Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411641 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 04:56:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1453118 times)
Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: July 24, 2013, 04:56:42 AM »

Quoting some stuff is not that hard Wink Thank JLJac for his openness and efforts to explain his wonderful work. Thank you, JLJac! Grin
Please prioritize your game over tutorials Smiley I want to play this game ^^
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: July 24, 2013, 09:39:37 AM »

Gentleman

Update 152
Added lizard respawning. It doesn't sound much, but the game is getting complex, so there's a ton of things to think about when doing something like this, that "breaks" the game's original mechanics. A lot of things need to be handled, such as spears stuck in the lizard's body when it dissapears and so on.

After dying the lizard lingers for a bit, before starting to produce smoke. After a while there's enough smoke (hopefully) to cover the lizard's body, at which point it can dissapear without it looking too ugly. I'm not too concerned about the way it looks, as lizards dissapearing isn't canon to the game world, it's just a fun feature for multiplayer.

Fateful to my tradition of ugly hacks the lizard will teleport to the bottom of the map, where the falling damage code will kick in, so I only have to write the respawn stuff once. The alternative would be setting up some kind of function that I'd call from both the death-by-damage scenario and from the falling-out-of-the-map scenario, but as no-one but me will ever see the code this horrible solution seemed more convinient  Tongue

I also added another setting for multiplayer, which disallows players from hiding in their holes; they're spat right out again. And I added a counter that keeps track of how long players have been alive during a match. Good for settling draws. These features will be fun for a new game mode I've been contemplating - Survival. Survival won't be about catching flies, but will pit the players against each other and respawning lizards, without allowing them to hide in their holes, and the player that stays alive the longest wins.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: July 25, 2013, 01:37:35 AM »

Update 153
The dantesque journey through the 700 circles of UI hell continues. This time I managed to tackle most of the functionality for the sandbox mode menu. Sandbox will be a game mode that's extremely customizable, so that you can fight whatever lizards you want, under whatever conditions you want. It's a lot of fun to set up different insane challanges, such as trying to fend of 4 respawning red lizards without being allowed to hide in your hole.
pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #543 on: July 25, 2013, 01:47:01 AM »

That dantesque journey sounds all too familiar haha.

Sounds great, though. Sandbox mode will support multiplayer, right? Would be fun to test your mettle against others in insane challenges.

Also, does "whatever conditions you want" include setting what weapons are at your disposal? Going to set it up so that there's only one rock that you have to fight over to survive haha.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 02:08:48 AM by johnki » Logged

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: July 27, 2013, 04:29:34 AM »

Yeah, sandbox is a multiplayer game mode. But you can fire it up by yourself as well, just to try something out. Weapon settings are limited to spears on or spears off, if you choose spears off all spears will be replaced by rocks.

Update 154
Kill indicators:

It's the same for lizards, the little cross will be the color of the lizard you offed. This is limited to custom mode, in world mode you won't see it.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #545 on: July 28, 2013, 12:44:39 PM »

Update 155
Made portraits for the lizards for selecting them in the sand box mode menu.

Since I've already given up on keeping this devlog spoiler free, here are their descriptions as well (don't read if you wanna be excited by discovering them when playing the real thing):

Green: A slow and dumb creature - easy to avoid but tough to take down.
Pink: A quick and intelligent hunter that will use vision and hearing to track you. Try to not let it spot you to begin with!
Blue: This one can climb walls and ceilings. Nowhere is safe.
White: A passive but deadly hunter. It blends into its environment and ambushes you when you're passing by.
Yellow: Alone they're not much of a threat, but most often they hunt in packs - intelligently cooperating to track and kill you.
Red: A fast, strong and smart hunter with excellent vision and hearing. But what makes it most deadly is its persistance. Once it spots you it will never give up the hunt. Be aware!

EDIT: These descriptions will probably be in the menu, to add a little flavour. So if anyone wants to help out with the english that's appreciated.

EDITEDIT: Actually, whenever you guys spot some mistakes please point them out. For text that's going in the game that is, nitpicking my devlog posts would be kind of obnoxious Tongue
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 12:54:29 PM by JLJac » Logged
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #546 on: July 28, 2013, 06:31:33 PM »

Nice portraits and interesting to read about the different lizards.  Descriptions are also written well Smiley

artemi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: July 28, 2013, 09:21:07 PM »

I love the White one's face. It looks so... sleepy and lazy lol.

Gotta say though, the one I'm most hyped to face off against is the Yellows. Four or five in a map sounds... intense!
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #548 on: July 30, 2013, 01:04:11 AM »

Update 155
Made portraits for the lizards for selecting them in the sand box mode menu.

Since I've already given up on keeping this devlog spoiler free, here are their descriptions as well (don't read if you wanna be excited by discovering them when playing the real thing):

Green: A slow and dumb creature - easy to avoid but tough to take down.
Pink: A quick and intelligent hunter that will use vision and hearing to track you. Try to not let it spot you to begin with!
Blue: This one can climb walls and ceilings. Nowhere is safe.
White: A passive but deadly hunter. It blends into its environment and ambushes you when you're passing by.
Yellow: Alone they're not much of a threat, but most often they hunt in packs - intelligently cooperating to track and kill you.
Red: A fast, strong and smart hunter with excellent vision and hearing. But what makes it most deadly is its persistance. Once it spots you it will never give up the hunt. Be aware!

AHHHH this actually helps me a lot right now haha

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: July 30, 2013, 12:00:44 PM »

That means he's doing the lizard growls! :D
Bandages
« Reply #550 on: July 30, 2013, 02:06:52 PM »

If you're looking for text nitpicks, the "be aware" part of the red lizards description could be changed to "beware" which is a more direct warning
pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #551 on: July 30, 2013, 02:24:30 PM »

After debating it for a while, I read through the descriptions. Interesting! I'm looking forward to trying to take on groups of the yellow ones, in specific.

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #552 on: July 30, 2013, 04:55:49 PM »

Seeing this game for the first time now and it looks amazing. Everything looks so natural.

Keep the good work Smiley

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #553 on: August 04, 2013, 01:26:28 AM »

Update 156
The menu is more or less done now. I have also made a few new graphical assets and hunted down one or two level editor bugs.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #554 on: August 07, 2013, 09:12:34 PM »

Update 157
More stuff with the custom game framework. Made an option that gives you a spear every time you go down into a den.

Also James has started making lizard sounds! They're sounding very cool so far Smiley
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: August 10, 2013, 10:44:35 AM »

Hm... made a new version of the typeface. Old above, new below.

What do you guys think?
Dr. Cooldude
« Reply #556 on: August 10, 2013, 10:51:59 AM »

I like it! the new one is so much easier to read :D
rundown
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #557 on: August 10, 2013, 11:23:00 AM »

When making a logo, do you use existing fonts? Or just make it yourself?

Sean Raia
Level 0

Iterate!

View Profile
« Reply #558 on: August 10, 2013, 11:29:25 AM »

Art style is sexy as fuck and the gameplay looks kind of neat.

Keep up the good work!

Wanna talk? I'm always looking to meet and network with other indies!
Shoot me an email at
[email protected]

http://seanraia.blog.com/
MrPlosion1243
« Reply #559 on: August 10, 2013, 12:25:29 PM »

The new typeface is definitely better. Also maybe a little tick above the n would help?
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic