Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411745 Posts in 69406 Topics- by 58460 Members - Latest Member: hideworks

May 23, 2024, 11:23:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingTetris + Shmup = Tetrishmup (Prototype)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Tetris + Shmup = Tetrishmup (Prototype)  (Read 3367 times)
Nagnazul
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2010, 06:28:58 AM »

http://www.nagnazul.com/tetrishmupv1.0.swf

Basically, you play tetris. And while you do that, cannons will try to shoot down your tetris blocks, so you need to dodge the shots (or it'll make nasty holes in your blocks!)

The game starts out pretty easy and adds on cannons every time you gain a level, I've never gotten farther than level 8.

Have fun!

This was a crazy idea I had a while ago (http://nagnazul.blogspot.com/2010/03/impromptu-game-design.html). Since I had some free time today, I picked up flash and decided to make a prototype.

I'd love some feedback on this!

Thanks!

http://www.nagnazul.com/tetrishmupv1.0.swf
Retroman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 06:59:24 AM »

Fun game! Quite an interesting variation of Tetris, and it works very well too! It's challenging, but not in a frustrating way.

My only complaint is that the turrets look a bit amateuristic, and sometimes they appear on top of each other which doesn't look so polished. Since this is a prototype though I guess those are just placeholder graphics.

All in all, good job!
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 07:15:27 AM »

Pretty fun idea. I wonder if it's possible to have the turrets be placed on top of the placed blocks, shooting up at the block falling down. That way you'll be able to destroy turrets by landing your block on top of them, while also risking your block being smashed when in the line of fire...?

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
PhilllChabbb
Level 0

Braaaaap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 07:20:08 AM »

Fun game! Definitively a nice twist to good old Tetris.

I guess one thing that bugs me a bit is (might be a bug) sometimes let's say a T shape gets hit at it's bottom part, you place it and it kind of sticks the piece in mid-air which is kinda weird.( It happened on other occasion with different blocks too)

Good job overall.  Smiley

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 07:57:46 AM »

excellant

ishlilith
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 08:39:46 AM »

Liked it.

Just today I started a game that is a mix between space invaders and picross. So I found this funny.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 11:25:42 AM »

Clever idea.  Smiley
Xecutor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 07:54:16 PM »

Very fun!
But rotation of 2x2 piece is wrong (IMO).
Normally you don't need to rotate it. But if it was hit, you need to.
Barefists
Level 1

Prepare for unforseen consequences.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 08:32:00 PM »

Fun idea!

However, I feel that maybe the original mechanic of tetris can be utilized more - right now it feels like 2 different games that are being welded together.

For example:
If you had a bunch of enemies hacking at your bricks and you can form a line before the bricks get destroyed, the bricks explode and kill all the enemies surrounding it.

Something like that might fuse the two games together more seemlessly.
Just my 2c. Smiley

I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 04:09:00 PM »

I think you should do the above.

Also I think blocks should blow up when they get shot instead of turning grey. And something really bothers me about how slow the bullets are. I can never avoid em and it's so annoying.
I think you should put the enemies at the bottom and make it so they can only shoot directly upwards through they're collumn. Then make the bullets a lot faster so I can actually dodge em instead of slowly threading between like 3 bullets at once, which isn't fun.
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 04:55:59 PM »

Peeps here have already covered the bases, so I'll just add that the main Tetris controls of your game aren't working. Blocks shouldn't stick immediately they touch the floor, you should still be able to move them until their next descent timeout. Also, the rotation seems iffy, and when you quick-drop a block, the drop mode stays on when the next enters. And the input feels unresponsive.

Still a fun take on the game!

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
hmm
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 06:14:35 AM »

I think that the blocks that get hit should be destroyed instantly, changing the shape of the piece. The result being a far more meaningful twist on both classic tetris and shmup gameplay.

For example, the player may want to avoid the bullets because they need a particular piece, or they might want to use the bullets to whittle down the piece to change its shape. This may need balancing to discourage players from breaking pieces into single blocks, which would make the game too easy. You could do this by adding score bonuses for landing bigger shapes, or by making some of the blocks that constitute a piece indestructable

Just a few thoughts. Very promising in its current state. You've really nailed the standard Tetris gameplay, so I think some tinkering with the shmup mechanic could result in a really playable game.

Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 04:53:25 PM »

Well, I wouldn't really call it a "shmup" until the tetrominos can shoot or something but whatever. I think there should be better/more advanced ways to dodge with blocks, like... dashes or something (just because sometimes you get totally sealed off from a spot from a wave of bullets). I liked the idea, and if it had some more features (I guess what I mean like this is more melding between the colliding aspects like what was previously mentioned), was polished till it shined, and the mechanics were fine-tuned, it would be a solid mash-up game, and very enjoyable... and I hope I didn't discourage you with all the complaints. I call it tough love.

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 07:00:44 PM »

I took the Tetris/shooter idea in a totally different direction as an experiment here.

Not a very polished project, but interesting to look at.  I don't think the Linux version works anymore, for some reason.

What would John Carmack do?
Taiko
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 02:56:21 AM »

Interesting idea - you found a way to make Tetris even more nerve-wracking for me.

I was initially confused on what was happening to my blocks when they got shot.  I didn't understand that while they would disapear they would still take up space.  Maybe you could have a version where if part of a block gets hit, it is removed.  This would actually create some interesting strategy opportunities where you want to get hit.
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2010, 09:01:51 AM »

In my opinion, this felt a little slow and unresponsive.  The fact that the turret is off to the side makes it a bit awkward, and in general, it did not feel like I was really controlling the shooting.

I really like the idea, though - as others have said, you have the Tetris element down, it is just the SHMUP element that needs work.

~ Theta

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic