Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411979 Posts in 69458 Topics- by 58491 Members - Latest Member: Imaynotbehere4long

July 01, 2024, 06:49:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralSexuality in games: Where to draw the line between dignity and indulgence
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: Sexuality in games: Where to draw the line between dignity and indulgence  (Read 12398 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2015, 04:08:21 AM »

No I don't base it on experience, I base it on listening to the actual people who live the problem (and doing extra research).

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2015, 04:14:55 AM »

i'm way better at being sexist and racist than video game characters
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2015, 04:29:07 AM »

i'm way better at being sexist and racist than video game characters
but you are a video game character
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2015, 04:42:38 AM »

@superb joe
So far you have insulted black and asian less than the trailer of watchdogs in your  whole career at tigs

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2015, 05:06:54 AM »

as i understand it, watchdogs is the unlikely story of a computer programmer exacting a very real and physical vengeance, whereas realistically he would leave his enemies a bunch of scathing 1 star reviews on amazon. further, the extent of his racism would be sending phrenology emails to colleagues at his tech support job.
Pfotegeist
« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2015, 11:21:43 AM »

talking about sexuality. Consider soft spoken ASMR, vocal features such as inflection/ accent, whispers, and laughter.

Simply having a more expressive way of talking can stimulate interest and emotions.
Lower tone of voice signals sexual maturity. Someone may also lower their tone of voice to talk dirty.
Laughter is a sign of playfulness, a source of fun. Fun is desirable.
Whispers must be done directly into your ear, sounds intimate.

No nudity involved   Wizard  gender neutral (until statistics crash the party at least)

The ear itself is sensitive, and quite possibly a sexual organ that was declassified because covering them up was stupid.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2015, 11:52:07 AM »

btw i dont really understand why people are so obsessed with including "sexy" characters in literally everything. i mean yeah sure i'm a Straight Man(tm) and i like looking at women i find attractive, but not 24/7 in every single piece of media.

honestly videogames are so sexualized (and almost always in the exact same way) that i find games with no "erotic" elements to be more interesting these days.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2015, 01:28:16 PM »

btw i dont really understand why people are so obsessed with including "sexy" characters in literally everything. i mean yeah sure i'm a Straight Man(tm) and i like looking at women i find attractive, but not 24/7 in every single piece of media.

honestly videogames are so sexualized (and almost always in the exact same way) that i find games with no "erotic" elements to be more interesting these days.
i dont know what the identity politics way to describe it is, but its really embarrassing to see the men and also the women in those batman games
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2015, 02:01:53 PM »

yes
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2015, 02:05:23 PM »

Ah. I think I figured out where we disagree. I don't think that there's any need for sexy/erotic/titillating stuff to be sexist. But if it's sexist, I find it problematic.

Interesting. You're the one that equated me talking about sexy games to sexism, so it's weird to see you immediately walk back on it.
I don't happen to disagree, I think sex-ifying characters is inherently objectifying. You can do it tastefully and make it appear mature rather than cheap, but once you do it, you're either putting in unnecessary eye candy or whoring out titillation for plot coupons (IE: Mass Effect), IMHO. And as in Mass Effect, being able to mix up the genders doesn't mean it's any less sexist, just means that they're willing to objectify all genders rather than singling one out.

Like I said, I don't think sexy is bad, if you can do it with pride, like the title of the thread - dignity or indulgence. It's important to remember that by definition, game characters are objects, sexy or not, and their 'realism' to appear as people is up to the creator's abilities of depiction, versimilitude, and the willingness of the audience.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2015, 02:19:24 PM »

can we post yiff in here yet

i want to post yiff

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2015, 02:22:50 PM »

Ah. I think I figured out where we disagree. I don't think that there's any need for sexy/erotic/titillating stuff to be sexist. But if it's sexist, I find it problematic.

Interesting. You're the one that equated me talking about sexy games to sexism, so it's weird to see you immediately walk back on it.
I don't happen to disagree, I think sex-ifying characters is inherently objectifying. You can do it tastefully and make it appear mature rather than cheap, but once you do it, you're either putting in unnecessary eye candy or whoring out titillation for plot coupons (IE: Mass Effect), IMHO. And as in Mass Effect, being able to mix up the genders doesn't mean it's any less sexist, just means that they're willing to objectify all genders rather than singling one out.

Like I said, I don't think sexy is bad, if you can do it with pride, like the title of the thread - dignity or indulgence. It's important to remember that by definition, game characters are objects, sexy or not, and their 'realism' to appear as people is up to the creator's abilities of depiction, versimilitude, and the willingness of the audience.
i didnt read this post but how about this one: an rpg where they use the word "questicle"
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2015, 02:24:30 PM »

Just so you know people, prudishness can be as objectifying and sexist as sexyness.

You need to understand sexism first to draw the line

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2015, 02:31:28 PM »

Just so you know people, prudishness can be as objectifying and sexist as sexyness.

i was drawing lines well before i wanted to have sex and getting classic boner style hardons. looks like you're a bit of a late bloomer when it comes to line drawing.
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2015, 02:38:04 PM »

You're the one that equated me talking about sexy games to sexism, so it's weird to see you immediately walk back on it.

Huh, what? I'm pretty sure I didn't do that, I reread my posts and couldn't find anything like that.

You said something along the lines that it's fine to make a sexy game if you can owe up to it.

I said that what I consider important is whether it's sexist (i.e. it's irrelevant whether it's sexy or not and whether you owe up to it or not).

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2015, 02:45:05 PM »

yo i wasnt saying that

just voicing my frustration with formulaic "sexy" characters (translation: boobs everywhere) in games as a tangent
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2015, 02:48:13 PM »

It was a general statement, not directed at you, just to be sure people remind what's the real problem lol

It's hard to talk about these subjects and it generally tries hard to avoid the problem for personal discomfort, which is fine but don't address the elephant of the room.

It's also hard to express criticism of "sexy design" while pointing to the real problem that isn't "the sexy" in the first place Huh?

There is a reason politician take shortcut Sad

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2015, 03:00:14 PM »

can we post yiff in here yet

i want to post yiff
PM me your yiff please

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
Faust06
Level 5

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2015, 03:35:34 PM »

The line is wherever we like it to be. Take note, it's drawn before butt slaps.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 03:43:51 PM by Faust06 » Logged
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2015, 03:50:49 PM »

Why are you against BDSM, it's about consent!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic