Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411637 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: Danque_Birbington_II

May 14, 2024, 04:38:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Lyle [DONE]
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Lyle [DONE]  (Read 58824 times)
Blaizer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 03, 2010, 09:25:10 PM »

Love it!
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 04, 2010, 12:57:00 AM »

Nice! As said, it's good to have you back Noir
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: January 04, 2010, 03:49:34 PM »

Thanks JLJac, when I have time, I'll always return to IB and try to push things forward a little bit, but because of other projects I'm often on hiatus in between.

Speaking of pushing thigns forward, here is a reworked idle animation for Lyle as well as throwing cubes down.

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: January 04, 2010, 04:44:29 PM »

Finishing off the day with my 500th post and Lyle getting his braincells smacked out:

Beer!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 12:31:32 AM by Rostiger » Logged

Clemens Scott
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: January 04, 2010, 05:01:39 PM »

Wow. Lyle's almost done.

I'm looking forward to adding all these new graphics.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 04, 2010, 10:39:18 PM »

Finishing off the day with my 500th post count and Lyle getting his braincells smacked out:

Beer!
Hand Thumbs Up Right

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: January 05, 2010, 03:12:35 AM »

More stuff coming up - Lyle idling while carrying a cube, as well as summoning a giant cube!

By the way, I saw that Lyle can actually summon other cubes while he is carrying the giant cube. It feels a bit awkward when playing and I'd suggest that he's only able to do one thing at a time. Maybe the loss in speed could be made up by tweaking other values like his attack strength?

Also I'm not quite clear on the low kick. The hitbox is currently somewhere around the height of his chest, while the move list suggests it should be on the ground and 'sliding'. Did you mean something like Naija's swipe kick? Or could we just go with a regular kick, similar to the original game?

Clemens Scott
Blaizer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 05, 2010, 05:13:29 AM »

I'd say go with the kick in the game.
shig
« Reply #208 on: January 05, 2010, 07:14:08 AM »

The cube summon looks awesome and I can't wait to play as him.

Maybe he should spread his legs a bit in the giant cube summoning animation. It kinda looks like he is crushed/squished and becomes smaller when the cube lands on him.

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: January 05, 2010, 10:13:40 AM »

Progress pace is starting to slow down again as real life catches up on me. However, here is Lyle walking slowly while carrying a giant cube:

« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 11:22:04 AM by Rostiger » Logged

Clemens Scott
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: January 05, 2010, 11:11:39 AM »

I know what you mean. I won't get a chance to work on IB until this weekend.

BTW, those sprites look great, as always.

By the way, I saw that Lyle can actually summon other cubes while he is carrying the giant cube. It feels a bit awkward when playing and I'd suggest that he's only able to do one thing at a time. Maybe the loss in speed could be made up by tweaking other values like his attack strength?
I think you're right about this.

Also I'm not quite clear on the low kick. The hitbox is currently somewhere around the height of his chest, while the move list suggests it should be on the ground and 'sliding'. Did you mean something like Naija's swipe kick? Or could we just go with a regular kick, similar to the original game?
I'm considering two possibilities:
-Make it a sliding kick (like it is now; the hitbox might be a bit off)
-Have him kick a gray cube, which slides along the ground until it hits a wall or goes off an edge. I think this could be a better implementation. Someone mentioned earlier that a sliding kick isn't true to Lyle, but this would certainly be. I just need to find time to implement it.

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: January 06, 2010, 12:49:35 PM »

This is how Lyle throws up!

I likely drew too many frames, making the animation a bit slow, so feel free to take out one at the warm-up or while throwing. Also I'm not 100% sure if the cube should be incorporated in the animation, so here's the same one without it:

Clemens Scott
shig
« Reply #212 on: January 06, 2010, 02:27:55 PM »

You've captured Lyle's style/atmosphere/character pretty much perfectly in all these animations you've been doing.

So, how's Lyle's coding going?
Blaizer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 06, 2010, 07:54:59 PM »

Does the cube have to spawn above his head? Couldn't it just spawn at the lowest point of where his hands go and he throws it straight up?
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: January 06, 2010, 08:37:19 PM »

So, how's Lyle's coding going?
It's more or less done. Check the latest build.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 07, 2010, 12:39:23 AM »

Does the cube have to spawn above his head? Couldn't it just spawn at the lowest point of where his hands go and he throws it straight up?
That makes sense for his A attacks, which summon and throw instantly, but he also has moves that summon a cube into his hands.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: January 07, 2010, 11:03:42 PM »

Rostiger, could you modify the sprites where Lyle holds his cube so that it stays at a constant height above his head? In the current sprites, he holds the cube a few pixels higher when he walks than when he idles, and there is no easy way to make that work.

Also, could you make another version of the throw animation for the giant cube, with Lyle standing winded briefly after throwing it?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 11:24:58 PM by Soulliard » Logged

shig
« Reply #217 on: January 08, 2010, 12:18:02 AM »

If you throw the giant cube straight up won't it fall at you afterwards? Also I don't think the huge cube would go very far when thrown, right? It would look weird to hit someone by throwing it upwards instead of just letting it fall and smash someone.
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: January 08, 2010, 03:05:54 AM »

Rostiger, could you modify the sprites where Lyle holds his cube so that it stays at a constant height above his head? In the current sprites, he holds the cube a few pixels higher when he walks than when he idles, and there is no easy way to make that work.

Also, could you make another version of the throw animation for the giant cube, with Lyle standing winded briefly after throwing it?

Sure, both shouldn't be a big of a deal. I'll look into it as soon as I get a chance.

If you throw the giant cube straight up won't it fall at you afterwards? Also I don't think the huge cube would go very far when thrown, right? It would look weird to hit someone by throwing it upwards instead of just letting it fall and smash someone.

The giant cube can only be thrown forward, not up- or downward, so those problems shouldn't occur.

Clemens Scott
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: January 08, 2010, 06:00:38 AM »

Alright, I updated the OP with a couple of edited animations:
When Lyle summons, throws, walks or idles with a regular cube his hands stay on the same level. Same goes for giant cubes, just that the level is a little bit lower (since the cube is heavier). I also added an idle animation when he's carrying the giant cube.

The only exception might be while jumping and falling with regular cubes - his hands might be off by a pixel or two - but I don't really think it'll be seen in-game. If it does look weird, I still can change it.

Another special case is summoning the giant cube - I just like how it falls down and he pushes the weight back up. If that turns out to be too cumbersome to implement you can always skip the last couple of frames.

So to recap Lyles sprite status, the following ones are still missing:

Throw giant cube
Giant cube particles
Punch
Kick
Summon shadow cube (can't we just use the regular summoning animation for this?)

If I missed anything, please let me know.

Clemens Scott
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic