Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411640 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 07:03:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignThe Neverending Hybrid Game Design Game
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 61
Print
Author Topic: The Neverending Hybrid Game Design Game  (Read 148364 times)
dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: December 06, 2009, 04:04:50 PM »

Ludique:

Roguelike + "Art Game": you trawl round a randomly-generated dungeon killing randomly-generated monsters, and between each level a wall of text berates you for your senseless acts of violence and questions why you are playing such a pointless game anyway. As you progress deeper down the dungeon, the text becomes more intrusive and difficult to read, interspersing random quotes from Oscar Wilde and stoned musings on the nature of human-computer interaction. After a while the main barrier to further progress in the game is having to wade through all the text. You can't skip it. It just scrolls slowly past on a black background while a MIDI version of Erik Satie's gymnopedies plays in the background.

EDIT: I don't know why I put the above post in aa quote. I'm tired.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 05:42:46 PM by dbb » Logged

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 06, 2009, 04:58:01 PM »

Art Game + QWOP
Instead of controlling a person running, you control the life of a person. Every key does something different, and combination of certain keys can evolve into advanced events. A theme springs up, helped by names of levels and hints and such, of the randomosity and chaos of life itself.
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2009, 05:55:56 AM »

QWOP + Match 3

Instead of using the mouse to move pieces you control a weird arm with 20 different keys on the keyboard.

shig
« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2009, 06:49:53 AM »

Ludique:

Roguelike + "Art Game": you trawl round a randomly-generated dungeon killing randomly-generated monsters, and between each level a wall of text berates you for your senseless acts of violence and questions why you are playing such a pointless game anyway. As you progress deeper down the dungeon, the text becomes more intrusive and difficult to read, interspersing random quotes from Oscar Wilde and stoned musings on the nature of human-computer interaction. After a while the main barrier to further progress in the game is having to wade through all the text. You can't skip it. It just scrolls slowly past on a black background while a MIDI version of Erik Satie's gymnopedies plays in the background.

EDIT: I don't know why I put the above post in aa quote. I'm tired.

I can just imagine me playing it:

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED!
"Psychopathic monster": Kill a man for nothing but fun.
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2009, 07:14:06 AM »

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED- Shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.

QWOP + FPS

Control a sweaty nerd as he fumbles with his keyboard to score a kill in Counterstrike.
PANPOMMA
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2009, 10:53:39 AM »

FPS + JRPG

-Giant guns that shoot teenage apathy and/or futuristic weaponry powered by blood.

-Grind headshots to gain experience.

-Walls of terrible dialog about how the main characters don't want to save the world. One is a headstrong asshole, one is vomitingly cutesy, one may actually be over a hundred years old (looks eight), another may be a parody of African Americans or a transexual.

-High-Tech Cloud City Level.

-The main villain has silver hair and is so much more badass than you.

-Twist ending everyone is dead.

shig
« Reply #86 on: December 07, 2009, 12:55:01 PM »

everything horrible in the world + hell

Control a sweaty nerd as he fumbles with his keyboard to play QWOP
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: December 07, 2009, 02:20:32 PM »

I think we have a winner.
noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 07, 2009, 06:46:45 PM »

JRPG + Katamari

Roll up emo teenagers with spiky hair! Watch your katamari level up (try to reach Lv. 99)! Whine about how lonely you are, and how nobody loves you and how you're all alone in this earth, never realizing that your friends have never left your side; you just rolled them all up and now they're 3 meters deep in your stupid ball...
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: December 07, 2009, 11:48:56 PM »

Katamari + Roguelike

You start out tiny, fighting (and eating?) tiny enemies like bugs; once you get big enough, the grid halves in size and everything you see is bigger! The world is filled with 2x2, 4x4, 8x8 objects that will attack + kill you very quickly!

Also, giant objects. So, for example, spellbooks might be 8x bigger (3 size-ups' worth) than your starting size, scrolls might be 4x, etc, and you'd need to get bigger before you could even think of using them.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: December 08, 2009, 04:19:17 AM »

Katamari + Qwop

"Bump into stuff" the game

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
LiquidAsh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: December 08, 2009, 06:52:16 AM »

QWOP + Lode Runner

Move/blast left/right to dig downward through lode runner-esque levels that are randomly generated below you (think miner-dig deep with regular pockets of openness).  You have to dig fast enough to keep up with the scrolling view, but carefully avoid trapping yourself along the way.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 08, 2009, 07:11:03 AM »

That sounds awesome, Droqen.

Roguelike + Match-3

Actually, it's just Bejewelled with ASCII graphics.

JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 08, 2009, 09:44:09 AM »

Lode Runner + FPS

Absolutely impossible.

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: December 08, 2009, 09:58:18 AM »

Fighter + City Simulator: BATTLE MAYOR!
Build and manage a city, just like Sim City, except when the crime rate gets too bad you have the option to take to the streets and dish out some old-fashioned justice.
There was a news story recently here in London in which our comedy mayor Mr Johnston saved a woman from a gang of "youths" by chasing them off on his bicycle, so obviously some cycling would have to be involved, too

Final Fight 1 much? Tongue

I think Act Raiser 1 fits somewhat as well Tongue

Personally I would love to play as a wrstelr/boxing manager, where you arrange fights with other fighters through their managers, bribe people, pick trainers for your guys, level up their stats and send them to the combats. The actual management would be sim like while the actual combat would be like a rpg based brawler game.

shig
« Reply #95 on: December 08, 2009, 02:13:57 PM »

Power Stone + Final Fight

It's pretty much Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks or The Incredibles: Rise of the Underminer.

I just think we need more games like these, really. Those are the best to play with a friend by your side, y'know.
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: December 08, 2009, 02:21:02 PM »

I wholeheartedly agree with you- my friend and I spent hours on the Shaolin Monks demo alone.
shig
« Reply #97 on: December 08, 2009, 03:13:03 PM »

I am ashamed to say I pirated that game. Sad
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 10, 2009, 05:38:08 AM »

Final Fight + Roguelike

Brofist your partner and descend into a series of randomly generated sidescrolling caverns. Beat up demons, slimes and giant rats. Collect different weapons to increase your damage, speed and range. There's a certain kinship between the unwanted objects littering the floors of Nethack and the pick-up-and-throwable items of the arcade beat-em-up.

JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 10, 2009, 05:45:52 AM »

Roguelike + Dating sim

Wait.. that's spelunky.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 61
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic