Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 05:59:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Who is working in the non-indie game industry?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Who is working in the non-indie game industry?  (Read 6753 times)
kwakkie
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 16, 2010, 10:55:46 AM »

I was just wondering if everybody here is indie, or if there are also people who are working in the more 'traditional' game industry?

I was wondering because a lot of the art here is amazing, and very inspiring, but I dont see a lot of art here that is typical for the non-indie game industry(3d stuff, detailed concept art pieces etc). Im curious if thats because this is more of a spawning ground for people aspiring to work in the conventional game industry, or if it is a deliberate style choice because indie projects are more about innovation than state of the art graphics?

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 06:33:17 AM »

First of all, I work in the traditional industry, but as a programmer.

it is a deliberate style choice because indie projects are more about innovation than state of the art graphics.

This.

easynam
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 09:08:37 AM »

Quite a few people just want to make games, and don't have the time/skills/money to get concept art and graphics like that done.

c-foo peng
Level 3

game chef

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 09:38:50 AM »

Blink

I guess I'm pretty traditional right now.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 11:03:43 AM »

I have worked in the game industry as an animator for about 5 years now i think. and I enjoy the indie scene cause it gives me freedom that i don't normally see day to day. I usually dont decide things like, "hey my character will have a top hat" , but on my own games I can.

Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 12:00:18 PM »

I'm currently working in the industry as a tester, but in the games I make on the side, I don't have the skills or time to create amazing art, nor the name recognition to have people throw themselves at me to do art for my games, so I make do with what I can make on my own.

I would imagine there's a split between folks who can't do art, so use placeholders while they work on actually designing/programming their game, and those who make it an aesthetic choice to go with more retro-looking graphics, simply because that's what they perceive is best for their game.

Also, 3D art is expensive to make, in terms of dev-hours. So using simpler graphics allows you to get more art in less time/with less effort.

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 02:38:12 AM »

One main character in the mainstream take 1 mounth to make, from the concept to the low poly mapped not counting the stop to zbrushed hipoly to bake normal. This is insanely long. Most indie do everything alone.

But that's true you have less the realistic/super hero comic style around here

Laufman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 08:54:47 AM »

I used to be in the industry as an Art Lead and Producer but have since broken away and have decided to give indie gaming a stab.

Jamie_D
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 11:53:13 AM »

I'm an Artist currently working in the Games industry. All 3d stuff though.

Jamie D
Freelance VFX Artist

Devblogs
10 Seconds of sand

On Steam
Hellscreen
Vaporwave Pinball

Free games

10 SOS
Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 10:50:51 PM »

Animator.

Randy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 08:29:37 AM »

I'm in this section.  I work in the industry as a lead artist.  Just 2D though.
PhilllChabbb
Level 0

Braaaaap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 01:19:47 PM »

I used to work in the industry a while back and switched to Indie. Best decision I made in my life! Yes, there are more risks.. but the freedom is really worth it.  Wink

DanFessler
Pixelhead
Level 3

aka Indigo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 09:45:11 AM »

Lead artist as well.  2d mostly, but 3d has been slowly creeping in.

J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2010, 07:01:30 PM »

Indie musician!

The artist formally known as "Javet."
Adamski
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 11:58:41 AM »

Was until recently, but they were a pretty weird company and the experience wasn't a very enjoyable one. Always paid late, working for unimaginative people.
Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2010, 01:43:53 AM »

I AM A 2D ARTIST MAKING ALL OF THE ART

ALL OF IT

* u *

Posting at work. Makan gam is not as fun as readan forum about mak gam!
iggie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2010, 12:31:19 PM »

I worked mainstream as a graphics coder on XBox, and general coder on numerous 3D mobile titles. I'm back to indie now donning my artist and designer hats too.

It is true the hi-def art styles of mainstream are just crazy expensive to mimic in indie, even though people often have the right skills. I'd love to make a Morrowind... but it would take me a week just to make all the objects on a single table in a corner of some peasant's hut Wink

Atnas
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2010, 05:06:18 PM »

hey now I am too!

I'm lucky to have a lot of creative freedom. It's my first week on the job and everything is sooo nice and formal and planned to great detail. haha. not like you bunch of filthy indie hippies! sustenance is the greatest motivator to actually finish things.

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2010, 03:56:23 PM »

I was up until about three weeks ago (Designer).  Can't say I miss it...  Very happy to be indie!

ink.inc
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2010, 04:08:48 PM »

Studying to be a Civil Engineer; currently unemployed, but that's just until I get my bearings in a new city.

For me, making games is a hobby, not a career. Being an indie dev full time sounds really stressful and unhealthy... and I'd like a diet that consisted of things other than top ramen (COOKIES OM NOM NOM). Still, I love it to pieces, and maybe once I have a stable paycheck/ a really good game, I'll think about delving into the business.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic