Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411636 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: Danque_Birbington_II

May 13, 2024, 11:26:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Lyle [DONE]
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Lyle [DONE]  (Read 58822 times)
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: December 27, 2009, 06:41:48 AM »

Great work. Nothing to add.
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: December 31, 2009, 10:10:11 AM »

My girlfriend and I totally got sucked into playing Lyle in Cube Sector the past week and we've almost finished it (can't go any further now, since she doesn't like it when I play when she's not around). I started it quite a while ago but couldn't get around the steep difficulty curve, but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty awesome!
Anyway, I decided that he will by the next character I going to concentrate on (since I'm currently somewhat stuck on Nikujin - but I'll finish him eventually), so here we go with the first animation:

How should the summoning effect be done? I think a particle system would probably suit best, since he can also summon cubes while running and jumping, thus leaving a trail behind him.

Also it would be sweet if Lyle would carry cube items the same way as summoned ones, but I don't know how much effort that would be.
Anyway, I'm off to celebrate now - happy New Year to everyone!  Beer!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 10:17:35 AM by Rostiger » Logged

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: December 31, 2009, 11:01:44 AM »

Looks good. The nice thing about Lyle is that since most of his moves involve throwing, he won't require too many animations.

How should the summoning effect be done? I think a particle system would probably suit best, since he can also summon cubes while running and jumping, thus leaving a trail behind him.
I agree.

Also it would be sweet if Lyle would carry cube items the same way as summoned ones, but I don't know how much effort that would be.
Should be no effort at all. I think it's a great idea.

Blaizer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 31, 2009, 02:54:36 PM »

Since he can walk around with the massive cube, we'll need two walking animations. The normal one, and another one where he's holding up his hands like that.
Mogget
Level 1

Manbabysitter

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 01, 2010, 01:21:06 AM »

Also, that gives me an idea. Since Lyle's so focused on throwing, could he be given an actual holding animation? I don't think it would be too much work, since he doesn't need many others.

Hurray for shameless promotion!
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: January 01, 2010, 02:49:13 AM »

Should be no effort at all. I think it's a great idea.
Sweet!

Since he can walk around with the massive cube, we'll need two walking animations. The normal one, and another one where he's holding up his hands like that.
Yep, I've noted this already, shouldn't be much of a deal.

Also, that gives me an idea. Since Lyle's so focused on throwing, could he be given an actual holding animation? I don't think it would be too much work, since he doesn't need many others.
Do you mean a holding animation for items?
The problem I'd see with this is that you'll need all the regular animations (walking, jumping, idle, etc.) twice, once while holding the item and once without. Also in terms of coherency I think it would be better if the way items work (or are displayed) stays the same for every character (with the exception of the cubes - since both character and item are from the same game).

Also: the movelist in the first post doesn't seem to be finished. Any ideas for vA?

Clemens Scott
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 01, 2010, 02:57:11 AM »

What I did was make his A a quick punch, and his vA a low, sliding kick.
Mogget
Level 1

Manbabysitter

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 01, 2010, 05:16:55 AM »

I meant a "special" holding animation, only for the cubes. Even though his movement would have to be done twice, I don't think it would be that hard-just edit one arm to be like in the portrait.

Hurray for shameless promotion!
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: January 01, 2010, 07:15:51 AM »

What I did was make his A a quick punch, and his vA a low, sliding kick.
Aye, I missed that, thanks for the heads-up.

I meant a "special" holding animation, only for the cubes. Even though his movement would have to be done twice, I don't think it would be that hard-just edit one arm to be like in the portrait.
Yeah, I guess so, but personaly I prefer Lyle holding the cube like he does now in the throwing animation (above his head with both hands), because it's just closer to the original (which I grew to love quite a bit).

Fun fact: did you know that one of the music tracks in LiCS is a remix of the extremely tacky 80s track

? Go to the room left of the teleporter room and compare!  Durr...?

Clemens Scott
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 01, 2010, 07:26:08 AM »

how about a bit of a change to how lyle works-

thrown boxes do extra damage, but when he is holding a cube he can't do his specials? that way he only needs an extra walking+jumping animation for holding a cube, and makes him more suitable to his character in the game.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: January 01, 2010, 03:49:55 PM »

Do you mean a holding animation for items?
The problem I'd see with this is that you'll need all the regular animations (walking, jumping, idle, etc.) twice, once while holding the item and once without. Also in terms of coherency I think it would be better if the way items work (or are displayed) stays the same for every character (with the exception of the cubes - since both character and item are from the same game).
He'll need those animations anyways, since he can run and jump while summoning a cube. And I think it's okay for Lyle to be the exception here- he's based more around throwing items than any other character.

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: January 02, 2010, 03:56:32 AM »

Well, the question is if Lyle can summon cubes while he is holding a cube item (that the player picked up previously)?

Clemens Scott
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: January 02, 2010, 05:14:07 AM »

Also: Lyle summoning a cube:

I know, in the movelist it says he summons grey cubes, but I feel like the blue ones are closer to the original, even if it might be confusing with blue cube items. However, the color can easily be changed (even in-game I guess). Here's the effect without the character animation:

Also: particle party!

Clemens Scott
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 02, 2010, 09:27:26 AM »

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 02, 2010, 08:30:25 PM »

Looking good, both of you! The way he screws up his face while summoning a cube is really cute.

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: January 03, 2010, 01:32:15 AM »

Here's just a quick edit for the two running animations. In the regular walk cycle, the outline was dark gray instead of black and Lyle was still missing his ear:

I cleaned up the second walk cycle and added some details to conform with the regular walk cycle:

Also Lyle can jump now!

Clemens Scott
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 03, 2010, 06:44:00 AM »

ace  Hand Thumbs Up Left

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: January 03, 2010, 11:13:58 AM »

ace  Hand Thumbs Up Left

godsavant
« Reply #198 on: January 03, 2010, 11:30:59 AM »

These are great.

Just noticed the OP hasn't been updated in quite a while, though.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: January 03, 2010, 12:14:32 PM »

I'm pretty busy now, but I'll try to update all the OPs sometime soon-ish.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic