Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411629 Posts in 69392 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 11, 2024, 01:14:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralAll Purpose Animu Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 259
Print
Author Topic: All Purpose Animu Discussion  (Read 516725 times)
Daruman
Level 0

私は犬が大好きだよなぁぁ~

View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: December 03, 2012, 10:26:11 PM »

This one...what is it? I want to watch it.

Kilig: noun. It is the sudden feeling of an inexplicable joy one gets when something romantic or idealistic occurs. I don\'t think there\'s an English word or phrase for it. even Butterfly Stomach doesn\'t do justice to \"kilig\".
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2001 on: December 03, 2012, 10:28:29 PM »

Mind game.

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2002 on: December 03, 2012, 10:33:40 PM »

For suplementary purposes:

Ashkin
« Reply #2003 on: December 03, 2012, 10:33:52 PM »

-snip-
10/10

I finished watching Bakemonogatari. I'm not really sure what to make of it, but goshdarn is it stylish+pretty+nice-sounding.
Especially confused by all that red scene/black scene stuff. Does that have to do with the emotions going on during that part?
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2004 on: December 03, 2012, 10:40:24 PM »

The manbaby we all have inside deep in our anus is so proud.

nekokoneko
« Reply #2005 on: December 04, 2012, 08:50:40 AM »

Nisemonogatari at its finest.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: December 04, 2012, 08:54:35 AM »

The pain! The fury!

Lips Sealed Hey stop it, this one is fantastic, I apologize that the english "dub" totally kill it with hell burning fire but the french dub does have the whole mythological poetic epicness it deserve .... DONT RUIN MY CHILDHOOD!!!!!!  Cool

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2007 on: December 04, 2012, 09:03:01 AM »

I actually watched the Latin American dub, my mna. And you have to admit that technically speaking, the animationw as terrible often.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: December 04, 2012, 09:14:16 AM »

Well largely offset by great storytelling (even if the story is simple), great sense of timing (largely at loss in many modern anime), just plain charisma, great composition of frame, and great choregraphy overall (not bizarro complex animation fantasm style of choregraphy that border more mannerism than actual emotional composition). Totally aware of its limitation and play with it by putting emphasis on posing, rythm and pause. I would say IT IS good animation, ie actually convey a lot using every of the capacity available. Also the concept and design is insane and very clever. How it mixed mythology with sentai tropes was full of win, the whole concept of armor and their class is mind blowing to me.

The first time I watch that it was a revelation, It teach me timing is important, and that when I found something that could have been good and had good production value, more than often it was timing that was not great.

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2009 on: December 04, 2012, 05:09:00 PM »

AYG, I get what you're trying to say but I think you could have used better examples on both sides. Let's examine:

Well I'm not even going to get into the details of the oldschool anime you've posted, because it might be from the same period I'm talking about, but it's not even on the same level of production quality, popularity, and overall "classic" greatness of the anime I'm referencing, but maybe that wasn't really clear from my argument. Can you really say that Akira features sterile, lazy environments? Or that FotNS has bland, one-dimensional characters? Or that Golgo 13 was anything less than a moving story wrapped in some really avante-garde animation techniques for its time?

As for the new stuff, well, unless you can do better I'm not really convinced that it holds the same "spirit" or whatever as classic anime. For one, I feel that CG has largely killed anime. Even if 80s anime featured a very basic background, these were actual paintings, and there's a "life" that shines through in the nuance of each stroke that isn't really there in digital anime. And really, that might be my biggest problem with now VS then; we lost a lot more than you'd think in the switch from traditional/practical effects to modern ones. Just my opinion...

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2010 on: December 04, 2012, 05:19:59 PM »

The moe trend did kill anime for me, while I did enjoy lucky star (the first moe blob i'have seen and his in direct following of slice of life anime) it quickly turn into a blur as they start to all feel the same. BUT there is still nice anime being made, they are just harder to find behind the moe stuff and i'm just wary to look past the annoying moe stuff to find the good bit in the moe good. One lucky star is enough, more is overdose. And even non moe anime fall in the trap of ultra mangafication where they became too self referential to give a shit (say the man who like melancholy of haruhi but because of the genious out of order episode) ... Also new animator just don't have the touch some old master had ... they have skills but less flair, it's more about "manganime" tropes than storytelling!

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2011 on: December 04, 2012, 08:54:25 PM »

AYG, I get what you're trying to say but I think you could have used better examples on both sides.

I deliberatedly picked some terrible examples for each of my cases, for the sake of mirroring the mediocre meme picture you posted (choosing a high quality old school anime and a low quality modern one), specially when neither truly represent an average of what existed back then and what exists today. Hell, the sad thing is that everything I posted was mainstream from its era (Sailor Moon, Saint Seiya, Dai no Daibouken, Ghost Sweeper Mikami).

I can understand your gripe from CG, but truth of the matter, it has been one of the things that has helped keep the industry alive. Back in 1995 and such anime productions were obscenely expensive to produce, and they rarely got a large profit. Werent for Evangelion (both from a sociocultural and production standpoint), the whole industry could have banished.

Sure, there is mediocre stuff produced today, but that could have been said of any era. I could make a huge list of terrible anime of the past that I willed to endure just because it was animu lol. The important thing is to learn what great product has each era produced and enjoy it.

I must admit however, that as of late, I have moved to manga, probably because there is far less exectuive meddling, and I can read it at my own pace.

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: December 05, 2012, 01:36:11 PM »

phubans is just getting old. old people always think media from the era they grew up in is better. "you kids listen to trash, back in my day you could actually understand what the singer was singing!!!"

you won't win this debate, it's always going to be "but my mediocre examples are more accurate, your mediocre examples are just exceptions that don't represent the true greatness of the era!"
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 01:42:49 PM by Blademasterbobo » Logged

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: December 05, 2012, 07:28:52 PM »

I think there's enough variety in anime that whinging about moeshit is silly. If you don't like it, don't watch it - there's plenty of other stuff each season. This is a particularly bad season to be complaining about it given the different things that are on. I'm watching two romantic comedies, one sports show, a fantasy parody, a historical war story, two straight-up action shows, one cyberpunk, one near-future science fiction, futuristic fantasy gang battles, a magical battle revenge story, a post-apocalyptic drama, a fantasy/science fiction cross, and an Arabian Nights inspired fantasy. There are a couple of other decent shows on that I dropped just because I don't have time to watch everything.

Of these, one looks like generic moeshit, and it's actually quite good.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: December 05, 2012, 07:34:37 PM »

Come on you still have "the scene" and "the girl", btw manga is all about endless permutation of genre to give illusion of diversity, no modern manga belong to one genre only, you either have the sifi ecchi slice of life thriller, or the fantastic comedy ecchi, the aventure fantastic thriller, etc... and with the exact same tropes and structure from the genre they draw one, the character are either "how to draw manga" drop off, or "logo character" nonsense. I tried to look for something this year ... NOT! All of them look like I had seen them. They have quality, but it's quality from deriving and redoing the same shit over and over again. I'm burnt sorry.

ink.inc
« Reply #2015 on: December 05, 2012, 07:41:54 PM »

punpun
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: December 05, 2012, 07:47:16 PM »

Well I should have said: ANIME, it's hard to "find" the great from the "repeat" :||

Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: December 05, 2012, 08:02:45 PM »

No harder than any other medium, I think. How are you looking?
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: December 05, 2012, 08:19:51 PM »

How I'm supposed to look?
BTW there was more good anime just after my teen so no nostalgia, I do like some anime from my childhood, but they are only a few. BTW US series picked up quality when anime was dropping.
Nothing TOP GITS second season yet too, no movie top honneamisu, there is no ambitious project anymore it seems, except "visually" in some sort.
I just don't find them as easily has before.
No surprise != no quality

The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: December 05, 2012, 10:17:57 PM »

i got nothing against fist of the north star but the characters in it are pretty flat yo
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 259
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic