Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412053 Posts in 69447 Topics- by 58483 Members - Latest Member: Exye

June 22, 2024, 07:04:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesThe TIGS Wheneverly Game Discussion Thread II [DWARF FORTRESS]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: The TIGS Wheneverly Game Discussion Thread II [DWARF FORTRESS]  (Read 11750 times)
redoubtable troutbot
Level 2

The robot is your friend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2009, 08:27:42 PM »

While the UI could definitely use an overhaul, mouse support is probably one of the last things it needs. Like Duckmeister said, once you're used to it, using the keyboard is both faster and more accurate. Don't let something like that deter you from getting into the game, because once you learn the basics it's absolutely fantastic.

The epic story of Boatmurdered pretty much summarizes just why DF is so amazing.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2009, 08:41:39 PM »

I mean that I'd like to use both in tandem.
Like Diablo or something.
I agree that the keyboard can be much faster. I'd just like the option of starting out with the mouse but weaning myself off of it.

Lucaz
Level 6

Indier than thou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2009, 08:46:44 PM »

I'm quite happy with the interface, and only use the mouse when creating shafts for mining operations. I'm so used to it, I don't actually remember which are the hotkeys, but I instinctly press the right ones.

I'd tell the history of my fortress. But all my fortress have an amazing history of nothing interesting happening. Sea side fortresses are nice, but not even goblins bother to come by. I hold hopes of having something like an undead whale, or whatever.

redoubtable troutbot
Level 2

The robot is your friend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2009, 04:46:02 AM »

To hell with this "not playing" business. I'm gonna play a no miner game. My surface dwelling river-dwarves shall live off the bounties of the land and carve themselves homes out of wood rather than rock. Surely this will end in (hilarious) tragedy.

edit: So much carp... Let's hope they're not as deadly as everyone says they are.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 05:28:55 AM by redoubtable trout » Logged
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2009, 06:09:54 AM »

I'm starting to understand the basic mechanics of the game and it's really fun! It seems like even though some things are very complex, they have an intuitive basis. And Captain Duck's tutorials are really helpful, plus his voice is awesome  Corny Laugh

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2009, 09:33:30 AM »

I mean that I'd like to use both in tandem.
Like Diablo or something.
I agree that the keyboard can be much faster. I'd just like the option of starting out with the mouse but weaning myself off of it.
You can. All designations can be performed using the mouse. Digging, for example. You press [d] for designate, then you press [d] for dig. Then you click the mouse where you want to dig things.

Also, if you think the keyboard doesn't scroll fast enough, hold the shift button while you press directional keys. It makes it easier to select large places for designations at once.
Duckmeister
Level 0

Crescent Fresh

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2009, 10:19:32 AM »

To hell with this "not playing" business. I'm gonna play a no miner game. My surface dwelling river-dwarves shall live off the bounties of the land and carve themselves homes out of wood rather than rock. Surely this will end in (hilarious) tragedy.

edit: So much carp... Let's hope they're not as deadly as everyone says they are.

Yes, they are, and even 10x more so.

Carp are to be feared by every DF player.

Make sure you're not fishing, or building by the river, or drinking out of it, or anything really, because if your dwarf is doing any of those things carp will drag your dwarf into the river and kill it.  Your dwarf is defenseless really, unless he's like a legendary wrestler or something.

There is a fine line between genius and insanity.  I have erased this line.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2009, 10:21:41 AM »

Eh. Carp is really hyperbolized these days. It used to be dangerous back in the earlier versions, and you still might lose a dwarf or two in the long run, but they really aren't that bad. If you're really scared, build a platform a floor up and make a waterwheel and some screwpumps. That way you can get to the water without involving the carp.
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2009, 10:51:47 AM »

Why don't we do a succession game, a la Boatmurdered? Noir

Lucaz
Level 6

Indier than thou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2009, 11:46:29 AM »

That'd be nice. Beer!

About carps, the fortress I started for this, that failed quickly and I abandoned before a year, had lots of carps, but the one real danger was the sea lamprey. Usually a channel with a grate will stop carps of being a problem.

Duckmeister
Level 0

Crescent Fresh

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2009, 01:55:05 PM »

That'd be nice. Beer!

About carps, the fortress I started for this, that failed quickly and I abandoned before a year, had lots of carps, but the one real danger was the sea lamprey. Usually a channel with a grate will stop carps of being a problem.

And usually just staying out of the stupid river will stop carps from being a problem too.

At least that's what I do.

And I'd love to play a succession game with you folks, we'd prolly have to make a new thread though.

redoubtable troutbot
Level 2

The robot is your friend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2009, 07:09:21 AM »

A succession game sounds like loads of fun, I'd love to try it.

I've had no fish related deaths yet, though my head carpenter/expedition leader just lost an eye wrestling a pike to death. That'll show them who's boss.

Other than that and the weird bat invasion, it's been an uneventful first year in my idyllic riverside village. Let's hope it stays like that, I have big ambitions with this place.   Tongue

edit: Scratch that, my hunter just tried wrestling a deer (protip: bring bolts) and somehow wound up in the river, where he was promptly eaten by carp. I've never seen so much blood. My lovely river is ruined Sad
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 09:55:20 AM by redoubtable trout » Logged
Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2009, 10:14:54 AM »

I love Dwarf Fortress for things like that.  :D
I once had a fort where I eventually lost over 10 miners trying to carve a giant water reservoir to drown goblins in.  7 of them had even reached legendary status before mining themselves off a cliff.  I lost three at once when someone else deconstructed a bridge while they were still on it...

On a related note, never attempt to fill large multiple z-level areas with river runoff.  It takes forever.  Years of game-time, even.  Pumping from an aquifer is much, much faster.

So everyone knows about the semi-hidden 40d# versions with a redesigned OpenGL thing that ups your FPS, right?

Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2009, 10:34:18 AM »

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2009, 10:54:56 AM »

A succession game
This needs to happen  Wizard
Lucaz
Level 6

Indier than thou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2009, 12:29:02 PM »

Someone said succession game?

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=4474.0

redoubtable troutbot
Level 2

The robot is your friend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2009, 02:08:05 PM »

Wow. A sturgeon just killed one of my woodcutters, his pet cow calf, the dog that was supposed to protect him, a foolish immigrant who ventured too close to the carnage, as well as another immigrant who thought it was a good idea to wall himself in with the bloodthirsty fish. It even killed a puppy who happened to wander by. The sturgeon in question now has a name, "fulltame", which is probably the least fitting name ever.

So I decided a bit of vengeance was in order and drafted a bunch of peasants, gave them crossbows and stationed them by the river, hoping one of them would get lucky and kill the damn thing. Of course, instead of shooting, they proceeded to club the fish with their crossbows (note to self: i really need to make bolts) with predictable results.

To top it off, my only cook claimed a carpenter's workshop for some reason and is now demanding rough gems, something I'll never have, since I don't have miners. Man, I love this game.
Duckmeister
Level 0

Crescent Fresh

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2009, 02:13:19 PM »

A succession game sounds like loads of fun, I'd love to try it.

I've had no fish related deaths yet, though my head carpenter/expedition leader just lost an eye wrestling a pike to death. That'll show them who's boss.

Other than that and the weird bat invasion, it's been an uneventful first year in my idyllic riverside village. Let's hope it stays like that, I have big ambitions with this place.   Tongue

edit: Scratch that, my hunter just tried wrestling a deer (protip: bring bolts) and somehow wound up in the river, where he was promptly eaten by carp. I've never seen so much blood. My lovely river is ruined Sad

That's because carp's only attack is a blood sucking attack, and if your guy fights back, or just in general really, let's just say it's all over the place man.

Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2009, 02:22:23 PM »

Here's a direct link to Toady's Bay 12 Forum post about version 40d9, the latest version with the updated OpenGL scripts that allow the game to run faster(!).

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2009, 02:40:42 AM »

Holy shit I just tried 40d9. I had no idea it was running so slow before WTF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic