Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 15, 2024, 01:55:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBattle in the Drum of Every Heart (brave class prototype! :O)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Battle in the Drum of Every Heart (brave class prototype! :O)  (Read 41151 times)
michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: December 20, 2008, 01:42:27 PM »

nitro ya, if you press down at anytime during the jump then you just do the stomp, but if you hit it within the last critical moment you do the wave attack to. that simplifies it and adds an element of risk because if you go for the wave attack theres a greater chance that you wont execute anything. good idea!

godsavant im thinking that it may still use a little blip, to prevent people from mindless constant tossing

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
salade
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 20, 2008, 07:20:38 PM »

liking the brave, but there should be some sort of a normal melee swing that takes no spirit, just so he is never truly helpless.
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 20, 2008, 07:24:48 PM »

liking the brave, but there should be some sort of a normal melee swing that takes no spirit, just so he is never truly helpless.
But he won't run out of spirit as long as he stays with the team.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 20, 2008, 07:28:36 PM »

I think slow spirit regen would make sense in this sort of context.
michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: December 20, 2008, 07:33:12 PM »

oh definitely spirit regen. so its impossible to be unable to attack. its just that if youre careless you'll suffer a slow attack rate

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: December 21, 2008, 02:35:07 AM »

im wary this generic rider idea, and the mounting/dismounting of various animals. this both adds a lot of complexity to the balancing and technical aspects of the game and waters down the tight simplicity of the game design, which is very important to me. my hope was to design this game around strong archetypes of the culture, boiling down details and elements into a rich and hearty broth. i dont know if i articulated my point very well.
I support your desire to make a simple, solid game rather than a game with a million components!

Does the brave a standard melee attack, Michael? Also since we're discussing attack moves, how do player collisions work? Can we pass through enemies, or do they act like bariers? Pardon me if you discussed these points earlier, I was unclear on the matter.

Brave- the tomahawk seems fun. Also for the whirl attack, how about this? It's an aerial version, and it damages anything within its largish radius. I'm imagining the attack lasts for most of the duration of the jump. I think this might be well suited for multiplayer.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 21, 2008, 03:59:45 AM »

Are you going to aim with the mouse? That will complicate things a little I think, and propably make it a bit harder to balance. Why not a classic platform movement? Also I thought the brave's standard attack was going to be short ranged...  Huh? Is this going to be a close range fighting game or more of a shooter?
michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: December 21, 2008, 11:05:27 AM »

whenever i try to imagine a basic short range attack for the brave i just get this vision of a big pile of people running around frantically, bumping into each other and swinging blindly. to me it seems like a such a close range attack would just make things garbled. there isnt enough resolution in this game to have a respectable close range combat system for the brave. for the chief it would work better because the spear is long and the combat would be similar to fencing because of the shield. but ya, for the brave, i felt like only having the ranged weapon would spread out the combat and allow more room for skill.

and concerning collision, i was thinking that you would pass through your team members but not your enemies.

godsavant
« Reply #128 on: December 21, 2008, 11:09:18 AM »

and concerning collision, i was thinking that you would pass through your team members but not your enemies.

SPY CHECKER.
michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: December 21, 2008, 11:29:18 AM »

ya, i think thats fine. it would make the situation of being completely invisible less cheap

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 21, 2008, 01:54:05 PM »

I still think you should have a distinct black outline when you camouflage, so that people can find you if they're really trying.

Maybe the cultivators could make a trap things that un-camouflages scouts?
Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 21, 2008, 08:47:12 PM »

I'm ending my lurking ways just to post here and tell you how great both the concept and art are for this game. I'm really looking forward to it and check this topic daily.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: December 22, 2008, 01:21:25 AM »

Maybe the cultivators could make a trap things that un-camouflages scouts?
A plant that periodically spits out spores that cover nearby enemies, not only making them visible but making them glow!

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: December 22, 2008, 02:26:09 AM »

whenever i try to imagine a basic short range attack for the brave i just get this vision of a big pile of people running around frantically, bumping into each other and swinging blindly ... i felt like only having the ranged weapon would spread out the combat and allow more room for skill.
This makes sense. So you're imagining a fair number of shortish range, but non-melee attacks?

I like the glowing idea. I think a specialized detector plant would be a little wobbly in an action game, so how about tacking the ability on to a plant with another primary function (such as cursing opponents or firing like a turret)? Just stack the anti-stealth effect with the plant's primary attack.
FishyBoy
Level 7

Make like a tree and get the hell out of here

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 22, 2008, 06:44:33 AM »

I have a few quick questions.

5. hold down left and right key + attack two swing around in a close range whirl attack. this move could possibly be continuous, ending only when the player releases the mouse or spirit runs out.
If two whirls collide, do both players get damaged, or do both just fly back a bit?

Also, if you throw a tomahawk at someone who's whirling, does it cancel his whirl?

Actually, I think it'd be pretty neat if you could deflect small projectiles like the Scout's arrows by whirling.
Robotacon
Pixelhead
Level 3

Story mode

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 22, 2008, 06:50:49 AM »

I love this project. Everything with platformer and team in it has a core of pure win.
With that said, this game need a "simple" prototype for play testing.
Team based games demand testing and shouldn't be overly designed in advance.
michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: December 22, 2008, 08:14:15 AM »

agreed, im going to get right on that as soon as this yoyo game competition is over. so sorry to keep people waiting, but progress will occur! Beer! feel free to continue discussing crap thought

salade
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 22, 2008, 02:58:19 PM »

regarding scouts stealth: how does it work? can he blend into anything or just certain backrounds?
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: December 22, 2008, 03:01:08 PM »

Makes me wonder... has anyone made a game where you go on a vision quest?

This game looks like it could be pretty awesome. Have you done any concrete programming work on it yet?

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: December 22, 2008, 03:19:16 PM »

Makes me wonder... has anyone made a game where you go on a vision quest?
King of Dragon Pass. But they kind of sucked, and kept me from finishing the game.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic