Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411634 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: wcored

May 13, 2024, 01:34:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)When pixel art and polygons make love
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Author Topic: When pixel art and polygons make love  (Read 22869 times)
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2009, 09:37:05 PM »

Yeah, that is a good point. It wasn't around as long as pixel art, so it doesn't have the same nostalgia love.
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2009, 11:44:56 AM »

You know, I really enjoyed Quake, but I think the graphics are goddamn ugly and terrible.

Vagrant Story had a good look to it, I think, but Quake always looks like it has some horrible UV mapping problems or something. The textures are all stretched and gross-looking.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2009, 11:52:14 AM »

I actually liked the monsters from Quake 1, in particular the shamble, whom I thought it was demonic sasquatch.

I played Quake 2 first, so it is not nostalgia bias.

I loved FFIX graphics. They are not exaclty very low poly, but they still look wonderful.

Squiggly_P
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2009, 01:00:34 PM »

I think a lot of the PSone games had great graphics.  I like that sort of chunky look to the graphics, tho.  Have to keep in mind that back in the early-mid 90's most game artists had not had much experience with 3D or texture mapping, so even the best of the best probably didn't know a lot of the tricks for making the most of texture space and such.  The games on the PSone started looking really really good in 1999 or so, and that was a good 4-5 years after it was released.

I think it's true with most consoles that the best looking games tend to come out right at the end of it's lifecycle as developers are both used to the limitations as well as experimenting with visual styles to get more bang for their buck.  Breath of Fire IV, Final Fantasy IX, Tronne Bonne, Front Mission 3, Fear Effect and a number of other games that were notable for their atypical graphics all came out in 2000 (according to Moby Games, anyway...)
Nitro Crate
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2009, 01:04:12 PM »

for the naysayers:

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?PHPSESSID=6a983865e03b4acc30c8e9007e85a5bd&topic=7921.0

That first image is pretty hot right?
Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2009, 01:29:44 PM »

I think the hero character is even smexier.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2009, 03:21:27 PM »

Man, that 'hero' guy rocks my socks off.
Halcyon
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2009, 04:21:00 PM »

I have so many bookmarks and saved youtube videos for Blender that by the time I stopped using it and started focusing on programming I haven't even watched them all.

Low poly character tutorial(not mine):

Have another one but I can't find it sorry.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 06:16:55 PM by Halcyon » Logged
michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2009, 04:54:09 PM »

the whole low poly board at pixelation is fantabulous
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?board=17.0

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2009, 05:05:21 PM »

I can do one, tho it will take a day or three to get it finished / online and it will probably be really basic.  Probably just something simple like a treasure chest or something like that.  Will do a full tut - modeling, UV mapping and texture in Blender so you can see the whole process and I'll see if I can record the whole thing to video.  I love video tuts.

I'd totally be down to do some lowpoly collaborations.  I've been wanting to get into doing some games, but I've never been able to wrap my skull around the programming stuff.

EDIT: Might take a day longer, as I've just spent a couple hours trying to figure out why my mic wasn't working.  It's midnight now, so I've got some sleeping to do.  Will make the vid tomorrow.  Sorry.

Incidentally, if you guys have IRC, there are a number of blender channels on freenode.  I hang in #blenderchat and #smc pretty much constantly, and people are generally helpful in there :D

say, I'm an art/music person, how about we make a game! all we need is a programmy type person...

that is, if you down for the cause. Gentleman

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2009, 12:58:02 AM »

You know, I really enjoyed Quake, but I think the graphics are goddamn ugly and terrible.

Vagrant Story had a good look to it, I think, but Quake always looks like it has some horrible UV mapping problems or something. The textures are all stretched and gross-looking.

it's why quake models had two planar set of uv, like.. back and front  Grin

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2009, 02:58:18 AM »

I think lovemaking between polygons and pixels still have some way to go. When the polygons are squeesed by perspective the pixels are too, making it obvious that they are just low-rez textures in a high-rez world.

The true beauty of pixel-3D must be achived by filters, not just pixellated textures. I want a 3D game from which a screenshot looks like pixel art.
letsap
Level 5

Have faith...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2009, 01:06:46 PM »

That's a cool idea. I look around at some of the more incredible pixel art paintings (I guess) and picturing them animated is always cool, but animated and 3D would knock socks off even in the commercial market, I think.

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2009, 03:39:35 PM »

I wanna try 3D->pixelart sometime. It's an interesting challenge trying to put the artistic choices of where to put pixels into an algorithm.

Corpus
« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2009, 03:55:00 PM »

I don't like the Quake models at all. Good low-poly models tend to be cartoony, having very stylised or exaggerated features (which is why the TF2 cast lent itself so well to the style). Those Quake models are fairly shapeless and characterless, in my opinion.
jakten
Level 0

さわるとふらふらワタボー!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2009, 04:32:10 PM »

I think lovemaking between polygons and pixels still have some way to go. When the polygons are squeesed by perspective the pixels are too, making it obvious that they are just low-rez textures in a high-rez world.

The true beauty of pixel-3D must be achived by filters, not just pixellated textures. I want a 3D game from which a screenshot looks like pixel art.

You can achieve this look if you choose the camera angles and distance from the character right. I've moved my 3d models so that the pixels in the texture are a pixel in size on the view. Also if you set the depth of field to be really low on the cameras I think you can get very little depth distortion. There are lots of things I want to try to get the effect proper unfortunately my computer is on the fritz so I haven't been able to mess around as much as I'd like to.

Also thanks guys XD I never would of thought people would be admiring my work so.

Fez did a really good job at rendering pixel art in 3D I think. Perfectly in fact. Sadly that method would be really hard to pull off if you wanted to add animation.

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2009, 05:17:45 PM »

I'd rather see next-gen painterly filters... make a game that looks like a Dali painting or something.

srsly, all this new system power and developers are putting it all to waste by giving so many 360 games a realistic/lookslikealltheothergames look.

FishyBoy
Level 7

Make like a tree and get the hell out of here

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2009, 07:22:02 PM »

I don't like the Quake models at all. Good low-poly models tend to be cartoony, having very stylised or exaggerated features (which is why the TF2 cast lent itself so well to the style). Those Quake models are fairly shapeless and characterless, in my opinion.
Maybe the generic grunts, but...

Can you really tell me that this lil' guy doesn't have any character?
Lucaz
Level 6

Indier than thou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2009, 08:19:26 PM »

In game it looked better, but there, it looks kinda ugly, but works mostly for the lack of detail. That's why the ogre and soldiers are just...  WTF

Quake aged badly. In it's time it was great, but now it seems rather dull, gray and boring

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2009, 08:52:54 PM »

But he's so furry and cuddly, don't you just want to run up to him and give him a great big hug?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic