Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411711 Posts in 69403 Topics- by 58457 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 06:42:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWii U
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: Wii U  (Read 47383 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2011, 08:02:23 AM »

lolwat

this sort of undermines the whole concept of the thing

hey guys we just found an awesome new way to play local mulitplayer but guess what you cant actually use it
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 08:07:26 AM by C.A. Sinclair » Logged
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2011, 08:07:08 AM »

I thought of a motto.

The Wii's phrase was, "Wii would like to play."
The Wii U's will be, "Wii U play with us?"
HDSanctum
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2011, 08:24:25 AM »

"Wii U watch me play on my awesome new controller? U can use the old one."
[RM8]
Level 10

☆☆☆☆☆

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2011, 08:28:27 AM »

Shocking to hear that they seemingly won't allow multiple new controllers at once! I wonder if NGP + PS4 will be able to swoop in on this gimmick and edge Wii U out?
The other players can use their 3DS. It was possible to use the DS as a controller for some Wii games like Pokémon Battle Revolution.
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2011, 08:43:08 AM »

OMG Notch please port Minecraft for it!

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2011, 09:10:37 AM »

Shocking to hear that they seemingly won't allow multiple new controllers at once! I wonder if NGP + PS4 will be able to swoop in on this gimmick and edge Wii U out?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_Play
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2011, 09:20:10 AM »

FAN Mock up furry:

if you are too lazy to check kotaku, let's hunt internet for more

But while it's convenient, the hype has been killed now

PowRTocH
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2011, 09:57:40 AM »

playing fighting or fps games on that thing

yeah okay
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2011, 10:17:34 AM »

Looks perfect for RTS games, also liked the Sniper idea...

Miyamoto talked about Karaokes in Japan where people can select their songs while others are singing, sounds like a nice feature for music games like Rock Band, could be extended to fighting games (next players can select their characters while their friends are playing).

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2011, 11:21:23 AM »

http://When Nintendo ships Wii U next year, it expects the console and its unique touchscreen-based controller to sell for more than ¥20,000 ($250), according to media reports.

When the Kyoto-headquartered company launched its last home console in 2006, it priced the Wii at $250 in the States and ¥25,000 in Japan, occasionally marking the system down as consumer demand declined
source gamasutra

No "lan" controller multiplayer
Higher price than current gen for roughly the same power
No true big nintendo games reveal (they didn't even start working on them)
Port of third party games
Similar concept with new ios and onlive app on tablet

What's the draw of the console seriously? It smell dreamcast

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2011, 12:20:39 PM »

http://When Nintendo ships Wii U next year, it expects the console and its unique touchscreen-based controller to sell for more than ¥20,000 ($250), according to media reports.

When the Kyoto-headquartered company launched its last home console in 2006, it priced the Wii at $250 in the States and ¥25,000 in Japan, occasionally marking the system down as consumer demand declined
source gamasutra

No "lan" controller multiplayer
Higher price than current gen for roughly the same power
No true big nintendo games reveal (they didn't even start working on them)
Port of third party games
Similar concept with new ios and onlive app on tablet

What's the draw of the console seriously? It smell dreamcast

Nothing was announced about "lan" controller multiplayer yet, who knows, maybe we'll get it.
Price is not defined yet, they just said it's going to cost more than the Wii (the cheapest PS3 is still 299, WiiU could end up costing that) and we don't know the exact power of the thing, from the tech demo they've showed it looks like the difference is quite significant.
THQ, Namco and Ubisoft announced they are working on exclusive titles for the thing, as for Nintendo, Smash Bros and Pikmin were "announced", the system launch window is "April/2012 to December/2012", they're probably waiting for a better definition to announce stuff.
iOS and Onlive can't do all the stuff this does, for once they don't have buttons! PSVita with the PS3 could though.

Summing up, I don't think we have enough information to go judging it's success yet.

Meanwhile, here's an "extended cut" of the developers impressions video that Nintendo showed:

Some interesting ideas of how to use it there

mirosurabu
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2011, 12:38:24 PM »

Fez coming to Wii-U:

[RM8]
Level 10

☆☆☆☆☆

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2011, 12:49:15 PM »

These mock-ups are way better than those 'tech demos' Nintendo showed yesterday. It almost makes me like the idea.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2011, 01:42:36 PM »

Nothing was announced about "lan" controller multiplayer yet, who knows, maybe we'll get it.

SO far there is no mock up with more than one tablet, wait and see, but the wind show the wrong direction right now Huh?

Price is not defined yet, they just said it's going to cost more than the Wii (the cheapest PS3 is still 299, WiiU could end up costing that) and we don't know the exact power of the thing, from the tech demo they've showed it looks like the difference is quite significant.

More than the wii is already too much, Xbox is way cheaper and more mature.

I didn't find the tech demo impressive, it look like it's principally texture but not much more anything else. Also with megatexture and looming voxel engine, or the simple optimization of relief mapping, all console are likely to make a huge bump in details without munch hardware requirement.

THQ, Namco and Ubisoft announced they are working on exclusive titles for the thing, as for Nintendo, Smash Bros and Pikmin were "announced", the system launch window is "April/2012 to December/2012", they're probably waiting for a better definition to announce stuff.

Waiting to see something, smelling mass port. Also pikmin is likely to be a repurposed wii game like Zelda twilight. They had confirm that dev on smash bros has not yet start (sakurai goes so far it's too early to announce that) and it's not a game that takes 1 year to make, sakurai did not even finished Kid Icarus yet.

iOS and Onlive can't do all the stuff this does, for once they don't have buttons! PSVita with the PS3 could though.

Button is more like convinience, but the streaming and multiscreen part is there, Onlive sell a "universal" controller too to complement his service. They have gyro and they have camera, and touch is multi. It's not exactly the same but it enough of a variant (unless Lan multi is confirm).

Summing up, I don't think we have enough information to go judging it's success yet.
You are right, it's speculation but yet not unfounded. Let say it's a big bad Worry.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 01:49:34 PM by Gimmy TILBERT » Logged

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2011, 02:02:34 PM »

I'm not sure what to think of Onlive it's kind of a double edged sword imo.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2011, 02:05:59 PM »

Onlive is not mature yet and they need to prove themselves, but anyone can take the idea and run with it it will be the future.

Also gimmy lan multi on WII U that's all need K thx!

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2011, 02:14:30 PM »

Onlive is not mature yet and they need to prove themselves, but anyone can take the idea and run with it it will be the future.
That's not what I mean. The benefits are obvious but the downside is that it's another step in the direction of "loaning" games instead of owning them and making them dependent on both the internet and a specific company's (whether that's Onlive or someone else) services. It limits user freedom.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2011, 02:22:53 PM »

Yeah that's true, but at least i could play game on my current hardware, and it will not be bound to hardware power slippery evolution. We can't have it all unfortunately. There is a lot of play I can't play, and as long as indie is there ...

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 08, 2011, 04:02:48 PM »

1) There is an error in the video... I thought that the Wii U could be stood vertically, but the pieces of plastic I describe in the video as feet are not feet. The Wii U will not stand, not on its own. It needs to lie down.

2) You can see four USB ports for this system and an SD Card slot. You won't see an Ethernet jack, suggesting that, like the Wii, this Nintendo console is made to go online strictly via Wi-Fi. Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime cautioned me not to conclude that. Sounds like this design, while apparently final, is still open to some tweaks.

3) You won't see GameCube memory card slots, which the Wii had. That's because Wii U can play Wii games, but isn't backwards compatible to GameCube.

4) You won't see a way to plug the rechargable screen controller into the Wii U. The yellow port I point out in the video is power, the black port an AV port. Perhaps the controller plugs into USB, or there'll be a USB power dock? Hard to say. We've not been shown whatever charging station will be used to recharge the controller.

5) The unit didn't feel much heavier than a Wii, though it's not clear if this unit is a finished device with all the required guts. The machine seems to be about as wide as a Wii, and similarly thick, but it does appear to be longer. To use a metaphor rather than an actual size comparison, think of the relative relationship between letter size paper and legal size paper.
kotaku

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2011, 04:14:49 PM »

Yeah that's true, but at least i could play game on my current hardware, and it will not be bound to hardware power slippery evolution. We can't have it all unfortunately. There is a lot of play I can't play, and as long as indie is there ...
oh so your insistence that cloud computing for video games is the future and that anyone who indulges in it will instantly be successful with a troublesome fledgling technology requiring massive infrastructure support is because you have a bad pc. gotcha.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic