spurts, not endlessly mashed like you're suggesting.

Another memorable attack was the guided missile. Don't know if it would work in the game, but it would be fun if you got it right.

It wouldn't work; Not only would sprites have to be made for the missile's every concievable angle, but the homing aspect would greatly reduce the already minute need for the Liero player to actually move and not just spam the Shotgun, Doomsday, and - in your case - homing missile.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 09:06:30 PM by godsavant » Logged
Blaizer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 03, 2009, 09:07:52 PM »

No, not homing missile. Guided missile. After shooting it, your movement is disabled and instead you control the missile.

You would have to get it right, but it would work.
godsavant
« Reply #259 on: September 03, 2009, 09:11:33 PM »

Oh, like the Nikita? I suppose that would work better, but considering how little health Liero has, it would far too much of a risk to be used often.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic