Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 06:30:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBattle in the Drum of Every Heart (brave class prototype! :O)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
Print
Author Topic: Battle in the Drum of Every Heart (brave class prototype! :O)  (Read 41048 times)
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 22, 2008, 11:21:00 PM »

Michael, are you going to use Game Maker for this? Because I have heard it doesn't handle multiplayer very well...

isaac
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: December 23, 2008, 02:09:21 AM »

Michael, are you going to use Game Maker for this? Because I have heard it doesn't handle multiplayer very well...

Since he opened with the declaration that it would be cross-platform, I'm guessing not.

michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: December 23, 2008, 07:55:41 AM »

prototyping will probably be done in gm or mmf so that people can tinker with them, but the real game will be in allegro or sdl, depending one who we can get to code it. those are the only two cross platform codes with multiplayer capabilities that i know of.

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: December 23, 2008, 07:57:45 AM »

Makes me wonder... has anyone made a game where you go on a vision quest?

This game looks like it could be pretty awesome. Have you done any concrete programming work on it yet?

maybe the tutorial could be in the form of vision quest

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: December 23, 2008, 12:09:22 PM »

maybe the tutorial could be in the form of vision quest

That would be pretty cool and actually amazingly fitting for the setting.

I would be interested in coding, but I am only tentatively putting my offer out because I'm sort of fishing around for projects and will have to withdraw my offer if one of them actually gets some momentum.

Also I'd need to learn a good deal of stuff that I should really be learning anyways. I haven't written a network-enabled game in my life, but I know some of the high-level ideas about the implementation.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 12:58:08 PM by nihilocrat » Logged

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: December 23, 2008, 12:41:48 PM »

another thing you could check out is Brave its a ps2 game that was jsut recently ported to the wii and 360.

jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: December 24, 2008, 06:46:57 AM »

t = smoke signals
y = team smoke signals

Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right

Super-Dot
Level 1

hup hup

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 24, 2008, 03:09:20 PM »

First off, I'm super excited by this game! The art is delicious and I like the ideas so far. Beer!

You said the game should encourage tribes to stick together, and I think one way of doing that would be to have the camera dictated not only by your location, but by your tribemates'. For instance, all the members of one tribe could share one camera, whose location is the tribe's mean/median/mode. That way, if the buffalo rider runs off to the left without everyone else, he ends up running off-camera and can't see anything. Or he ends up running to the edge of the camera and he can't see in front of him, but he's always visible onscreen, even though his tribemates aren't. Or maybe the camera is moved only a small amount in the direction of the mean/median/mode of the tribe, so that he always knows where to go to find everyone else. The scouts, of course, might have their cameras work differently--maybe they could move their cameras freely (with the limit being that they have to be onscreen). And the chief could have a better camera somehow, but I'm not sure how.

Actually, I'm not sure that a mean/median/mode camera would be the best idea if implemented to the extreme, but cameras should emphasize characters' strengths. The buffalo rider should be able to see far ahead of him while he's riding, the better to avert obstacles and aim for enemies. The war drummer and shaman should have good views of their friends. Stuff like that.

Maybe animals could factor in to the war drummer's drumming. For instance, a bird could circle overhead and it would be beneficial to beat the drum every time a bird matches his x-position. Or the plants could react to and grow with his drumming, and he needs to beat the drum at the end of every flower bloom animation or something. He can't beat drums based on the music alone; he needs visual cues. What else could those visual cues be?

Maybe buffalo riders could be the only ones who can get buffalo to jump to higher ground? Then riders aren't inhibited by the weight of the animal, but other people are.

As a trackpad user, I think mouse motion should be avoided in a game such as this. Players with gaming mice have an advantage over regular mouse users and trackpad users. But that might be my ideology speaking; I don't consider multiplayer games where timing and accuracy of input make a difference to be fair unless all players have the same kind of input, AEBE. The keyboard allows for this.

I look forward to being a war drummer!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 05:42:23 PM by Super-Dot » Logged

Kelsey Higham, student at SJSU
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: December 24, 2008, 07:11:44 PM »

Actually I would be for keyboard-only controls as well. I like how responsive button-only control schemes are. Mice are incredible for some things, though.

Good luck with Yoyo Games, Michael!
Super-Dot
Level 1

hup hup

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 25, 2008, 01:32:29 AM »

Oh, mice are great! They're just suboptimal in competitive environments. I made a mouse-only avoid-the-enemies game and I found that the high scores were based more on mouse quality than on player skill. The worst players on the best hardware outperformed the best players on the worst hardware.

It was much more fun than keyboard controls would have allowed, though!

Edit: necropologies
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 05:26:41 AM by Super-Dot » Logged

Kelsey Higham, student at SJSU
michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: January 16, 2009, 04:14:29 PM »

ohhhh lawdy its the first prototype!   Hand Shake LeftCrazy Hand Shake Right

braveprototype.gmk

braveprototype.exe

andy0_0black's been fucking shit crunk as usual. anyway, theres not much yet. we're gonna put in a couple more moves and maybe a second player in a bit. but as this genre is definitely not my forte id love to get feedback and any edits youd be kind enough to give. its still going to be hard to tell exactly how the game will play. my goal is for a medium pace with a preference of strategy over button mashing.

Hand Shake Left Tiger Hand Shake Right

« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 04:18:01 PM by michael » Logged

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 16, 2009, 04:30:42 PM »

Screamy

Kiss

...What are the controls?  Roll Eyes

I can offer some immediate feedback, though. I think you should be allowed to strafe while throwing 'hawks. That way, you wouldn't have to turn your back on the enemies while you run away, and you can keep firing.

I like that you first prep the tomahawk before throwing it. The delay prevents you from just button mashing to victory, but the prep phase allows you to do some precise aiming if you want to. And reducing the jump height while you have a 'hawk prepped was also a cool idea. This is just really well designed so far!  Beer! Hand Thumbs Up Right

Actually, my only gripe has to do with the scenery. The lighter tree platforms could conceivably be mistaken for background.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 04:34:33 PM by GeneralValter » Logged
The-Imp
« Reply #152 on: January 16, 2009, 04:36:01 PM »

OH MY GOD YES. DOWNLOADING AT THE SPEED OF INDIE!
 Kiss

The movement is great... That's about all I can describe. And the axe throwing's cool.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 04:45:10 PM by Imp » Logged
pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: January 16, 2009, 04:38:24 PM »

This is awesome, I can't wait for buffalo multiplayer carnage  Hand Thumbs Up LeftKissHand Thumbs Up Right

I AM FREE!
michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: January 16, 2009, 04:47:59 PM »

controls are arrows for movement, z for jump and x for attack. we could have shift lock the direction that you face to allow for 'strafing'. andy made it so that if you throw while pressing up, you throw at a higher angle, and if you hold down you you throw at a slower speed.

also, medo42, of gang garrison said that he and a friend had started working on a 2d mulitplayer engine with very possible crossplatformness  Kiss this is great news. so if you see him around, tell him youre excited for it.

concerning the platforms. as it is now, all the platforms have that bright sea green topping which wont be used anywhere else, so i hope that that makes it clear what are solid tiles. but the art still needs a lot of work.

thanks for the feedback!

KniteBlargh
Level 4

Blargh...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: January 16, 2009, 05:01:47 PM »

*downloads*

*plays*

I won! Kiss (Actually, I fell off the edge of the game screen 'cause I was having too much fun throwing the axe...)

andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 16, 2009, 05:02:10 PM »

Screamy

Kiss

...What are the controls?  Roll Eyes

I can offer some immediate feedback, though. I think you should be allowed to strafe while throwing 'hawks. That way, you wouldn't have to turn your back on the enemies while you run away, and you can keep firing.

actually the way I coded it you can moonwalk to your heart's content. hold right and tap left once to turn around and keep holding right to moonwalk, and vice versa. I first did this in my cave story dup by accident and have been doing it since

michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: January 16, 2009, 05:18:18 PM »

oh wow, thats really neat, i think that works rather well

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 16, 2009, 05:22:51 PM »

actually the way I coded it you can moonwalk to your heart's content. hold right and tap left once to turn around and keep holding right to moonwalk, and vice versa. I first did this in my cave story dup by accident and have been doing it since
having tried a few more times, I've now noticed that you can strafe while firing. However, I've never gotten it more than once in a row, and I still never figured out what you have to do to do it. I honestly would prefer Michael's idea for it, since the current way is inconsistent/hard to pull off. I like the idea of having moves that are hard to master, but strafing is a bit too important to strategy to be one of the hardest maneuvers to pull off.
Lord Tim
Level 1

Overclocked to 20 MHz

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 16, 2009, 05:34:17 PM »

I think that he moves a little too fast. It seems like it would be difficult to hit anything that is moving that fast.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic