Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411708 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58457 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 04:04:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhat are you reading?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 95
Print
Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 211747 times)
Corpus
« Reply #180 on: April 21, 2009, 10:14:55 AM »

Mr. Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Grey.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 08:48:43 AM by Corpus » Logged
Fuzz
« Reply #181 on: April 21, 2009, 04:55:48 PM »

- Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs, and Steel.
Lips Sealed I hate that book. Terribly oversimplified.
mjau
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 21, 2009, 05:19:49 PM »

Jasper Fforde's lost in a good book. (so am I)
Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: April 21, 2009, 05:31:58 PM »

Oh god.
I'm reading 7 different series at once (cause the books aren't out)
Demonata
Last Apprentice
Edge Chronicles
Twilight
Chaos Walking
A couple others I can't think of...

AaronAardvark
Level 1

Formerly RazputinOleander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: April 21, 2009, 05:38:59 PM »

• All New Square Foot Gardening
  • Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers
  • The Homebrewer's Garden
  • Candide by Voltaire
  • Infinite Jest

And a couple I haven't been keeping up on so well:
  • The Shock Doctrine
  • Blue Gold
Jonas Kyratzes
Level 1

Yes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: April 22, 2009, 02:44:38 AM »

Ever since I read his essay on why agriculture was the worst thing that ever happened to humanity, I've had this burning desire to find Mr. Diamond and take away his scientific credentials. Ideology and science do not mix well. (That also goes for Mr. Memes-Explain-Everything Dawkins.)

"Moderate strength is shown in violence, supreme strength is shown in levity." - G. K. Chesterton
http://www.jonas-kyratzes.net
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: April 22, 2009, 03:03:54 AM »

Mr. Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Grey{/i].

I read a short abbreviated version of that in high school, I remember it was something like 30 pages long. I later learned that it was actually an entire novel of around 300 pages, I thought it just really was that short.

I'm not really reading anything right now, myself. I feel as if I've lost the ability to read seriously, due to the attention-deficit effects the internet gives. I used to be able to read 768-page books in a single day, and now anything longer than 30 pages makes me feel bored.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 22, 2009, 04:32:57 AM »

Today I read some short stories by Peter Carey. I think "Crabs" is my favourite short story now. I want to make a game of it...

siiseli
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 22, 2009, 04:35:58 AM »

100 bullets, a rather interesting comic book.
Fuzz
« Reply #189 on: April 22, 2009, 07:20:13 AM »

I'm not really reading anything right now, myself. I feel as if I've lost the ability to read seriously, due to the attention-deficit effects the internet gives. I used to be able to read 768-page books in a single day, and now anything longer than 30 pages makes me feel bored.
That's really terrible. I don't really see how this would be a direct effect of the internet, though.
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: April 22, 2009, 07:58:53 AM »

Ever since I read his essay on why agriculture was the worst thing that ever happened to humanity, I've had this burning desire to find Mr. Diamond and take away his scientific credentials. Ideology and science do not mix well. (That also goes for Mr. Memes-Explain-Everything Dawkins.)
I think there are some points where he tries to explain too much, although a lot of it makes quite a bit of sense.  Why shouldn't societies with abundant, easily cultivated crops fare better in the long run?  What else can we use to explain the vast technological differences between the Old and the New Worlds before Columbus' "first contact?"

The only issue that I have with the book so far is his claim that hunter-gatherer societies have to concentrate all of their time and energy on hunting.  This is not necessarily true; on average, modern hunter-gatherer societies actually have more free time than industrial societies.

Chris Pavia
« Reply #191 on: April 22, 2009, 08:26:54 AM »

That's really terrible. I don't really see how this would be a direct effect of the internet, though.

Your comment reminded me of an article I read awhile back, which discusses that very thing:

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200807/google

And to stay more on topic, I'm not really reading anything at the moment.  I'm about half way through the first book in the Otherworld series, but life has been pulling me in too many directions to sit down and read lately.  The book is really good at least!
Corpus
« Reply #192 on: April 22, 2009, 08:50:26 AM »

100 bullets, a rather interesting comic book.

Brilliant. I love the art style, and especially the colouring. I have a collection called Hang Up On The Hang Low. I think it might be the 4th volume of the series? Not sure. It's good stuff, anyway.
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 22, 2009, 08:52:47 AM »

Just finished a tome of Bulgakov's short stories. They were excellent.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Corpus
« Reply #194 on: April 22, 2009, 08:54:45 AM »

Just finished a tome of Bulgakov's short stories. They were excellent.

In the original Russian, I suppose... you wouldn't happen to know of any good translations, would you?
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 22, 2009, 09:04:39 AM »

No, I actually don't Sad

He's very badly translated in general, unfortunately. I remember spending hours reading different translations of The Master and Margarita to pick the best one for my girlfriend, and they were all quite terrible.

Sometimes I get delusional and think that maybe I could translate him myself some day. I was entertaining the idea of attempting to translate one of his shorter short stories and see how it goes.

Nava
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: April 22, 2009, 09:47:36 AM »

I remember spending hours reading different translations of The Master and Margarita to pick the best one for my girlfriend, and they were all quite terrible.

I obviously don't know Russian so I have no means of comparison to the original, but I've read a few versions of Master and Margarita and I found the Pevear & Volokhonsky translation to be the best... It captured the humor and impact of the scenarios better than some of the others I've read.

But again, I couldn't compare it to the original Russian.  Shrug
Corpus
« Reply #197 on: April 22, 2009, 09:57:15 AM »

Yeah, I always read Pevear & Volokhonsky's translations of Dostoevsky, but I'm never sure how much is being lost from (or added to) the original text.

I'm kind of tempted to learn Russian just to read this stuff. I'd really love to read Mikhail Lermontov's work, as well, since he was such a ridiculously impressive person.

You should definitely try a translation, Ivan Smiley
SilverSpoon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 22, 2009, 10:04:53 AM »

Currently reading DeathNote. I'm a bit of a softie for manga and this one is refreshingly good.

*sigh* me and my guilty pleasures Embarrassed
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 22, 2009, 10:09:01 AM »

Yeah, the Pevear & Volokhonsky version of Master and Margarita is definitely the best one, but I still found many of its parts to be awkward and unwieldy. I mean, it's impossible to translate anything perfectly, but I've read a few translations from Russian that I was very impressed with, so I know that it's not impossible. (Though to be fair, they were translations of contemporary writers, whose language is much easier to translate).

I should check out Pevear & Volokhonsky's Dostoyevsky translations.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 95
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic