Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412120 Posts in 69453 Topics- by 58490 Members - Latest Member: tzdevil

June 30, 2024, 12:51:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCold Vengeance - 90s Style 3D Run 'n' Gun [OUT NOW!]
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: Cold Vengeance - 90s Style 3D Run 'n' Gun [OUT NOW!]  (Read 30690 times)
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: February 18, 2016, 11:47:33 AM »

Thanks for the feedback!

The demo level has a bit of a steeper difficulty curve than the actual first level of the game.  Hopefully it's not too so difficult as to prevent people from enjoying it.  I might go back and tweak the difficulty a bit.

Most enemies currently shouldn't shoot you if they're out of seeing range, but I guess there's a grey-area where they're barely visible but are still in shooting range, so I'll look into ways to fix that.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: February 19, 2016, 11:43:07 AM »

Jon Dagger is now the Proud Owner of a Face

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: February 21, 2016, 10:48:46 AM »

Burrowing Ninja

Burrowing Ninjas have been a cut feature from so many games I've made.  I think I've been wanting to include them in a game since the original Cold Vengeance flash game, and they were in the design notes for Venusian Vengeance and Ninja Outbreak.  Glad I'm finally getting them in a game.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 11:01:16 AM by Alec S. » Logged

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: February 22, 2016, 11:19:39 AM »

Cold Vengeance on Alpha Beta Gamer: http://www.alphabetagamer.com/cold-vengeance-alpha-demo/

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: February 22, 2016, 11:31:55 AM »

Thanks for the feedback!

The demo level has a bit of a steeper difficulty curve than the actual first level of the game.  Hopefully it's not too so difficult as to prevent people from enjoying it.  I might go back and tweak the difficulty a bit.

Most enemies currently shouldn't shoot you if they're out of seeing range, but I guess there's a grey-area where they're barely visible but are still in shooting range, so I'll look into ways to fix that.
Sounds good.

Just remembered a few more things:
-After the first checkpoint I fell down to see if there was something there (appearantly only death).  As the character respawned near the checkpoint, an enemy (with rocket launcher) just before the checkpoint also respawned.  It was easy to kill it but in general it's better not to have those enemies appear (especially if they shoot at you without you seeing them).
-Maybe it's just my issue but I found it diffictult to avoid the bullets.  By that I mean, many times I thought I should've been hit - but wasn't.  Perhaps, I'm more used to top or top-down point of view where it's easier to see distances.  Plus, perhaps because more than one enemy was firing, that made it even more difficult.  As mentioned before, having a more gradual difficulty curve might work better (at least for me).

Jon Dagger is now the Proud Owner of a Face

Will there be cut-scenes to see his face or 360 no scope? Grin

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: February 22, 2016, 01:50:46 PM »

Thanks again for the feedback!

Yeah, there will be cutscenes, and that's where the face will be visible, since you can't really see it during gameplay.

Also, speaking of cutscenes, introducing the Barbarian Queen:

saluk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 22, 2016, 03:41:39 PM »

Feedback time baby!

* Mouse sensitivity far too low
 * Having to press a key to pick up powerups was annoying
 * Couldn't get powerups from on top of the car when I spent so long killing those hard shooting enemies ("roll" the powerup down hill if it's not on the ground?)
 * I'm not sure about a fix, but moving backwards is kind of weird because you can't see where you are going. But you kind of need to go backwards when there are enemies that attack you and end up behind the camera

Played on a mac at work with no sound.

Like in general!

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: February 22, 2016, 10:12:28 PM »

Thanks!

Unfortunately, there has to be a button prompt for the powerups since you've got two slots and you could replace one of the slots with a new powerup if you choose.  What I will do is make the hitbox larger for the powerups so they're easier to grab.

A couple models I've been working on:

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: February 23, 2016, 10:11:53 AM »

Remembered a few more things after reading @saluk's post: Smiley
-Powerups getting stuck on top cars.  In one of the videos I remember seeing a jetpack scene and thought that might help to get those types of power-ups but my guess is that won't be always be available.
-Mouse sensitivity.  To me the mouse felt too sensitive but I'm assuming there will be an option in the final game to adjust sensitivity.
-Why is there a second crosshair?  I was thinking maybe to help aim but it didn't seem alinged with the direction (at least what I was expecting).

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: February 23, 2016, 10:41:33 AM »

There will be an option for adjusting mouse sensitivity.

The second crosshair shows the mid-point of the trajectory.  I plan on making it a different graphic to make this less confusing.

saluk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 23, 2016, 04:28:40 PM »

Maybe if you have a free slot it could autoequip? With this kind of high action shooter it's really distracting. And it's not just one key you have to press to pick it up, but you have two keys to choose from. I prefer contra where you just get your secondary weapon replaced. Imagine having to press a key to pickup a gun in quake for example!

Maybe it's fine, I don't know. Again, don't want to try too hard to be proscriptive with my feedback. I was just frustrated that I kept dying while trying to remember how to get the powerup that could have saved me, especially when I had 2 free slots.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: February 29, 2016, 01:20:00 PM »

Some more let's plays:

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: March 02, 2016, 01:18:19 PM »

Burrowing Ninja

Burrowing Ninjas have been a cut feature from so many games I've made.  I think I've been wanting to include them in a game since the original Cold Vengeance flash game, and they were in the design notes for Venusian Vengeance and Ninja Outbreak.  Glad I'm finally getting them in a game.
I wonder if it might be better to keep ninjas as "ninjas"  i.e. instead of burrowing, use smoke bombs and "teleport" themselves.  They show up anywhere in the air and won't be constrained to the ground.  Perhaps some other "moleman" creatures could be the digging.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: March 02, 2016, 11:44:40 PM »

Burrowing ninjas are a staple of the kind of 80s Hong Kong kung-fu movies that serve as a large part of my inspiration such as Duel to the Death, Ninja the Final Duel and the Ninja Death trilogy.  This game would be incomplete without them.

There will also be ninjas that teleport and throw smoke bombs, as well as ninjas who shoot fire out of the hilt of their swords a la Ninja Terminator.

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: March 03, 2016, 12:14:21 AM »

Burrowing ninjas are a staple of the kind of 80s Hong Kong kung-fu movies that serve as a large part of my inspiration such as Duel to the Death, Ninja the Final Duel and the Ninja Death trilogy.  This game would be incomplete without them.

There will also be ninjas that teleport and throw smoke bombs, as well as ninjas who shoot fire out of the hilt of their swords a la Ninja Terminator.
Oh, I see.  I wasn't aware of those.  Grin

As long as you give a somewhat distinctive look to each class of ninjas, then that could work.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: March 03, 2016, 12:21:12 AM »

Yeah, different ninja types will have significantly different color schemes.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: March 04, 2016, 01:45:44 PM »

Boomerang Barbarian

thecolonygame
Level 0

thecolonygame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: March 04, 2016, 01:51:46 PM »

Aussies finally have a cultural villain!

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 05, 2016, 09:40:16 AM »

Dance battle! scnr
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: March 05, 2016, 09:45:23 AM »

Cheesy Hand Thumbs Up Right

Screenshot Saturday: