Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 12:21:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesOuya - New Game Console?
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 94
Print
Author Topic: Ouya - New Game Console?  (Read 175839 times)
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1800 on: September 14, 2013, 02:35:30 PM »

if you lay an ouya and a vita flat on a table side by side, you will notice that the ouya is much taller, and thus better at being 3d
poe
« Reply #1801 on: September 14, 2013, 03:41:54 PM »

if you lay an ouya and a vita flat on a table side by side, you will notice that the ouya is much taller, and thus better at being 3d

oh ya
pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1802 on: September 14, 2013, 04:29:10 PM »

gonna be interesting to hear how many copies of Gridiron Thunder will be sold...

I AM FREE!
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1803 on: September 14, 2013, 05:01:01 PM »

When you think OUYA, you think sports. Durr...?
pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1804 on: September 14, 2013, 05:12:53 PM »

if it gets less than 183 sold copies it'll be the icing on the cake  Well, hello there!

I AM FREE!
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1805 on: September 14, 2013, 08:53:35 PM »

The OUYA, it's just like your phone. Only less powerful and lacking mobility.
Get the worst of both worlds!
"I like the smell of burnt indie dreams in the morning"

Master of all trades.
MrBones
« Reply #1806 on: September 15, 2013, 05:16:25 AM »

It's too bad really, this thing had some potential.
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1807 on: September 15, 2013, 08:02:07 AM »

The only way I can see it was having a potential is the value/price due to it's unique configuration.
Theoretically it could compete with other Android devices by ditching the touch screen and putting most of the customer's money into the CPU\GPU.
I am not entirely sure customer actually get their value for their money because the performance of the OUYA seems quite poor.

There is very little chance to compete hardware wise since big companies can make the most cutting edge hardware for lower price and such a small company can just pick up off the shelves components and work with that.

If I already got a stronger device in my pocket I am really unlikely to invest more money in  a weaker non mobile device.

Master of all trades.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: September 15, 2013, 09:44:05 AM »

Huh? the ouya is less powerfull than a psp the vita is another league above

Not really, apparently, if you look at the specs or hear what knowledgeable people have to say about it. There is nothing magical at all about the PS Vita's internal hardware. Its like a tegra3 board inside (except for all the extra lockdown hardware to prevent jailbreaking the things) (lockdown is one of the only things preventing it from running android).
The PS Vita is like a smartphone without the phone part. I dont understand why they dont give you the option to side-load android to it. Would solve the -lacking-games problem.

Ouya
50 unlit 32 lit Mtri/s
474 Mpx/s

Sony PSP
Fill Rate (triangle) : 33 million triangles / sec
Fill Rate (pixel) : 664 million pixels / sec

Nintendo 3DS : DMP Pica 200
Fill Rate (triangle) : 40 million triangles / sec
Fill Rate (pixel) : 1600 million pixels / sec

edit:
vita
Fillrate: 140 MTriangles, 4000 MPixels

I dont get your stats. How do you benchmark cross-platform? What software / game engine? Theres nothing magical going on in the hardware, you can compare metal to metal to see whats going on. If someone manages to run android on PS Vita, then you could easily compare OUYA and Vita (only relevant really due to the Vita TV microconsole thing). They are supposed to be very close in terms of firepower. The processors are ARM and similar. Seriously, just because its a console doesnt mean it necessarily has propietary hardware. I suspect the era of proprietary processors in consoles is kind of over (judging by current state of things).
There is magnitude of raw power difference that don't need any specific comparison, I guarantee you that the last killzone mercenary on vita don't run on ouya. It has nothing to do with console or proprietary hardware.

Fillrate is the rate at which a console draw a scene in triangle and in texture. When you have a simple lighting on textured triangles, the triangle is drawn twice (once for the texture, then for the lighting), which mean that expensive effect like normal specular lighting map take texture fillrate from the load. You can see that in the downport of some ouya game. Mtris = million of triangle, divide by 60 or 30 (fps) to get the load per frame.

Ouya is not, in any kind of shape, close to the vita.

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1809 on: September 15, 2013, 10:37:01 AM »

What? who told you that BS?
Why would the triangle be drawn twice?
Maybe you mean it is being drawn for shadow mapping as well but the fact it has a texture is irrelevant.

Master of all trades.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: September 15, 2013, 11:49:24 AM »

It's a visual shortcut to picture complexity cost, but isn't that how old fixed function shader use to work? In modern shader each operations would count as such and impact fillrate. So that's a metaphorical equivalent. It's true there is more to it, but hey! I'm not making an intro into shader.

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1811 on: September 15, 2013, 12:30:30 PM »

Only it's wrong.
It's like saying a car is two bicycles riding next to each other.

Master of all trades.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: September 15, 2013, 12:33:21 PM »

are you trying to say my homemade flintstones car isn't roadworthy?
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1813 on: September 15, 2013, 12:56:17 PM »

Depends on if you've got a time machine and a craving for brontosaurus burgers.
Nektonico
Level 2

Time traveller graffiti

View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: September 15, 2013, 03:37:56 PM »

There is magnitude of raw power difference that don't need any specific comparison, I guarantee you that the last killzone mercenary on vita don't run on ouya. It has nothing to do with console or proprietary hardware.

Fillrate is the rate at which a console draw a scene in triangle and in texture. When you have a simple lighting on textured triangles, the triangle is drawn twice (once for the texture, then for the lighting), which mean that expensive effect like normal specular lighting map take texture fillrate from the load. You can see that in the downport of some ouya game. Mtris = million of triangle, divide by 60 or 30 (fps) to get the load per frame.

Ouya is not, in any kind of shape, close to the vita.

You are ranting about the definitions of fillrate, but didnt answer my question. What benchmarks are you using cross -platform. Its not an objective measurement. A benchmark is very specific software, not an objective measurement.

The real measurement is the hardware itself. Lets look at the Vita.

Primary Component Listing

Sony CXD5315GG – Quad-core processor with two Samsung K4P2G324EC 256 MB Mobile DDR2-S4 SDRAM
Memory die (512MB total memory)
Toshiba THGBM3G5D1FBAIE - Multichip Memory Package – Memory and Memory Controller
Marvell 88W878S-BKB2 - Avastar WLAN/Bluetooth/FM Single-Chip System-on-Chip
Fujitsu MB44C026A – Possible Multichannel Switching Controller
Sony 1144KM427 – suspected AKM Magnetic Compass
Wolfson Micro WM1803E – Audio Codec
Qualcomm MDM6200 – Gobi Single-mode Modem
Qualcom PM8028 – Power Management IC
Toshiba TY890A111222KA - Mobile SDR SDRAM Memory
Kionix KXTC9 - Three-axis MEMS accelerometer
Avago ACPM-7868 - GSM Power Amplifier
Avago ACPM-5005 - W-CDMA Band V Power Amplifier Module
Avago ACPM-5001 - W-CDMA Band I Power Amplifier Module
Avago ACPM-5002 - W-CDMA Band II Power Amplifier Module
Avago ACPM-5008 - W-CDMA Band VIII Power Amplifier Module
EPCOS B7429 - SAW Duplexer
Sony CXM3555ER - SP10T Antenna Switch Module
Atmel MXT224 – 224-Channel Touchscreen Sensor
STMicroelectronics 32P10SOD
STMicroelectronics 3GA51H - Gyroscope

There, i highlighted the (seemingly) relevant components to the discussion. If you take a close look (and some people online, more knowledgeable than me surely have), youll find out that the hardware has capabilities similar to a the OUYA, all things considered.
Vita TV has a ARM Cortex A9 quad core processor, OUYA has a Tegra3 quad core processor, they are comparable (both have the same microarchitecure, which means Tegra3 has ARM Cortex A9's at its heart). Both have 1GB of ram memory (i believe the Vita has 512 ram + 128 vram, close enough), both have wifi, both output to HDMI (OUYA outputs 1080p, Vita outputs up to 1080i, which is inferior). The GPU is integrated into the main CPU's, of course.

And remember: poor Vita has to run all the hardware (including a display) off a measly 2200mah battery, whilst OUYA is a fully clocked Tegra3 with a huge ass fan on top of it, running off power mains. In that regard an OUYA -or any similar device- has the upper hand.

If games on the OUYA seem to have little eyecandy, its the developers fault. You can run Unity 3d on it, and it can pump out some impressive graphics in theory (Shadowgun is a good example of a decent looking game).
Still. I admit vita games running on the metal on a propietary game engine (as opposed to Unity, an engine not specific to Tegra3 or the OUYA, running on top of android) do look far more impressive (and probably are, in term of the raw measurements you mentioned).

But the underlying harware is similar.

He was built by the worlds finest surgeons to drive the fastest car ever designed and nothing can stop him now. ಠ_ృ
“The greatest misfortune is when theory outstrips performance.” - Leonardo DaVinci
Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1815 on: September 15, 2013, 03:47:06 PM »

Replace Julie with Kellee I say.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: September 15, 2013, 07:38:27 PM »

snip
Having similar feature is not the same as same raw power, my computer has superior feature than an old xbox but the raw power of the dreamcast, cannot do what the xbox does ...

@pompi
Well it's also in the unity docs you can check, I was taught that way before it though.

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1817 on: September 16, 2013, 12:17:53 AM »

Then the unity docs is meant for ignorant fools.

Master of all trades.
gggfhfdh
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: September 16, 2013, 02:06:45 AM »

Then the unity docs is meant for ignorant fools.
why yes, a program's help documents are usually there for people who don't know what they're doing
that's so good little buddy im so proud of you
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1819 on: September 16, 2013, 09:46:48 AM »

I am guessing you are unfamiliar with the term "context"?
I responded that to the fact that the Unity documents explain the under the hood of the GPU with something that is plain wrong.
Not that documents are not useful.

Master of all trades.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 94
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic