Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412074 Posts in 69447 Topics- by 58484 Members - Latest Member: bigdog243

June 26, 2024, 03:35:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhy are ROMs bad?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Print
Author Topic: Why are ROMs bad?  (Read 28047 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 30, 2011, 08:18:11 AM »

sega actually sells emulations of its genesis games on steam; there are sega packs where you can buy like 40 sega genesis games for 10$
GOD NO!

Sega have the worst emulator to port their old games, it's particularly broken for sonic game, better rely on regular dumped ROM

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: March 30, 2011, 08:42:55 AM »

^ I remember they mentioning adding characters and modes to old games. There was an example of Wario appearing in Super Mario World if I recall correctly. It's a shame it didn't happen.

This sounds awesome- do you have a source for this?
googoogjoob
Level 3

The Walrus is me.

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 30, 2011, 08:49:49 AM »

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

that is all
PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: March 30, 2011, 08:53:14 AM »

(he is replying to the entire thread)

Finished games: Manufactoria! International King of Wine!
And others on my site.
[RM8]
Level 10

☆☆☆☆☆

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 30, 2011, 09:39:07 AM »

This sounds awesome- do you have a source for this?

Holy crap, I didn't think I'd find it, it's from 2005 when it was still the Nintendo Revolution:
http://www.qj.net/wii/news/revolution-virtual-console-patent-uncovered.html
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: March 31, 2011, 03:04:42 AM »

That's a straw man.  You said you gained knowledge from playing the games.  If you "most certainly would not have made" those mistakes, then you didn't gain knowledge from them.  I'm obviously talking about the mistakes you *did* gain knowledge from.

But then the game's intended purpose is not to give knowledge, it's to entertain; And DA2 certainly failed at that. If BioWare had made the game specifically as satire to demonstrate how not to develop games, I might consider it differently (I'd likely not even play it, because I know plenty well how to make an RPG from all the good ones I've played - and paid for).

You intend to make games that are then pirated?  Durr...?

In a manner of speaking. Another way to put it would be that I'll let people play them for free, then decide exactly how much they want to support my development. Which is what I'm doing by "pirating" (well, the developers still don't offer direct payment, they still use obsolete middlemen, publishers, instead of connecting with their fans).

Here, why don't we use another analogy. Supposing you went to a restaurant to try it out. Even if you don't like the food in the end, you don't just walk out without paying, do you?

Food is a scarce, physical good; If I eat it, the restaurant loses it. A video game is an infinite, digital good that costs nothing to copy.

And indeed I have tried things at restaurants without paying for them. Once, I ordered a stake and it was raw. Obviously I didn't pay for it. Another time, my salad was rotten. Similarly, I "ordered" an RPG from BioWare and it was crap; I didn't pay for it. I don't know how restaurants work where you're from but over here it's far worse for a business to give customers bad service such that they never return. If my food is bad, the restaurant always apologizes and compensates. It's pretty obvious, otherwise I'd never go there again.

Of course, the restaurant didn't invest millions of dollars into developing the dish; Game developers feel more motivated to screw people over, justified by their (poor, in BioWare's case) investment, I guess.

someone made a product. you use it, you pay them for it (if possible).

I wrote a forum post. You downloaded a copy of it from the Internet and read it, thereby using it. Pay me (if possible).
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 03:10:12 AM by Core Xii » Logged
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 31, 2011, 06:55:01 PM »

Food is a scarce, physical good; If I eat it, the restaurant loses it. A video game is an infinite, digital good that costs nothing to copy.

And indeed I have tried things at restaurants without paying for them. Once, I ordered a stake and it was raw. Obviously I didn't pay for it. Another time, my salad was rotten. Similarly, I "ordered" an RPG from BioWare and it was crap; I didn't pay for it. I don't know how restaurants work where you're from but over here it's far worse for a business to give customers bad service such that they never return. If my food is bad, the restaurant always apologizes and compensates. It's pretty obvious, otherwise I'd never go there again.
Yes, but the difference is that you kept playing DA2 all the way to the end. The restaurant analogy would be more apt if it were like this: You got served a salad (allegedly rotten, although this is somewhat subjective) but you kept eating it. In fact, you ate a huge five-course meal, spending many hours at the restaurant. Then after you'd polished off the dessert you said "Well actually, the salad was rotten, the steak was raw, etc. so I shan't be paying for any of this."
If a game is worth spending 20+ hours playing it then how is it not worth spending the money that it costs?

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 31, 2011, 07:10:44 PM »

It's not because ROM travel that they are bad, they are extremely poor

PaleFox
« Reply #168 on: March 31, 2011, 11:05:10 PM »

I don't know about you, but if I received a raw steak, as you say, I wouldn't eat it first, maybe having some dessert as well, and only then say "no, I don't intend to pay you for this, because the steak was raw." Instead, I would mention it right away, and probably leave.

You know, it's like the difference between testing something for a few hours and "testing" it by using it until it is no longer of use. Like taking a car out for a test drive to the Bahamas.
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: March 31, 2011, 11:57:05 PM »

Yes, but the difference is that you kept playing DA2 all the way to the end. The restaurant analogy would be more apt if it were like this: You got served a salad (allegedly rotten, although this is somewhat subjective) but you kept eating it. In fact, you ate a huge five-course meal, spending many hours at the restaurant. Then after you'd polished off the dessert you said "Well actually, the salad was rotten, the steak was raw, etc. so I shan't be paying for any of this."

There is no difference between playing 5 minutes of a game and playing 30 hours of it (unless it's an MMO or something where I'm draining shared resources from a server). For a local game, any time and electricity lost is on me. At a restaurant a waiter serves me, I occupy a table and they wash the dishes afterwards; No such costs associated with playing a game. Once I have a copy, whatever I do with it is nothing off anyone else, and so it's irrelevant if I finish it or not.

You know, it's like the difference between testing something for a few hours and "testing" it by using it until it is no longer of use. Like taking a car out for a test drive to the Bahamas.

Except you can't test a game until it's no longer of use, since anyone can make a copy for practically no cost. The primary "use" for a game is to entertain, and regardless of whether I played DA2 for 5 minutes or 30 hours it failed to do so.

I suppose the argument is now whether I was truly entertained playing it or not, since I saw it to the bitter end. Like I've said, I simply hadn't anything better to do at the time - doesn't mean it was good or worth paying for. I've stopped playing plenty of games because they were bad; Latest example is Crysis 2 - I plan on neither finishing nor paying for it.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 01, 2011, 08:15:38 AM »

I spot a cyclic redundancy

thedaemon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: April 01, 2011, 10:14:21 AM »

Buying an old used video game doesn't put any money into the pockets of the developers. ROMs are a way to play them without having to pay a 3rd party money they don't deserve.
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: April 02, 2011, 12:42:40 AM »

Do you pay for tickets to music concerts? [...] Do you pay for movie tickets?

In both of these examples you consume some physical resource, however. You occupy a seat in the theater and the staff has to clean up after you and maintain the theater. When I have but a copy of a digital good, it has no effect on anyone else what I do with it.

I understand where you're coming from though, because I didn't like Dragon Age 2 very much either, and I also played it through to the end. But I bought it and I learned my lesson and won't be buying EA/Bioware products again.

Here's the core of the issue; You only get to vote with your wallet for the second generation game. If you always buy before you play, a developer's first sale to you is always positive reinforcement to them, even if they shouldn't be rewarded for it. Dragon Age 2 sold well and they bribed the "official" reviewers to give great scores. To their eyes, it looks like a commercial success, and we're likely to get more of the same. The only way to tell them they made a mistake is to not buy at all. And that requires playing before making the decision.

Right now the way I understand your argument is something like this "the only things that have value are physical goods, such as food or electricity." Which is not true. Just because something doesn't disappear after use doesn't mean it has no value, and therefore doesn't have to be paid for.

I completely disagree. That's exactly how it is. Digital goods are not scarce goods; They have practically infinite supply. And the economics of supply vs demand dictate that digital goods therefore have no value.

As a developer of digital goods, be it games, music or movies, you're not selling a product. The product itself it essentially worthless because it has infinite supply. What you're selling (or should be selling, if you're appropriately adapting) is the service of making more. What people actually do with your product is of no concern, because it's out of your hands, infinitely copyable and unenforceable (in private use). The only thing you should be worrying about is incenting people to support further development. Rushed product, bad quality, bugs, DLC and DRM are not incentives. Neither is "you're all criminals!".

I think it's morally insincere to reap the benefits (whether its entertainment, however slight, or lessons learned about good/bad design) of hundreds of peoples' hours of hard work, only to later decide it wasn't valuable to you. If you want to get a taste without buying it, you can play the demo.

A fair claim, but I argue that I received no benefit from playing these games. It was their decision, their risk, to sink so much work into a bad product. I feel not sorry for them one bit. People come together and labor for the stupidest things, for the "benefit" of everyone; Does not oblige me to support them in any way if I so choose. And I've already pointed out that demos are not representative of the final product, ever.

There's nothing morally insincere about it. I'm perfectly aware that if I want to play good games, it's my responsibility to support the developers of such games; Otherwise they go out of business and no more games come my way. Indeed, I have not pirated a single Valve game to date. They know how to add value to their products and rarely make stupid decisions (looking at you, Left 4 Dead 2 and Team Fortress 2).

If we want evolution to happen in any media bad developers must die. It's very simple, universe 101.

But if you play the entire thing, then it's obvious on some level you found it valuable, and therefor are obligated to pay the people that created that value, even if you don't give them the asking price.

Now there's a good idea. I'd be happy to give BioWare, say, two dollars, to nudge them in a different direction, "not good enough, try again". But I can't. They provide no facilities for me to do this. I have to pay the price on the box or nothing at all. Even worse, there's lots of middle-men: retailers, publishers, DRM companies, etc. shaving a cut off the profit. I don't want to support these obsolete entities. Again, BioWare offers no way to directly pay them for their work. I would love a pay-what-you-want, after-you-play, directly-to-developer service for all games. That's precisely what I'm going for here.

You are saying that you played the game for 30 hours because you didn't have anything better to do. That means playing the game was better and more interesting use of time than whatever it was you would normally be doing. Which means it made your life slightly better during that time period, and therefor you were entertained. That means you extracted value from the game.

Once again (did you read my previous posts on the thread...?) I did not play the game because I enjoyed it. I played it because I didn't know if I'd enjoy it or not, without playing. I played it because it had the potential to entertain me more than something else I could have been doing instead - sadly, it failed to do so. But I couldn't have known that until the end. I might have extrapolated that Dragon Age 2 wouldn't get better towards the end from the aimless beginning and middle, perhaps, but you know BioWare. The quality of their products varies greatly between sections.

This argument is nonsense. You are putting the forum post in a (semi)public space. Which means you are giving it away for free. It would be like writing a sign and putting it on your lawn and then asking people to pay you when they read it from the street. Or maybe more like going to a mall and then starting conversations with people and then asking them to pay you for the conversation.

Just as nonsense as producing an infinitely copyable digital good and trying to prevent people from doing so. If you make something and give it to people, they will share. Always have, always will. Anything you put on the Internet is free game in private use (as it should be). Time and time again it has been shown that this does not kill the industry, on the contrary, it creates new markets. It's the old, obsolete companies struggling to adapt to new technologies and culture that scream "piracy!" and beg for government bailouts.

Also, good job calling my arguments childish without actually saying what was childish about them. Ad hominem.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 12:48:29 AM by Core Xii » Logged
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: April 02, 2011, 01:57:04 AM »

If we want evolution to happen in any media bad developers must die. It's very simple, universe 101.

Discordantly, piracy hurts good developers more than bad ones. It's easy to find and pirate hits. It's harder to find and pirate shovelware - and easier to pick it up for $5 or $10 in the bargain bin.

/ But anyway, keep going

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Wolfos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 02, 2011, 02:29:18 AM »

Nintendo has already been paid back for Ocarina of Time by about 1000 times. The original creators of the game won't earn a penny more if you buy it on WiiWare.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: April 02, 2011, 06:30:28 AM »

In both of these examples you consume some physical resource, however. You occupy a seat in the theater and the staff has to clean up after you and maintain the theater. When I have but a copy of a digital good, it has no effect on anyone else what I do with it.
There are almost always empty seats in a theater. Seats are essentially an unlimited resource, unless a movie is incredibly popular. And it's easy to avoid leaving a mess for the employees.

Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 02, 2011, 07:24:47 AM »

There are almost always empty seats in a theater. Seats are essentially an unlimited resource, unless a movie is incredibly popular. And it's easy to avoid leaving a mess for the employees.

Even if the theatre didn't have to replace the seats from time to time, or clean anything, it still costs a hefty amount of money to keep that projector running.  ...And pay the liscensing fees to show the movies.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: April 02, 2011, 12:15:38 PM »

Right, but they project the movie regardless of how many people are in the audience. Adding one more person to the audience costs the theater practically nothing. By Xii's logic, movie tickets should therefore be free (or should only cost a few cents).

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 02, 2011, 03:08:34 PM »

don't buy the game (financing)
don't pirate it (add to the number and get attention)
don't spread the name (if it's bad they want to see why)
= don't support the dev

do the opposite for good game? Huh?

Retsupaly
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 02, 2011, 05:01:12 PM »

ROMs are morally wrong....unless you download them with piles of DRM from the Virtual Console shop

After all, you should support the developers!

....Unfortunately, those developers have long since moved on in the past 20 years and all the money goes to a monolithic conglomerate that bought out the company when it went belly up decades ago.

And these works wouldn't still be under copyright at all if it weren't for Goliaths like Disney lobbying to extend the copyright term again and again to keep Mickey Mouse out of the public domain where he belongs.

You know what? They're just bad, okay. Shut up and do what you're told. We have everything under control.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic