Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411708 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58457 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 03:34:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesGamejolt
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Gamejolt  (Read 7198 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« on: May 10, 2009, 04:28:32 PM »

http://gamejolt.com/

Anyone tried this yet? Apparently you upload your freeware game to them, and they pay you a 50% share of the ad revenue that the site makes. So it's a way to monetize freeware through advertising. I don't know how much the typical game makes, though. I recognize some of YMM's games there -- have they made any money yet if you don't mind saying?

I added one of my games: http://gamejolt.com/freeware/games/action/alphasix/119/
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 04:52:43 PM by Paul Eres » Logged

valkrin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 04:58:23 PM »

I just made an account this afternoon but haven't added any games yet... since they are all still incomplete. Sad
*Goes back to writing volumes of code*
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 05:06:32 PM »

Yeah, I read about this on IndieGames (in a very tasteless post  Lips Sealed), and am quite curious about it (well, technically I have no reason to be curious yet, but yeah).

Any info from people using it would be swell.  Smiley
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 05:08:56 PM »

yeah, i don't like michael rose's posts as much as timw's, he always writes in what seems to be an overly wordy style and posted like 100 times on stalin vs martians. but it's good that timw is getting a more reliable helper than i am to him.

mirosurabu
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 05:11:40 PM »

Nobody is making money yet, as far as I know.

From here:

Well, here's how it will go down. Once it's ready to be put into closed beta (not too long now), we'll start picking developers to test it out. Just sign up on the site at any time, and you'll automatically be placed into the hat we draw names from for the beta program. We'll only pick your name if you have a game on the site (for obvious reasons), so be sure to add a game or you won't be considered.

I have added three of my games just for experimentation. One of them is now listed in top rated games thanks to someone rating it with 5.

Would be interesting to see how this will turn out.
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 07:18:33 PM »

Really? They give you money?

I uploaded a game there months ago and haven't heard from them since and knew nothing about there being money involved, I just thought it was a freeware game portal...

I guess I'll have to keep checking up on it now...

It'd be nice to make a a few bucks off my silly little GM projects.
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 07:22:23 PM »

I just uploaded two of my games (Jumper Three and FLaiL) there after reading the indiegames.com/blog article.  Figure it's worth a shot.

As of right now FLaiL has 5 views, 2 plays, 0 comments.  JThree has 6 views, 0 plays, 0 comments.  We'll have to wait to see how it goes.

An Untitled Story is by far my most popular game, but it brings a lot of traffic to my site (the only place to download it) so I'm not sure if I want it downloadable elsewhere yet (I have Google Ads on my site).

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 08:28:26 PM »

This looks quite interesting.  I'm making an account now, and will upload a few games.  At the very least, it could get more exposure for my games.  Wink

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 08:44:03 PM »

I'll jump in when it gets out of beta, probably. No harm in throwing my stuff in there.

aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 01:33:00 PM »

i just put up Gray and there's no field to specify height and width of the swf. so it's like 100px wide...

Screamy

guess that's what i get in the beta...

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 07:19:36 AM »

This seems pretty cool, I figure the big sell is the "quick play" feature, which provides a no-install means of playing a game for games that aren't specifically designed for that.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 07:38:00 AM »

yoyogames.com also has something like that for game maker games. i think it works okay, it kind of turns downloadable games into flash games with *really* long load times.

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 11:48:57 AM »

It works fine. I added IAB game just now, I like this.

I like how they have Construct in the engine list.

KniteBlargh
Level 4

Blargh...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 12:03:58 PM »

I noticed that first thing as well.

I've uploaded my three little games there, and the place seems really good to me so far. I like it a lot. They offer quite a variety of features (even have a soundtrack feature so that people can listen and/or download your game music tracks which is pretty nifty). Their rating system is top notch in my opinion, that is, the maturity of the game content or whatever, that kind of thing.

mirosurabu
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2009, 12:10:21 PM »

I was surprised as well.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 12:10:30 PM »

I wasn't aware. Better upload IAB's 20 megs of soundtrack then :D

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 12:11:14 PM »

It doesn't work for me! I tried the quick play option on IAB, but it didn't work beyond the preloader. Actually, it didn't show anything but the preloader.
KniteBlargh
Level 4

Blargh...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 12:17:46 PM »

It doesn't work for me! I tried the quick play option on IAB, but it didn't work beyond the preloader. Actually, it didn't show anything but the preloader.
Quick play isn't fully functional yet. It doesn't work with my game that has an external music file, but it works with my other two. CROS is working on fixing the feature still.

mirosurabu
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2009, 12:18:54 PM »

Works for me, Valter.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2009, 12:25:34 PM »

Me too, music and all.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print