Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411712 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58456 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 21, 2024, 12:48:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignGames as art (expending the expressive range of game design)
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17
Print
Author Topic: Games as art (expending the expressive range of game design)  (Read 30566 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: October 22, 2011, 10:31:55 AM »

bebop (which the charlie parker tune you posted falls into) is actually quite structured. there are fixed themes and improvised solos, the piece is based around a chord progression and the chords being played by the pianist limit which notes the soloist can play. it's pretty straightforward really.

imposes even more structure.

just as an aside, i think people tend to overintellectualize jazz. it's a shame that the music has been pretty much degraded to a "status symbol" and most people just PRETEND to like it because they think it makes them look "profound" or w/e. same happened with classical music.
mirosurabu
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 22, 2011, 10:45:17 AM »

all art is simulation/representation

Sports simulate war. In the original context, this is relevant, because video games don't bring much new other forms don't.

because those activities are real while videogames are simulated

They are not "real" activities (ffs, I already gave you examples of real acitivities), they are GAMES, games that are not computerized.

I guess wanting to hear more of music that interests me more makes me a robot then.

Dude, I'm not considering the music in the context of "fooling around" at a dance club. That'd be like saying "this comedy movie kind of sucks, but it'd be good to watch when you're fooling around with friends, so it's great!"

You're misunderstanding me by huge margin. First, music is objective, and second, you're misinterpreting me regarding dancing and I'm too tired to bother explaining why. You should be able to read between lines sometimes. Regarding your take on Charlie Parker - the point was that Charlie Parker is selfish dude. Further, jazz music wouldn't be jazz music if there were no selfish/self-expression motives. The fact that you went on to decide that you prefer Charlie Parker even though you don't like him is a tangent, a hilarious one, one that simply shows that you judge things like a robot.
mirosurabu
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 22, 2011, 10:47:55 AM »

makes them look "profound" or w/e.

I said profound before putting that Charlie Parker link (was thinking more about modal and fusion jazz). I can't make sense out of his music yet, as I already said on another thread, but it makes a decent point anyways (except from profoundness).

Might as well apply to "formless", but then, the point still remains in that bebop broke conventions back then and established its own form (which is exactly what great deal of artgames TRY to do). Also, in this sense, very few genres are truly formless, if any.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 10:58:30 AM by mirosurabu » Logged
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 22, 2011, 11:32:33 AM »

well, modal jazz and free jazz tried reducing the fixed structures to a minimum and let improvisation take the center stage. the modal guys abandoned fixed chord progressions and based their "compositions" around modes instead (hence the name).

went even further and ditched the piano, and with it chords, altogether. ornette also emphasized collective improv over individual soloists taking turns, as was common during the bop era.

(aka "free improvisation") tries to be literally formless, i.e. consciously avoid conventional musical forms and structures. the problem is that avoiding form sort of becomes its own form. also the music sounds really dry and boring 99% of the time.

lol i just realized that all of this is only tangentially related to the topic. i just love rambling about music, sorry.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 11:39:24 AM by C.A. Sinclair » Logged
DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 22, 2011, 02:26:27 PM »

Sports simulate war. In the original context, this is relevant, because video games don't bring much new.

I'll get back to you on this in a bit, I'll have to think about that some more. Right now I want to say that sports are simply a transmuted and sublimated form of war, not a simulation of it, but don't quote me on that just yet (or, well, do if you want to.)

They are not "real" activities (ffs, I already gave you examples of real acitivities), they are GAMES, games that are not computerized.

Games are a subset of activities. You probably get what I meant, anyway.

You're misunderstanding me by huge margin. First, music is objective, and second, you're misinterpreting me regarding dancing and I'm too tired to bother explaining why. You should be able to read between lines sometimes. Regarding your take on Charlie Parker - the point was that Charlie Parker is selfish dude. Further, jazz music wouldn't be jazz music if there were no selfish/self-expression motives.

We were discussing whether engagement and enjoyment are good criteria for art or not and I was saying how the best jazz I've listened to (mostly fusion tbh) was more engaging than trance, so if anything this is a tangent. But if this is in response to what I was saying earlier about how "self-expression" isn't an explicit goal great artists set for themselves, I'll modify that a bit to clarify; it isn't a specific distinguishing quality of great art, and it isn't a necessary goal either. Every action a person does is an expression of himself, even if it's an expression of their flaws; great art is created with an artist's genuine talent, discipline, effort, and intelligence, not by purely aiming for self-expression or trying to express something. Some of the greatest art seen in human history was created without any explicit intent for self-expression or any specific aim to create "art," just by a talented artist working at his craft and doing what he did best (many times creating great works just for money, or to entertain important people with high tastes, etc.) Given these things, I can't really endorse the whole "self-expression is what art is about" undercurrent which many people have pushed in all the artgame threads I've read here.

And music isn't "objective" by any stretch of the imagination. There's nothing "objective" about judging music either, just like there isn't anything "objective" about judging any other art (the entire concept of "objectivity" inherently precludes judgements.) You can already see this here just by how you've been trying to tell me that the trance song you posted is more engaging (interesting, immersive, absorbing, etc.; substitute any synonym you want if it makes my position make more sense to you) than the jazz one, and I thought the exact opposite. It's just that music requires more specialized terminology, and it's a bit harder to "pin down" in language what you specifically liked or disliked about it than stuff like movies, novels, paintings, games, etc. I remember C.A. Sinclair saying something in the past about how a lot of music critics feel this way too, and as a result just end up talking vaguely about lyrics and imagery instead of, well, the actual music.

The fact that you went on to decide that you prefer Charlie Parker even though you don't like him is a tangent, a hilarious one, one that simply shows that you judge things like a robot.

Uh, I said I preferred him in comparison to the trance song you linked, and gave basic reasons why. Every single judgement I have made about his song was in comparison to the other trance song, usually using words like "more" or "longer" (relative comparisons.) Preference is obviously relative; you can prefer something you're ambivalent towards in comparison to something you dislike, if you have to choose between the two things, and you can still say why you like this thing more than that thing ("dislike less" if you want, it's the same thing anyway.) "Robot" comparison is still as funny as ever, though!

(aka "free improvisation") tries to be literally formless, i.e. consciously avoid conventional musical forms and structures. the problem is that avoiding form sort of becomes its own form. also the music sounds really dry and boring 99% of the time.

So I guess this would be the corresponding "artgame movement" in jazz, then? =P

Quote from: C.A. Sinclair
lol i just realized that all of this is only tangentially related to the topic. i just love rambling about music, sorry.

Don't worry about it, the main topic here keeps changing every page anyway. Wink
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 03:38:37 PM by DavidCaruso » Logged

Steel Assault devlog - NES-style 2D action platformer: successfully Kickstarted!
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 22, 2011, 02:43:41 PM »

I remember C.A. Sinclair saying something in the past about how a lot of music critics feel this way too, and as a result just end up talking vaguely about lyrics and imagery instead of, well, the actual music.
Just to clarify, this is mainly a problem with critics who write about rock and pop music.

I agree that music is probably THE most subjective art form. Yeah, I know it's about "evoking emotions" and what not, but it's often unclear WHICH emotions a piece of music is even supposed to evoke. For instance, I think Nick Drake's

album is pretty damn depressing but I know people who find it hopeful and uplifting.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 02:59:12 PM by C.A. Sinclair » Logged
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #306 on: October 22, 2011, 04:49:27 PM »

i think that's cause we're visual beings more than auditory beings; most of the fine arts are at least in part visual (theater, movies, sculpture, painting, videogames, etc.) -- and while novels aren't visual (except in the sense that markings on a paper are visual), they evoke pictures in your head through language. with music there's nothing presented to the visual field at all, unless you count the new art of music videos

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: October 22, 2011, 04:54:39 PM »

with music there's nothing presented to the visual field at all, unless you count the new art of music videos
well there's music with lyrics. but even that is more abstract than a painting, novel, movie etc.
mirosurabu
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 22, 2011, 05:28:54 PM »

the best jazz I've listened to (mostly fusion tbh) was more engaging than trance

Fusion is good. I like it quite a lot. Smiley I like it more than trance. However, I do feel trance is more "fun" and when I say "fun" I mean it's better suited as a leisure activity. It's comfy, it's instant, it's powerful and it's consistent when it comes to needs it targets, whereas fusion is selfish and requires quite a lot of investment and if you're lucky and that is, if you can relate to artist and like what you see, you discover something really interesting, else, you get a bummer.

Jazz is a music for curious people, and it's better suited as a hobby a.k.a. "higher goals". Though, some jazz is comfy too i.e. not quite jazzy. It's mostly earlier jazz, smooth jazz and nu-jazz, but there is some comfy fusion too.

Most interesting thing about it is that when the initial "magic" disappears (which is inevitable, I hope you'll agree), you're left with comfy music that you.. expect to be fun, but given it's not crafted to be fun in the first place, you have to skip through the song to find sections that are fun. Weird that I found myself doing this at times.

The distinction is an important one I think, and I'm pretty sure almost every jazz musician will agree with me. You do know many jazz cats consider it music for musicians, right?

It's also worth noting that if something is uncomfortable it does not mean it's more than "fun". It's just that if something is comfy it's at best just "fun".

Games are a subset of activities. You probably get what I meant, anyway.

You were trying to put a wall around video games. Take your time and think through it. I already did that and found that there is no way you can separate sports from games, they are same.

So I guess this would be the corresponding "artgame movement" in jazz, then? =P

Nah. Only a very small subset of artgames is avant-garde. The rest is just trying to deal with different topics and do whatever they want to do while disregarding conventions. This is almost exactly what jazz musicians do.

And music isn't "objective" by any stretch of the imagination

You're missing the point. Music IS objective. It's physical, you know, it has properties that everyone can agree about. We can agree on chords, harmony, percussion, texture, structure, rhythm, etc etc. There is something called "music theory" which deals with this. This is the objective side of music. Now when you listen to it, it comes in contact with subjective side of things, which is made out of one's needs, values, expectations, biases, the way one is listening to music and so on. (in other news, I've been working on music simulation game which simulates fanbases, so I thought about this quite a lot Cheesy)

Now the problem is that you have consistently denied the subjective layer (not necessarily entirely). I'll touch upon this later.

"Robot" comparison is still as funny as ever, though!

It shouldn't be funny at all dude. You listened to two songs for like less than a minute, didn't like them, and then you chose one simply because you spent a couple of seconds more on it. Lame.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 05:43:12 PM by mirosurabu » Logged
mirosurabu
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 22, 2011, 05:35:43 PM »

album is pretty damn depressing but I know people who find it hopeful and uplifting.

If both hopefulness and depression are intertwined in the piece, then I can see why.

But, in response to David, I didn't think one should only focus on subjective.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 05:44:29 PM by mirosurabu » Logged
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: October 22, 2011, 05:44:17 PM »

It's probably both but that wasn't the point.

Anyway, most fusion is pretty bland. I absolutely adore early fusion from the 60s and 70s by people like Miles Davis, Tony Williams, Herbie Hancock, (some) Weather Report, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Klaus Doldinger etc. but they're swimming in a sea of smug, nerdy guys playing endless noodly solos.

Also re: smooth ""jazz:"" Someone should cut off Kenny G's flowing locks and strangle him with them.
mirosurabu
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 22, 2011, 06:27:45 PM »

You just jealous cause he has all the chicks.
Also, you're a snob.  Giggle
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: October 22, 2011, 06:36:03 PM »

Also, you're a snob.  Giggle
Dude I have several shelves full of CDs and LPs as well as like 200 gigs of MP3s. It comes with the trade.  Cool

I wouldn't hate Kenny G as much as I do if he wasn't such a pretentious dickbag.

Another song of theirs is called "Perfume Of A Critic's Burning Flesh."
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 06:44:56 PM by C.A. Sinclair » Logged
mirosurabu
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: October 22, 2011, 06:57:35 PM »

I hope you didn't

. Giggle
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: October 22, 2011, 06:58:48 PM »

Speaking of music

I put that here so I can bait moi into a oneliner

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #315 on: October 22, 2011, 08:10:26 PM »

Er, as I understand it the basis of Plato's form theory is that the ideal Forms don't actually exist in reality. They're objective, singular, static concepts of perfection. For a videogame, there would be only one ideal Form despite there being millions of videogames in the world, just like there's only one ideal Form of a table despite there being millions of tables of different shapes, sizes, and ornamentation in the world. So if you're going by Plato then the "craftsmen" are actually getting closer to approximating the ideal Form of a videogame over time than the "artists" are. Also, there's no such thing as a truly "new" idea, etc.

Yes, that's the idea of form theory, that there is an extra-mental perfect object for every thing. I could lead you on a inductive proof to demonstrate why art cannot 'exist' in one Platonic ideal form (one painting, one sculpture, one movie, one videoartgame, but a quick sanity check is much easier - if there was one Ideal Videogame, you would need to play a second video game like you need to eat off of two tables.
If you want the inductive version, I encourage you to formulate your own and present these seeds for your formulation - a table is not a stool, yet both (if different styles) can have the same dimensions and properties, but both are furniture. A car is not a truck, but both are automobiles - and a sedan and a racecar are also different things, yet both are cars.

Your throw-away argument of 'there's no such thing as a truly "new" idea' is patently false. New ideas - new Forms - are made all the time. If you require absolute historical proof, I refer you to the reaction of North American Indians upon seeing European sailing ships - if sails were not a truly new idea, then why did the North Americans not grasp their function and form upon seeing them?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 08:16:27 PM by starsrift » Logged

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: October 23, 2011, 12:10:12 AM »

I feel that this music discussion should have its own topic... I would not like to participate here.

DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 24, 2011, 07:50:47 PM »

However, I do feel trance is more "fun" and when I say "fun" I mean it's better suited as a leisure activity. It's comfy, it's instant, it's powerful and it's consistent when it comes to needs it targets, whereas fusion is selfish and requires quite a lot of investment and if you're lucky and that is, if you can relate to artist and like what you see, you discover something really interesting, else, you get a bummer.

I think the issue here is that I've been using the word "fun" in a different sense than you have then. When I talk about fun, I don't mean in the sense of something frivolous, comforting, or (in the specific case of music) catchy; if I'm enjoying something and I want to keep doing it, then it's fun for me, and that can apply to complex things that I take seriously or require effort too. I can't really say that frivolous and comforting things make better leisure activities, either; I mean, I'm sure they do for some people, but then you have people whose favorite leisure activities are things like rock climbing.

Also, what's the difference between a leisure activity and a hobby? A hobby is "a regular activity or interest that is undertaken for pleasure, typically done during one's leisure time." If you mean that you have to take jazz more seriously than trance to enjoy it to the fullest extent possible then sure, but many of the most enjoyable things out there are appreciated best when taken seriously; that doesn't mean they're not fun anymore (in fact, they become more fun.)

Most interesting thing about it is that when the initial "magic" disappears (which is inevitable, I hope you'll agree), you're left with comfy music that you.. expect to be fun, but given it's not crafted to be fun in the first place, you have to skip through the song to find sections that are fun. Weird that I found myself doing this at times.

Sure. I think the "magic" disappearing as we become more accustomed to something new is a part of every artform, but at the same time, not liking everything means that what you do like you usually appreciate and enjoy a lot more.

You're missing the point. Music IS objective. It's physical, you know, it has properties that everyone can agree about. We can agree on chords, harmony, percussion, texture, structure, rhythm, etc etc. There is something called "music theory" which deals with this. This is the objective side of music. Now when you listen to it, it comes in contact with subjective side of things, which is made out of one's needs, values, expectations, biases, the way one is listening to music and so on. (in other news, I've been working on music simulation game which simulates fanbases, so I thought about this quite a lot Cheesy)

Music is "objective" in that it has structure, rhythm, etc. yeah, but that wasn't really what I meant. What I was focusing on is judging music (which I should have probably clarified more), which, well, is inherently subjective. The same thing applies for other artforms, e.g. painting has color, form, etc., movies have cinematography, plot, etc., which are all "objective" qualities that still affect each individual differently. I don't think we're really disagreeing on this, it's just that I find certain types of reasons for liking something more useful or intelligent than others.

It shouldn't be funny at all dude. You listened to two songs for like less than a minute, didn't like them, and then you chose one simply because you spent a couple of seconds more on it. Lame.

It was more like a minute vs. 5 minutes. Even if I only had a 30 second sample of each I think I'd still be able to say the part of one song that I heard sounds more interesting to me than the other, though.

Also, I'm going to answer this post from a little bit back from the whole "maturity" part of the discussion, because I think I can fully communicate why I feel the way I do about the issue now:

But it's kind of strange to say that something can be less mature because it has simpler gameplay.

It might sound a bit strange, but basically, what it comes down is the age-old issue of form vs. content. The coat of paint the creator puts over something, vs. the meat of the creation. In movies, the form is the cinematography, and the actual content is the plot. In novels, the form is the word choice, diction, etc., and the content is...plot again. In games, the form is the aesthetics (audiovisuals, story, etc.), and the content is the mechanics, level design, etc. (basically the rules which actually affect the possibility space of the game.) When people praise something for being "mature," they're always talking about its content being mature, not its form. If I say a movie or novel is mature, I'm talking about the maturity of the plot, the psychology of the characters, etc., not the visuals or the wordplay. But for some reason, when it comes to videogames people are willing to call a game mature based solely on the form, even if its content absolutely blows. It's a result of the same "thinking of games like movies" mentality I've been mentioning throughout this thread. Usually, you'll see people's lists of most "mature" games consisting of JRPGs, "artgames," and maybe an Ico or SoTC thrown in somewhere (though those two games don't blow, but you get the point; their main appeal to most people is in their form/aesthetics.) The equivalent in the movie industry would be a critic praising The Spirit as the most mature movie ever because its art direction was so dark and gritty.

Your throw-away argument of 'there's no such thing as a truly "new" idea' is patently false. New ideas - new Forms - are made all the time. If you require absolute historical proof, I refer you to the reaction of North American Indians upon seeing European sailing ships - if sails were not a truly new idea, then why did the North Americans not grasp their function and form upon seeing them?

Every idea is derived from and related to a previous one. From a viewer's perspective, any idea we haven't been exposed to before is "new," but we come to understand these new ideas we don't understand by relating them to previous things that we can understand. In the Native Americans' case, the sails would have to be explained to them and related to the watercraft they already knew ("this is like one of your kayaks, but the sails help it move in the wind.") The same also applies with the perspective of a creator (an artist.) Even if I'm a three-year-old making a simplistic crayon drawing of a monster, my ideas are still derived from somewhere; for example, if I give the monster four arms and four legs, I took the concept of "arms" and "legs" from somewhere (namely, my generalizations about other people around me as well as observations about my own body), and that number came from somewhere too (namely, my recognition that having two arms and two legs is a normal characteristic of a human whereas having four of each is an abnormal characteristic fitting of a monster.) Every idea is derivative to some extent, and so is every creation; trying to say that art is about "rejecting conformity" not only seems false to me but also kind of insulting to some of mankind's most revered artists, especially given the connotation that the "art" label evokes (as well as the issue I mentioned before, that if you use "rejecting conventions" as a criteria for how artistic something is then the first artworks ever created are also always the most artistic ones because conventions barely existed at that time.) If you want to truly make something great then you don't simply reject conventions, you build on them and push them further through experimentation ("refinement.")

Steel Assault devlog - NES-style 2D action platformer: successfully Kickstarted!
XRA
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #318 on: October 26, 2011, 06:37:47 PM »

I like what you're saying, but I'd say that mechanics and level design + related rules that govern the game can be form as well, or in some ways even flipped with aesthetics and story being the content.  I'm a little skeptical on content in games being necessary. It certainly helps give a sense of meaning and relatedness, but the idea of the mechanics, level design, rules etc being the things that give meaning to the game (or simply the interaction taking place), rather than purely the content involved, is something that excites me the most, and probably seems the most far-fetched in general.  
I like to think that the more a game can express/communicate meaning through other routes, more in line with mechanics, and outside of specifically showing/telling in conventional ways, the better the game.

mirosurabu
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 26, 2011, 06:47:34 PM »

Alright. I guess I completely went off-topic with that jazz rant. Can't really remember where I was trying to get at. WTF

Also, what's the difference between a leisure activity and a hobby?

There is no dictionary difference.

My point was this:

There is raw fun, a sort of fun that you crave when you get tired of doing serious stuff and want to relax/release yourself. Being serious in this case is out of question.

Then there is hobby, which is similar, but with added level of seriousness on top of it. The fun you get out of hobby varies, but its often different to raw fun. Most of the niche music isn't quite exactly fun, for example. It can be engaging, but in a different way.

In games, the form is the aesthetics (audiovisuals, story, etc.), and the content is the mechanics, level design, etc. (basically the rules which actually affect the possibility space of the game.)

For me, the most important thing in video games are the options you as a player have and how game world responds to them (or how they impact the world). The underlying system does not have to be complex, it's enough that options are dealing with topic in an interesting way.

It's not arguable that Heavy Rain lacks in this area anyways.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic