Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 11:46:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsM.I.N.T (Mecha, Infantry, and Tactics)
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 26
Print
Author Topic: M.I.N.T (Mecha, Infantry, and Tactics)  (Read 70649 times)
Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #340 on: October 29, 2013, 11:36:48 PM »

I suppose the biggest question for me at the moment, is if to make it touch friendly or not. I had originally envisioned tool tips and such providing lots of detailed info when desired and so forth, but that wouldn't translate well to touch at all, if we ever put the game on tablet.

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 29, 2013, 11:38:38 PM »

You could always do: hold a button for tooltip, tap to push it.

migrafael
Level 3

Making games, two at a time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #342 on: October 30, 2013, 01:17:02 AM »

This looks crisp. Amazing. Can't wait to see how it will play int the end

On STEAM »
Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #343 on: October 30, 2013, 09:47:55 AM »

New video showing off the isometric unit renderer in work, but also of the tweaked mech walk cycle.

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #344 on: October 30, 2013, 01:32:04 PM »

Still tweaking the mech movement as well =_= really is a pain Smiley

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #345 on: October 31, 2013, 09:28:56 PM »

You could always do: hold a button for tooltip, tap to push it.

Interesting idea, thanks.
Still working on HUD design, and some more mech tweaks. Interface design really is so important, especially the cursor side of things to.

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #346 on: November 03, 2013, 01:03:05 PM »

So expect things to slow down again. Life is pissing on us some again.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 07:26:17 AM by Gregg Williams » Logged

08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #347 on: November 03, 2013, 01:11:15 PM »

i love this pixels

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #348 on: November 20, 2013, 11:24:37 AM »

Well things are still pretty hit and miss at the moment, but we did manage to circle around and update the heavy mech walk cycle a bit more :D I'm really looking forward to lighter mechs that don't have this problem. We so shoulda just not worried about it or made mechs skate/moonwalk like crazy like every other mech strategy game. (I'm looking at you Front Mission)

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #349 on: November 21, 2013, 12:07:19 AM »

Oh well really reworked things a half a dozen more times. It's frakking perfect now though. Smiley

http://retromite.com/WalkMix7.mp4

Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #350 on: November 21, 2013, 11:08:31 AM »

Seems really jittery/sliding still.

To really lock the feet down you just don't move the object forward on a foot plant. It feels like you're trying to cover too much distance with a slow moving walk cycle. You either need to speed up the walk cycle in order to get the right amount of steps needed (think a small dog taking many steps to cover a short distance), or you need to lengthen the gait of the walk itself.

You can get away with maybe a couple of pixels sliding forward during the stepping but you definitely should freeze the movement when the foot is coming down and firmly planting.

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: November 21, 2013, 04:54:57 PM »

To really lock the feet down you just don't move the object forward on a foot plant. It feels like you're trying to cover too much distance with a slow moving walk cycle. You either need to speed up the walk cycle in order to get the right amount of steps needed (think a small dog taking many steps to cover a short distance), or you need to lengthen the gait of the walk itself.

You can get away with maybe a couple of pixels sliding forward during the stepping but you definitely should freeze the movement when the foot is coming down and firmly planting.

Amen to what Konidias said. Looks like just before what should be a last foot step is the jitter. Looking very fun tho!

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #352 on: November 21, 2013, 05:03:43 PM »

Thanks for the feedback guys, question is this from the YouTube link or the mp4 vid?

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #353 on: November 21, 2013, 06:12:07 PM »

Now working with the new unit renderer, composed of 6 parts/layers. Exhaust fumes turned off currently due to lack of idle animations Smiley

AlphaPlus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: November 21, 2013, 06:29:24 PM »

I can back this up. It's a mech step, not a moonwalk. Especially since it's robotic, Koni said it perfectly. (this is the latest one, mp4 I believe, that I'm referencing)

Now working with the new unit renderer, composed of 6 parts/layers. Exhaust fumes turned off currently due to lack of idle animations Smiley

What feature is this highlighting exactly?

For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been'.
Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #355 on: November 21, 2013, 06:43:07 PM »

I can back this up. It's a mech step, not a moonwalk. Especially since it's robotic, Koni said it perfectly. (this is the latest one, mp4 I believe, that I'm referencing)

Thanks for the feedback as well. I generally agree that there is a tad bit of slide there, but I don't think we're going to put any more cycles into this at the moment, need to keep momentum going forward and not get bogged down to heavily in polish at this early stage. We're also hard pressed to find any strategy games with mechs that really do it better, although if anyone knows of some I'd love to see them. Front Mission tends to just 100% slide either completely (no walk at all) as well as with mechs that actually have a walk cycle.

I might play with at some point doing movement deltas tied to each animation frame, though this tends to be tricky to accomplish well, unless you start getting into dedicated ending animations as well due to it being easy to arrive at a destination mid animation cycle, etc.

What feature is this highlighting exactly?

Nothing in particular. Just progress, every unit we want to bring into the game, has to be converted into parts correctly to allow for visual customization. This hummer for instance has multiple tire options, weapon options, etc.

AlphaPlus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: November 21, 2013, 08:28:02 PM »

Nothing in particular. Just progress, every unit we want to bring into the game, has to be converted into parts correctly to allow for visual customization. This hummer for instance has multiple tire options, weapon options, etc.

That's kinda what I thought...it looks like it's working Tongue

For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been'.
Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #357 on: November 22, 2013, 10:34:05 AM »

Alright another revision on mech walking, this time with a new movement system in place.

http://retromite.com/NewMechWalk.mp4

This is where it really stops though Smiley Thanks again Konidias, and all.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 10:43:15 AM by Gregg Williams » Logged

qpreik
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #358 on: November 22, 2013, 10:52:00 AM »

I'd just like to say I really like the look and style of the game so far!

Five Archers Corporation
Currently working on Battletank: L.O.B.A.
Silvermaan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: November 22, 2013, 02:50:46 PM »

Looks spectacular. Hope all your dev stuff works out alright, because I'm really looking forward to seeing more of this game in action.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 26
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic