Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411632 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 13, 2024, 06:19:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesOuya - New Game Console?
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 94
Print
Author Topic: Ouya - New Game Console?  (Read 175853 times)
poe
« Reply #1780 on: September 12, 2013, 12:20:26 PM »

For better or for worse, Ouya got there first. I'm unlikely to buy another microconsole unless there's a TowerFall-esque exclusive for it that I really want to play. Still hoping they'll turn themselves around before they completely crash and burn.

100% agree
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: September 12, 2013, 05:36:58 PM »

http://kotaku.com/introducing-ps-vita-tv-1276599936
 Shocked
a new challenger appear

poe
« Reply #1782 on: September 12, 2013, 06:31:20 PM »

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=35893.0
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1783 on: September 13, 2013, 04:40:47 PM »

It seems someone just admitted doing the whole "self-fund your Free The Games project" tactic in a backer update.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3532967&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=589#post419427665

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1784 on: September 13, 2013, 05:23:59 PM »

OUYA's just going to roll with it?

Lips Sealed

Lips Sealed Lips Sealed

Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1785 on: September 13, 2013, 05:54:30 PM »

I hope not. It doesn't violate Kickstarter's Terms and Conditions but, regardless of that, it's uncool and something OUYA shouldn't encourage.

Nektonico
Level 2

Time traveller graffiti

View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: September 14, 2013, 01:19:44 AM »

Interesting how the Vita TV has basically as much processing power as the OUYA, they are evenly matched in that regard. Didnt know the VITA was so underpowered.

And all this "Free The Games" thing, seems very poorly planned. Sad because all that money could have gone to other developers with a track record of making great games, and some actually enticing exclusives might have popped up on the OUYA.

I also cant believe how people sink so much money into kickstarting OUYA games, and spend so little money buying games on the OUYA store.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/are-indies-making-any-money-from-ouya/

Towerfall made around 2.000 sales at 15 dollars each (data from july 2013). Thats roughly 30.000 dollars.
And the "Free The Games" thing offer to match up to 250.000 dollars to developers who raise at least 50.000 dollars in kickstarter.
I hope im not the only one seeing the insanity of all of this.
And Towerfall is supposedly a flagship title. Maybe one of the best sellers back then.

Hand Money Left Wizard Hand Money Right

Its puzzling. I dont even blame the OUYA people. Its just a pretty crazy market by the looks of it. No one knows where the money is, or how clever people might game the system to get a piece of the cake.

He was built by the worlds finest surgeons to drive the fastest car ever designed and nothing can stop him now. ಠ_ృ
“The greatest misfortune is when theory outstrips performance.” - Leonardo DaVinci
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1787 on: September 14, 2013, 04:37:34 AM »

Interesting how the Vita TV has basically as much processing power as the OUYA, they are evenly matched in that regard. Didnt know the VITA was so underpowered.

Not really comparable. The Vita TV hardware was designed specifically to play games. The Ouya has an off-the-shelf mobile phone SoC.

EDIT: And also, I believe the only two Free the Games kickstarters to have reached the required $50,000 minimum to qualify have done so by gaming the system (and one was suspended by kickstarter). People are definitely not sinking a lot of money into kickstarting Ouya games.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 04:43:51 AM by Christian Knudsen » Logged

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
ham and brie
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: September 14, 2013, 05:48:43 AM »

Not really comparable. The Vita TV hardware was designed specifically to play games. The Ouya has an off-the-shelf mobile phone SoC.

The Vita's is just a minor variant of an off-the-shelf SoC.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: September 14, 2013, 07:15:34 AM »

Huh? the ouya is less powerfull than a psp the vita is another league above

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1790 on: September 14, 2013, 08:18:04 AM »

The Vita's is just a minor variant of an off-the-shelf SoC.

Sony designed and manufactured the CXD53155GG in collaboration with IBM and Toshiba. It's not like they grabbed an existing off-the-shelf SoC and slapped it into a box like Ouya.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Nektonico
Level 2

Time traveller graffiti

View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: September 14, 2013, 09:08:46 AM »

Not really, apparently, if you look at the specs or hear what knowledgeable people have to say about it. There is nothing magical at all about the PS Vita's internal hardware. Its like a tegra3 board inside (except for all the extra lockdown hardware to prevent jailbreaking the things) (lockdown is one of the only things preventing it from running android).
The PS Vita is like a smartphone without the phone part. I dont understand why they dont give you the option to side-load android to it. Would solve the -lacking-games problem.

He was built by the worlds finest surgeons to drive the fastest car ever designed and nothing can stop him now. ಠ_ృ
“The greatest misfortune is when theory outstrips performance.” - Leonardo DaVinci
ham and brie
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: September 14, 2013, 09:19:31 AM »

Sony designed and manufactured the CXD53155GG in collaboration with IBM and Toshiba. It's not like they grabbed an existing off-the-shelf SoC and slapped it into a box like Ouya.

There might not be an off-the-shelf SoC with the same combination of clock speeds, core counts, etc. but it's that kind of variant on a mobile SoC. There's not really anything special for games about it. The iPad launched a year later was a step up (probably a larger step than the Vita is from the Ouya).

Biggest performance advantage is that the Vita screen is just 960x544.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: September 14, 2013, 09:50:32 AM »

Not really, apparently, if you look at the specs or hear what knowledgeable people have to say about it. There is nothing magical at all about the PS Vita's internal hardware. Its like a tegra3 board inside (except for all the extra lockdown hardware to prevent jailbreaking the things) (lockdown is one of the only things preventing it from running android).
The PS Vita is like a smartphone without the phone part. I dont understand why they dont give you the option to side-load android to it. Would solve the -lacking-games problem.

Ouya
50 unlit 32 lit Mtri/s
474 Mpx/s

Sony PSP
Fill Rate (triangle) : 33 million triangles / sec
Fill Rate (pixel) : 664 million pixels / sec

Nintendo 3DS : DMP Pica 200
Fill Rate (triangle) : 40 million triangles / sec
Fill Rate (pixel) : 1600 million pixels / sec

edit:
vita
Fillrate: 140 MTriangles, 4000 MPixels
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 10:05:04 AM by Gimym TILBERT » Logged

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: September 14, 2013, 10:29:48 AM »

i live my life one triangle at a time
poe
« Reply #1795 on: September 14, 2013, 11:42:33 AM »

have you even tried double triangle living???
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: September 14, 2013, 11:54:09 AM »

have you even tried double triangle living???
when i cut my sandwiches, yes
VDZ
Level 4

My post is there read that instead ->

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1797 on: September 14, 2013, 12:51:35 PM »

Towerfall made around 2.000 sales at 15 dollars each (data from july 2013). Thats roughly 30.000 dollars.
And the "Free The Games" thing offer to match up to 250.000 dollars to developers who raise at least 50.000 dollars in kickstarter.
And Towerfall is supposedly a flagship title. Maybe one of the best sellers back then.
There are three things to take into consideration here:

1. There's only like 100.000 Ouyas out there. This means roughly 1 in 50 Ouya owners has bought Towerfall, which isn't all that bad.
2. Towerfall is much, much more expensive than every other game on Ouya except for FF3. Most games are $1-3, some as high as $5, but Towerfall is a whopping $15. In the context of Ouya games, that's just very expensive.

But the biggest reason Towerfall will never truly sell well as it is now:
3. Towerfall is a multiplayer-only game with no bots or online play. There is technically a single-player version, but I've found it about as interesting as staring at a blank screen. It's mainly intended for practicing, but even for that it's really mediocre.

As a rule of thumb, I want an hour of playtime out of my games for every dollar I've spent on them. I've had Towerfall since like two-three days after receiving my Ouya, and I was a kickstarter backer. Towerfall has yet to meet the dollars/hours standard. Unless you have interested people around to play the game with, Towerfall just isn't worth the money. (I don't regret my purchase as I did manage to play a couple of hours and it's tons of fun in multiplayer, but mostly it just sits there in my game list, never being played. If you can't even guarantee a couple hours of playtime, it's just a waste of money.)
Nektonico
Level 2

Time traveller graffiti

View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: September 14, 2013, 01:56:31 PM »

There are three things to take into consideration here:

1. There's only like 100.000 Ouyas out there. This means roughly 1 in 50 Ouya owners has bought Towerfall, which isn't all that bad.
2. Towerfall is much, much more expensive than every other game on Ouya except for FF3. Most games are $1-3, some as high as $5, but Towerfall is a whopping $15. In the context of Ouya games, that's just very expensive.

But the biggest reason Towerfall will never truly sell well as it is now:
3. Towerfall is a multiplayer-only game with no bots or online play. There is technically a single-player version, but I've found it about as interesting as staring at a blank screen. It's mainly intended for practicing, but even for that it's really mediocre.

As a rule of thumb, I want an hour of playtime out of my games for every dollar I've spent on them. I've had Towerfall since like two-three days after receiving my Ouya, and I was a kickstarter backer. Towerfall has yet to meet the dollars/hours standard. Unless you have interested people around to play the game with, Towerfall just isn't worth the money. (I don't regret my purchase as I did manage to play a couple of hours and it's tons of fun in multiplayer, but mostly it just sits there in my game list, never being played. If you can't even guarantee a couple hours of playtime, it's just a waste of money.)

Read and weep.

Ouya Developers Reveal Modest Sales
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/22/ouya-developers-reveal-modest-sales

I quote:
So, let's sum up. The biggest Ouya success story has generated about $21,000 for the developer in around one month of availability. Other developers are making incremental revenue ranging from $500 - $6,000. The common refrain we're hearing over and over from developers is that their Ouya ports aren't making a lot of money, but they're also dead-easy to create, representing just a couple days work from a single engineer, as long as the game was controller-friendly to begin with.

In some ways, this is good news for Ouya. If you're a small Android developer that only needs to sell enough games to pay for a few salaries, Ouya ports look like a cost-effective way to reach a new audience. Ouya users are spending money, and if you're already on Android, it seems to make financial sense to get on Ouya as well.

Additionally, revenue figures in the hundreds or low thousands sound extremely low, but they're also based on just a few weeks or (at maximum) a month of availability. If purchases remain steady for developers like Radiangames or Robot Invader, Ouya sales will generate nearly $20,000 for the studios over the course of a full year.

Now Read and laugh.

Ouya CEO: Game Sales "Better Than We Expected"
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126352-Ouya-CEO-Game-Sales-Better-Than-We-Expected

I quote:
Uhrman said. "I believe that by the end of the year, we'll see a few developers telling us they've made more than a million dollars on Ouya.

Hand ClapCheesy

Im not an OUYA hater or anything (i really do hope they succeed and help indies in some way), but its all very hilarious. Fuck it, im cloning Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing, kickstarting it, and porting it to the ouya. Easiest million dollars ever. (but only if i get Super Joe to do the voice acting)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 02:06:10 PM by Nektonico » Logged

Nektonico
Level 2

Time traveller graffiti

View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: September 14, 2013, 02:03:37 PM »

Ouya
50 unlit 32 lit Mtri/s
474 Mpx/s

Sony PSP
Fill Rate (triangle) : 33 million triangles / sec
Fill Rate (pixel) : 664 million pixels / sec

Nintendo 3DS : DMP Pica 200
Fill Rate (triangle) : 40 million triangles / sec
Fill Rate (pixel) : 1600 million pixels / sec

edit:
vita
Fillrate: 140 MTriangles, 4000 MPixels

I dont get your stats. How do you benchmark cross-platform? What software / game engine? Theres nothing magical going on in the hardware, you can compare metal to metal to see whats going on. If someone manages to run android on PS Vita, then you could easily compare OUYA and Vita (only relevant really due to the Vita TV microconsole thing). They are supposed to be very close in terms of firepower. The processors are ARM and similar. Seriously, just because its a console doesnt mean it necessarily has propietary hardware. I suspect the era of proprietary processors in consoles is kind of over (judging by current state of things).

Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 94
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic